Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,368

3 members and 3,365 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Nc-307

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Nc-307

Got this email from USARK

S307 Regulate Ownershio & Use of Certain Reptiles, written by Herpers for Herpers, has just passed the North Carolina Senate and is headed for the House of Representatives. The USARK sponsored legislation was authored in partnership with NC PARC (Partners in Amphibian & Reptile Conservation) and had input from the NC Zoo, NC Museum of Natural Sciences, NC Veterinary Medical Association, NC Wildlife Resources Commission, NC Dept. of Agriculture and private citizens. It was supported by the NC Animal Agriculture Community. It maintains the right of responsible reptile keepers to work with certain reptiles, while setting practical standards for secure caging, safety protocols, transport, anti-release provisions and escape recovery plans. It also sets penalties for negligence and other violations of protocol. Simple, straight forward and pragmatic; it is a model for state legislation around the country. Only Big 5 constrictors, venomous and crocodilians are affected by this bill.

This is just another example of how USARK continues to reverse trends and do the necessary hard work of the Herp Community. After years of losing ground to the Animal Rights Movement the Reptile Nation has finally come together. We now have our voice, and the voice of the Reptile Nation is USARK!

CLICK HERE TO READ S307 & SEE CURRENT STATUS!

Thanks

Re: Nc-307

I haven't read my email yet, does this keep people from owning one of the Big 5?

They said this is a "model" for state legislation, which could mean trouble.

Thanks

I believe usark made this to actually help keepers. I think it resembles the florida regulation. Which isnt that bad if your serious about keeping them. Id rather have mine microchipped and have to get a permit then not be able to own them at all. In my email it said if it passed nc would be like the most herp friendly state or something like that Ill have to find the email

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    I believe usark made this to actually help keepers. I think it resembles the florida regulation. Which isnt that bad if your serious about keeping them. Id rather have mine microchipped and have to get a permit then not be able to own them at all. In my email it said if it passed nc would be like the most herp friendly state or something like that Ill have to find the email
    I agree if it means me getting my animals microchipped or needed permits for ownership then I am all for it. It may be a pain in the butt at the time but you wont have as many neglegent people whom just buy a baby burm on an impulse. You know the people who make all of us responsible keepers look bad. I will have to read through that when I get outta work but from how Raul put it in his post it really sounds reasonable. I may be singing a different song after I read it though.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

It's mainly a "Anyone keeping one of the big 5 or a crocadillian has to keep it responsibly, and have a secure cage that locks." Oh.. and similar for venomous.

It's remarkably similar to the NRIP(PIJAC's voluntary proposed program) wording about responsible keeping, that people were screaming that PIJAC was trying to force onto people. Now suddenly it turns out that USARK has pushed THIS through as a law, and it's' basically the same thing. It's a law that says you have to be a responsible keeper, and have secure enclosures. If your snake gets loose or harms someone, or you act like a moron with the snake, they can arrest/charge you for being a idiot.

That's the short short editted by me version anyway. It sounds like a good law, that might head off a restrictive law, by being in place first. As in.. now someone wanting to push a restrictive law is going to get pointed at this law and told "We have legislation in place already".

I hope it works, and makes more responsible keepers, and less impulse buyers.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, here is where you can find a copy of the bill.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascript...09&BillID=s307

It sounds like something that would be a pain in the butt, but I could live with it if I had to. However I don't see any note in there at all of how to determine ownership of a found animal. I didn't see anything about photos or PIT tags (microchips) at all and was wondering how this part would be handled. Personally I'm not a huge fan of micro chipping.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I just got home and read this law and as stated earlier this is far better and much more thought out than HR669 or other restrictions/regulations posed recently.

It basically makes you resposible for owning potentially dangerous reptiles such as hots, crocs and the big constrictors, identifying them by species and not lumping them all toghether. Its seems to be based on knowledge gained from herpetologists and not fear driven paranoia like many of the others laws proposed.

It even isnt as strict as the laws currently in Florida(and it shouldnt be, N.C. is not FL). It dosent mention anything about permits or microchiping and doesnt say you cant own any of these animals but only states makes clear laws that anyone owning these particular dangerous or life threatening reptiles is liable for not transporting or housing it in a safe manner as well or releasing it into the state of N.C. Also makes you liable if you go out in public and threaten or make someone handle or be in a dangerous situation against their will or without proper safety measures.

This all seems like logical and resposible pet ownership common sense but not everyone is responsible so laws must be put on the books to tell people of there resposiblity when owning a potentially dangerous animal.

I dont see restrictions in this, just laws stating liability. Boas and balls(and other smaller harmless species) do not fall under this law.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

I think the only restriction I saw in it was the requirement for locks on the cages of some.. but anyone should have that on venomous.

It's about the most "non-law" law I think I've ever seen.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "