Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,096

4 members and 3,092 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blood/Burm?

Thanks

Re: Blood/Burm?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster320 View Post

Also in the snake world people do complain about hidden hets.
    It is not the norm in the snake world, please, I beg, start a thread on every snake forum you know of. One exception does not prove your rule.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    It is not the norm in the snake world, please, I beg, start a thread on every snake forum you know of. One exception does not prove your rule.
    I'm a member on a corn snake forum also and there are people on there who complain about hidden hets. Sure sometimes people think its a bonus but also like I said earlier if your been working a long time on a project and a gene you didn't know was there messes up the percentages people get upset about it and its screws things up.

Thanks

Im not for or against hybrids as long as they label them hybrids then I see no problem with it. Most hybrids you can tell are hybrids. I dont like when people breed indians with burms and try to sell them as pure indians that kind of ticks me off a little

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Smile Re: Blood/Burm?

burm/balls are amazing snakes !! i have one and he is the best snake I've ever had !!

Thanks
    http://www.pireptiles.co.uk/theburmball.htm

from the info on the breeders page it appears to me that this hybrid was produced by mistake.
    Last edited by jason_ladouceur; 01-08-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks
    "There can be no such union and to speak of it is heresy!!" Lol
    0.1 werewolf killer retic
    1.0 dwarf doublehet snow retic
    0.1 tiger white phase retic
    1.0 purple phase retic
    0.1 platinum tiger retic
    1.0 platinum retic
    0.1 hypo pastel BCI
    0.1 guyana BCC

1.0 bull terrier

3 Sentec cages @ 96x30x22.5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster320 View Post
    Why would you mix morph A with morph B? Just to see what happens. To see what weird, beautiful, or unusal looking snake you get. Its basicly the same thing.
    You're comparing genetics of one species to crossing two entirely different species? I'm sorry, show me the "same thing" about that. Hybrids often cause detrimental effects on different species much worse than any genetic deformities associated with morphs.

You keep bringing up that hybrids are naturally occurring, and in some species they are, but we're talking about a very specific hybrid here. Naturally occurring ball python x Burmese python hybrid? Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_ladouceur View Post
    http://www.pireptiles.co.uk/theburmball.htm

from the info on the breeders page it appears to me that this hybrid was produced by mistake.
    How does something like that happen by mistake?
    "Oh hey guys! Let us put this ball python and Burmese python together and SEE WHAT HAPPENS!"
    I think they're lying out their arse.
    Last edited by blackcrystal22; 01-12-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks

I was looking at the heat pits on my Blood pythons, and the position and shape of the pits is similar to a burmese pythons, however their heads do not look anything alike to me. I would say the heat pits are about as similar as the two species get, other than that they look way different to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    I was looking at the heat pits on my Blood pythons, and the position and shape of the pits is similar to a burmese pythons, however their heads do not look anything alike to me. I would say the heat pits are about as similar as the two species get, other than that they look way different to me.
    Burms and bloods are absurdly different. not even gonna get into that topic. But on the idea of heat pits, How about the heat pits on GTP's and ETB's? They are pretty similar in placement and whatnot. Doesn't mean you should cross them. (Although, if you do, let me know how that goes )

I'm not boosting people creating hybrids, but has anyone seen the Amazon Tree Boa x Emerald Tree Boa hybrid??
    This one has and does occur naturally in the wild... Doesn't mean that I support the making of such in captivity.
    Pic from urbanjungles.

a NATURALLY occuring hybrid. Hell yea they look cool, do I want one in my collection, maybe? Would I ever breed it, never.

The problem isnt SO much with the idea of doing it(which isn't SO great to begin with), but the fact that too many people are TOO LAZY to pass on info to people who are getting the animals to correctly label them. Animals cross hands a bunch of times throughout their life(usually). What are the odds that EVERY person is going to remember "Hey, this snake is XX% this XX% this XX% this" etc, etc. With improperly labeled specimens and people only in it for the money, lies and "miscommunications" are bound. Then how are people who appreciate certain species for what they are supposed to find "pure" animals? What would you do if it came to a day where you couldn't find a regular blood python? Yes, there are people who wish to reserve their bloodlines and keep them pure, but who's to say they would want to put their animals out there for people to cross with "god knows what"?

I personally wouldn't sell an animal I produced to someone who I knew had intentions of hybridizing it. Just my personal opinion. They want to get it, there are PLENTY of other people who are out there to only make a buck.

Besides, Who wants a 12' snake with a "bloods attitude" anyway?

Thanks

I wasnt suggesting support for a hybrid between a blood and burm, just saying the similarities only went as far as the heat pits...

I can understand being upset about hybrids entering the market and polluting gene lines, but in my opinion we already manipulate these animals for our own amusement, as long as your responsible with your hybrids does it really matter?

We keep all these snakes in captivity, but legally they cannot be released into the wild again, so conservation in the classical repopulate the wild sense is not possible. So how is it that we can draw the line at hybrids but not draw the line at aggressive breeding programs and color morphs? Most albino organisms develop issues with eyesight later in life, is it right to breed an animal you know will have health issues? Is it right to purposefully inbreed animals knowing it could possibly have negative side effects? I dont have any hybrids and dont really plan on getting any, but I think we are already meddling with these animals so much does it give us the right to judge hybrids so harshly?
    Last edited by Ham; 01-18-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast