Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,401

3 members and 3,398 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: Would you rather own a Brazilian Rainbow boa or a Red-tail boa?

Voters
244. You may not vote on this poll
  • BRB

122 50.00%
  • RTB

122 50.00%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Would you rather own a Brazilian Rainbow boa or a Red-tail boa?

Quote Originally Posted by pugilist View Post
    I had 22 at one point - one was the spawn of satan... but was an adult when I got her and never been handled, the rest were just fine.

The babies are nippy, but you see that in a lot of species.

I am not sure why they have such a bad wrap for being mean, It was certainly not my experience.

Now - they do have a HUGE feeding response - so maybe much of the "nippy" quotes are simply keeper errors/feed response that is mis-diagnosed as mean/aggressive.
    Having cared for a lot of both, I would say that Rainbow Boas (brazilians and colombians) generally have a lot higher tendency toward aggression than Boa constrictors... I've dealt with babies and adults of both species and with the same amount of handling etc the rainbows are usually more nippy.

Not saying that all rainbow boas are evil, as I know that with proper handling and care they can be great, i just think its more in their nature to be little demons than it is for red tails

,... so basically, if you get a rainbow boa be sure to handle it enough!
    Mike Schultz
    Outback Reptiles
    mike@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262

Thanks

I personally like the Red Tail boas because I like the snakes that get a decent size and are thick, like Ball pythons. I really want a RTB, but I think it would be too much for me because I want to own many BPs and I already have a Dumeril's boa whose going to get a good 7-8 feet long so an RTB that would be 10 feet would be too much for me. Though, they are beautiful snakes.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

After seeing some BRB's this weekend and then turning around and seeing sunglow RTB's at the next table, a red tail boa any day.
    ]

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

I really like both

I don't have a redtail, but I'd like to add one maybe some day. I do have a BRB, and I prefer them ever so slightly just because I was drawn to them naturally.

Thanks

I don't have an RTB, but I do have a pair of BRBs. I love the BRBs. Mine aren't overly nippy, but have struck at me a few times while in their cages. After they are out and being held, they are completely fine. I've only kept balls before...so their feeding response is actually like a breath of fresh air. Also, I haven't had any issues maintaining humidity (I have them in sterilite tubs, on newspaper, with two water bowls instead of one).

good luck choosing!

Thanks

I would rather own a RTB just because ive always wanted one and they get big but not huge. I also love snow and sunglow boas... me wants.
    BRB seems alot harder to care for but they do look cool too.
    This is my signature
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mettle View Post
    I loved my rtb when I had him. He was a fantastic snake. Well tempered, easy to handle, etc. Some days I really regret selling him.

A brb has been on my list of "wish I could" snakes for a very long time though. They're simply gourgeous. However, their care is a bit more demanding than that of an rtb.

These are very different snakes. Different looks, sizes, care requirements... It's a tough choice.

I guess I would probably go with the brb if I had the opportunity.
    The care of these snakes (BRBs) isnt demanding at all. i keep mine in a 55 gallon. a sub adult that eats small rats. he/she does fine. they tell you these snakes need it very humid but they don't.

you can keep it in a rubber maid bin with at least two holes on all sides of the bin and its top. and for the substrate you can use the wood looking stuff that Petco sells, I forgot the name of it. as long as you keep the water dish clean and take out the feces and stuff when you see it the snake will be just fine. once it reaches a good size move it to a tank. The tank I have my rainbow in now it never gets misted at all but it has a water dish big enough to soak in.

All you have to do is keep the substrate moist so just mist the enclosure and the substrate once and not again until you see it drying out. if I can keep a brazilian rainbow boa alive and i got it from Petco, I'm sure if you brought it one from a breeder and do it the same way I started out doing it yours would stay alive too lol.

I'm actually selling mine PM if you want more details.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LizardofOzz View Post
    Having cared for a lot of both, I would say that Rainbow Boas (brazilians and colombians) generally have a lot higher tendency toward aggression than Boa constrictors... I've dealt with babies and adults of both species and with the same amount of handling etc the rainbows are usually more nippy.

Not saying that all rainbow boas are evil, as I know that with proper handling and care they can be great, i just think its more in their nature to be little demons than it is for red tails

,... so basically, if you get a rainbow boa be sure to handle it enough!
    What do you mean by aggression? I have had my rainbow for a year and a few months and unless it smelled food it has never bite/nipped me ever. every time I take it out in public many people of different ages hold it and it never gets irritated, or anything else nor does it nip. so I'm not sure at all where the aggression you are seeing in these comes from.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ballpython2 View Post
    What do you mean by aggression? I have had my rainbow for a year and a few months and unless it smelled food it has never bite/nipped me ever. every time I take it out in public many people of different ages hold it and it never gets irritated, or anything else nor does it nip. so I'm not sure at all where the aggression you are seeing in these comes from.
    have you worked with many rainbow boas?

One snake does not imply a trend. I think it's a fair assessment to say that a BRB is more likely to be nibby than the various BC subspecies. With ALL snake species, there are those that you can handle as you wish and they will never bite, and there are those that you can't look at without getting tagged.

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

My BRB is generally fine, but he has nipped me once. He was new, though, and had been through a lot of change.

I have four balls who would love to eat you, though! And the rest are sweet.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast