Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,170

2 members and 3,168 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Update... 3 weeks post blaze. (DUW-now with pics)

Hi all,

Just wanted to try and send a somewhat cogent post to update on our situation since the fire.

My brain is still a bit all over the place. Seems we are running all the time still and not really getting anywhere, or so it seems.

We have a sublet now, a TINY little space, 2.5 rooms. In that are two adult men, 3 snakes, and 2 rats. Almost ended up with a monitor as well, but we had to put a foot down in regards to doing any rescues till we are back home.

We get into our apartment on July 1st, a funny Quebec law, all new leases are signed for July 1st and EVERYONE moves on this one day. I know, it will NEVER make sense to me.

We have a nice 6.5 downtown. Nice quiet street, in a very vibrant neighbourhood. AKA full of addicts, and tourists. The one area we always said we would never live in but, for 450.00 less a month (and we only lose one room) it made sense, and the apartment has a really great layout. I think the snake room is a step down, but I am not going to complain.

I already explained that the haltchling rack would end up in the bedroom, so that will free up room for a second juvie rack. And I am going to rebuild... or rather build... (since we salvaged none of the racks) a few 11 tub tall adult racks to better utilize the space.

One sad part is that I will no longer raise rats.

I love my rats, but we are both SO allergic, and we have noticed a change almost immediately. So much so that I could not ask to take up the practice again. What we save in rent from not having that one extra room, plus the time and cost in raising them, and the cost of allergy meds (around 200.00 a month for the two of us) we can more than afford to find a supplier (fingers crossed) for those holdouts that will only take live.

We are tired and burnt out still. Not really mourning the loss of our stuff yet... or maybe we are. Not really sure where one thing starts the other stops. I think I get more frustrated with the cumulative loss for all 50 tenants that were left homeless than I do for us specifically.

It was arson.

Someone poured gas all over the neighbour`s balcony, then poured gas down the pillars that connects the balconies (ours included), left a gas can at the base, threw a match and ran.

Why?

I have no idea.

I can never wrap my brain around the way humans think and what motivates them. A snake bites me and I think... `you are just being a snake`... a human bites me and I think. `You know better!`

I would like to say that we are *celebrating* every day, but we aren`t. I am angry and confused as to what happened. But usually only in those quiet moments, or those moments where I am frustrated and on edge. Surprisingly enough I have not felt paralyzed at any point, but overall I am just keeping to myself.

Not phoning a lot of family and friends, as I tire of answering the same questions over and over... `yes, we lost everything`...

`so your couch?... and those paintings by maya? ...and your great grandmother`s china... and the this... and the that... and the whatever... and the watchamacallits?!`

It just gets really tiring, and those are the parts of what happened that I think we are not going to focus on as we are not seeing any point. We have to just go forward and not back. If I think of the fact that someone doused the back of my house in gasoline at 630 am on a Saturday while I was asleep then I would become paralyzed at the thought.

But as has been noted before, people have been amazing.

Our friends and families have been there and are a great support. I always joke that when I die no one will be at my funeral cause I am such a carmudgeon. But I may have to take that back.

We have become quite struck by the ways in which people have reached out to us, and not just individuals, but communities, and it has been striking for us to look up and see such amazing representations of said communities.

The herp community has been AMAZING! Fostering my critters, raising funds, sending supplies, you guys are the best. More than we can every repay.

The music community: Friends in Alberta are having a benefit concert for us in July.

The First Nations community: are holding a drumming circle to raise some funds and to raise healing energy in Red Deer later this month.

The Arts community: threw a vernissage for us the Friday after the fire. We were tricked into showing up for a belated birthday party to find out that artists we knew, had supported, and had represented had organized a silent auction in a loft for us. It was amazing.

The communities we have proud membership in have all been there for us.

When we get settled and we look around we know who we can thank for making this a smooth(er) transition, and we need you to all know how much this has meant to us.

I am still keeping it low, we are limited access to resources, the one in the most scarcity is time.

