Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,900

0 members and 2,900 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tank messup

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts

tank messup

ok so i have a small store bought python and i have her in a big 40 gallon tank... i was told that a 10 - 20 gallon would suffice and that a 40g is too big.. =/ she has lived in it since dec or jan, but no problems have come up. the vet pic was just a checkup (since i bought her from petco and i dont trust them). i was wondering if i should buy a 10-20 gallon tank and move her there instead, or would that cause too much stress? if i DID move her, i would have to adjust heating of the tank, so if theres a heat/humidity/husbandry guide for setting up a smaller 10-20 gallon tank.

picture of snake to show size(after vet checkup):
    http://img39.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1390.jpg
    picture of tank to show size (old pic; made a few more purchases):
    http://img39.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mypython.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: tank messup

Well since she's doing fine in the 40 gal. just clutter it up with more foliage. Has she taken meals?
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

shes definately eating, but i feed her in a seperate container with a lid. i'd rather not have any accidents with the aspen bedding.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Well if she is eating for you and shedding ok I wouldn't say there was a massive pressure to change anything.

That being said there are a few suggestions we could make that might make her environment a bit better for her if you would be ok with that?

Have a quick read through the caresheet.

I can't see what you use to measure the temperatures and humidity in that picture - we tend to suggest the acurite digital weatherstation with probe from wallmart for about $12.

Once you know what the temps and humidity are it lets you make any needed adjustments with a fair degree of accuracy.

The normal setup with tanks and lids like that is to cover the back and both sides with aquarium backing to increase the security from the animals point of view and use two nice, dark hides for the same reason. One on the warm end and one on the cool.

To increase humidity the screen can be covered on the outside with tinfoil or perspex with a gap for the light if you need that to maintain the temps in the right range. The lights are famous for sapping humidity.

How are you controling the Under tank heater (if you are using one ). They work well for ball pythons but do need to be controlled to make sure the snake doesn't get burnt.

Oh and welcome to the site.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

inside i have 1 humidity and 1 thermometer gauge
    would u recommend getting 1 extra of each for the other side? or just go head 'n get the weatherstation w/ probe? this is what im getting:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10326355

the back of the tank is just a big wall lol, so i guess i can just cover the left and ride side º_o. i have a second hide on the other side, i just havent gotten an updated picture =p.

i found some people using towels to put on top of the screen next to the heat lamp, which is what ive been doing, is that ok?

aaand i just have the undertank heater on 24/7. i turn off the heat lamp at night tho so it just has the heat pad during night. im sure the cool side drops below 80-85, but the vet suggested that i turn off the lamp nightly to regulate day/night cycle for the snake.

thanks for all suggestions, ive done quite a bit of research before i bought her =p. waited half a month before deciding i was ready.. still a couple things i missed tho >_>

thanks for teh welcoming ^-^ glad theres such a helpful site for ball python lovers =]

Thanks

She is really cute Wish she wasn't hiding her face though!

I was just going to add that I am new to owning a BP but I also use a towel to cover the mesh top and it has worked really well with the humidity and temps! I live in AZ where it is extra dry and 100 plus degrees now. I was struggling to keep temps down/humidity up until I soaked a dish towel, wrung it out, and placed it on top of the mesh. Now everything is perfect and my boy is much more comfortable.

Sounds like your girl is doing well in 40gal

Thanks

thankies ^-^ she wasnt too happy with the checkup lol. i have another picture of the otherside of the "ball' and theres no difference ><; no face lol

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I wouldn't buy that thermometer as it doesn't read humidity.

Irritatingly I can't find the one on the walmart site that we normally suggest.

There is this one but it is double the price.

This is what the one we like looks like;

I got the pic from Agentra's most excellent post here.

The normal light cycle of the room should be enough for the snake to get a night and day routine so I wouldn't bnother about that - plus turning the light on and off tends to mean a dip in temperatures which you do not need unless you are conditioning for breeding.

If you need the light to supply heat the best bet is to use either a red or moonglow bulb and leave it on 24/7.

I have never used the towel and can see the use of it as a cooling device but you need to be really obsessive to make sure it doesn't end up as a breeding ground for bactieria. You don't really need to worry about that when using something like foil or perspex. But obviously you wont get the cooling effect at that point.

It all depends what your humidity is actually like when measured in different spots around the tank with a good digital gague.

The reason we suggest the aquarium backing is it looks nice when viewing the inside of the tank which means you can put on insulation to the outside of the tank over it if you have trouble reaching the needed temps - it also makes the temps a little more stable.

Most of the problems people have with glass tanks are fluctuating/ too low temperatures and low humidity and all these little tips tend to make things a little easier.

Once you get the good thermometer though you need to measure the temps directly on top of the UTH as they can get warm enough to burn the snake if not controlled by a rheostat or thermostat.

There was information about those in Agentra's post too.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Argentra (05-17-2009),h00blah (07-17-2009)

Thanks

Ah, I've been beaten to the response...by my own posts! Thanks, Del.

But yes, the point of the cover on the back and sides isn't just looks, but also insulation. A background of some type not only looks nice, but prevents the snake from seeing the reflection of things moving by the back of the tank. It also, as was said, allows the insulation to be added and not affect the look of the tank.

My first BP was only 2 months old when I got her and I started her in a 20gal long tank that was 'cluttered' with greenery and hides. She loved it. Each snake has their own preferences, and if yours is doing fine in a larger tank and isn't always frantically trying to get out, then it's all good.

A note on feeding in another container - you said you did it because of the substrate, and you shouldn't worry about that. Snakes can digest fur and bones, so a little piece of shaved aspen isn't going to hurt them (unless they get it stuck somewhere). If you're really worried, put a piece of cardboard over the aspen before you offer the prey.

Anyway, good luck getting everything working to your liking! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

awesome guys, thanks! lotsa really good info ^-^ i dont mind going out of the way to get the thermometer as long as my BP is happy =p. and i read somewhere about the cardboard o_O i got plenty of it, so i think i'll do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast