Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,351

3 members and 3,348 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Incubator temp problem

Well I just got my first clitch ever last week and my eggs are currently residing in Westcoastjungle (Rauls) incubator because I did not have mine setup yet. Well I got it setup the other day and have been messing with it trying to get the temps right. Well here comes my problem. I am trying to get it set at about 88-89 but I have my helix set at 70 and it is still up into the 90's. My setup is a 60qt igloo cooler(ice chest) with room for 3 6qt tubs. I only have one in there right now and about 2 feet of 11inch flexwatt. I am going to try it with only a foot of flex watt but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas before I cut my flexwatt in half. Thanks.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Incubator temp problem

Hi,

Since someone smarter than me will ask - where is the probe for the thermostat and where is the probe for the thermometer and do you have any fans running inside it?

Does the thermostat click on and off at all (or can you make it do so by changing the temps ).

And have you checked that's not the type with cooling mode? (reaching here I know).

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

with the helix set to 70 and incubator temps so far beyond that, I have to ask...where is the probe ?

No way will the helix will send power to the cable or flexwatt unless it is faulty.

Or the probe is not inside the incubator with the heat source.

The room temp can get to high and heat things up beyond your thermostat setting.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Since someone smarter than me will ask - where is the probe for the thermostat and where is the probe for the thermometer and do you have any fans running inside it?

Does the thermostat click on and off at all (or can you make it do so by changing the temps ).

And have you checked that's not the type with cooling mode? (reaching here I know).

dr del

My digital therm is in the egg box and the helix probe is inside of the egg box also I have tried it with it inside and outside of the eggbox and it doesnt make a difference. Any thoughts are appreciated. thanks. And I do have a fan. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Is the thermostat kicking on and off at all?

Have you tried switching the fan off to see if it is generating too much heat?

I would be tempted to test the thermostat on a light bulb or something to make sure it is working ok.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Is the thermostat kicking on and off at all?

Have you tried switching the fan off to see if it is generating too much heat?

I would be tempted to test the thermostat on a light bulb or something to make sure it is working ok.

dr del
    Well the Helix doesnt turn on and off its a proportional t-stat or rheostat whatever its called and just varies the voltage to the heating element. I will try it with the fan off. As far as the temp probe working im pretty sure it is because this is one of the helix's off of one of my racks. Got a little zoomed one on my rack for now, didnt trust that one for my babies. Thanks for the help I am sure I just have something set up wrong or something. I will try to get pics up tomorrow need to find my camera cable.