It is going to take a while till I am back online fully and capable of participating, but I hope to be more active in the next few weeks. I have missed on SO much since this happened. And this IS the most important time of the year for us...

HATCHLING SEASON!!!

So if I am around and not active, it just means I am checking out pics and breeding posts to see who did what and what the odds were.

I will post pics soon enough (on a mac and I do not know how to work ANYTHING on it).

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Whitehead For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

771subliminal (05-20-2009),Buttons (05-14-2009),Creeptastic (05-21-2009),frankykeno (05-20-2009),Ginevive (05-20-2009),JLC (05-14-2009),JohnMcD (05-19-2009),Jyson (05-21-2009),Mettle (05-19-2009),Muze (05-14-2009),nwheat (05-20-2009),rabernet (05-14-2009),Spaniard (05-14-2009),stratus_020202 (05-14-2009),waltah! (05-14-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Update... 3 weeks post blaze.

/

Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bruce Whitehead (05-21-2009)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just a cyber hug for the rest you already know
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 05-14-2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: typo
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

I will not be able to thank everyone individually, but a few specifics I missed in the previous post...

Deb for the heat mats... if not for those I would have had to foster my last 3 snakes, and having those girls with me right now is a GOD SEND. I would expect no less from Deb, but she had those in the mail I think before the fire was even out... seriously, I think she did.

And Raul (West Coast Jungle) sent merch! I got to work and was all cranky and nasty after wearing 9 days worth of donated ill-fitting clothes and opened a package to find 4 fresh clean WCJ shirts. New shirts, clean shirts, shirts that fit and shirts with SNAKES on them!

And of course Judy and her MANY elves for all the time and organization. If I ever make it out that way I will see none of the south as all my time will be spent on my knees scrubbing JLC`s floors!

I know most of the rest of you and am still learning what people have done. Again, thanks to everyone.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Whitehead; 05-14-2009 at 07:06 PM.
    Praying for Stinger Bees

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Whitehead For This Useful Post:

JLC (05-14-2009),Mettle (05-19-2009),Muze (05-14-2009),rabernet (05-14-2009),Stewart_Reptiles (05-14-2009),stratus_020202 (05-14-2009),West Coast Jungle (05-14-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Glad to hear it hasnt gotten the best of you.

I praise you for focusing on the kindnest of others instead of the cruelty of one ignoranus.

After 9/11 I realized there are alot more people who would run into a burning unstable buliding to save the lives of strangers then there are lost souls who would commit such an act. The only problem with our society is the latter gets all the headlines and attention when it should be the other way around.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, yours and the critters

10. The Following User Says Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You have got to stop making me cry. I hope things start to settle down once you get settled into your new place. Can't wait to see you bouncing around here again! Good luck with that mac!
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to stratus_020202 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Scrub my floors?!? Perish the thought! Dude, you make it down here and we'll ALL be at the beach! I haven't done anything except funnel donations. (Well, I sent a box, too...but you don't know that yet. )

Keep hanging in there, hon. It's a long road, but you'll make it. You've got so much love and many, many prayers holding you both up!
    -- Judy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Bruce,

Its great to hear from you, I'm glad you're pushing foward and rolling with the punches like a champ. You will be all the stronger at the end of this journey despite any bumps in the road you may encounter.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Spaniard For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you for the update, Bruce. I'd been thinking about you and wondering how things were moving along. Hopefully all will work out for the best. -hugs-

Sending you and your family Reiki for health and well being.
    `*`

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadera For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bruce - THIS is what this community is all about - and it really focuses on the positive side that I am so proud of. The way that this community came together for you makes me so proud to be a part of it. I remember when you posted on FB about your West Coast Jungle shirt, and it was no surprise at all that Raul would do that. Deb - doesn't surprise me in the bit - she may be a mean frenchie, but she is a fierce and loyal friend.

And BP.net - wow - the outpouring of love was humbling to me, and makes me so proud to serve here!

I am so happy that things are progressing positively for you and Jerome, or as positively as can be expected, given the circumstances.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

Bruce Whitehead (05-21-2009),Stewart_Reptiles (05-14-2009)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast