Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,317

1 members and 3,316 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks

Husbandry, Care, etc.

Now that I've had the opportunity to own one snake and am still gaining experience from taking care of it, I'm already doing my research for the next snake I want to acquire in the future.

Despite their size, the reading I have done has indicated that Red Tail Boas are ideal follow-up snakes for Ball Python owners (i.e.: beginner snake owners like me).

I wanted to take this opportunity to find out from you guys what measures you take to building and managing a proper cage for a baby Red Tail. I did read that a 10-gallon tank is sufficient for up to a year, but that I'd have to purchase a tank as big as 75-100 gallons eventually, is this right?

Are the living conditions that a Ball must have comparable to what a Red Tail needs?

Thanks

Re: Husbandry, Care, etc.

I followed the same path as you did, and found this site very helpful: http://www.redtailboas.com/general_c...eral_care.html

If you need anything just PM me.

--Meady
    1.0.0 Columbian Red Tail Boa - Rocky

Thanks

When I talked to the breeder, she suggested getting a 20-gallon tank to start with. Seeing as how I probably cannot afford one of the custom made enclosures that the care sheet you provided a link for recommended, I'm going to simply pursue a glass aquarium or terrarium specific tank.

Would this be good to start with?

Thanks

If its just a hatchling then yes, a 20 gallon should be sufficient for a while. However you must keep in mind that a red tail grows to be a very large animal, and you will eventually need a large enclosure. Another noteworthy point about boas is then tend to grow rather quickly from my experience if you feed them the correct size prey once a week. So a 20 gallon is sufficient for now, however be prepared to upsize that before the year is gone.

--Colin

Thanks

20's are a good size for baby boas, but keep in mind, it is much tougher to keep the humidity at the necessary levels

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rynpckrd View Post
    When I talked to the breeder, she suggested getting a 20-gallon tank to start with. Seeing as how I probably cannot afford one of the custom made enclosures that the care sheet you provided a link for recommended, I'm going to simply pursue a glass aquarium or terrarium specific tank.

Would this be good to start with?
    Then you should not be getting a boa until you can afford to properly take care of it. The snake could outgrow the 20L in less than a year and then you'll be back to square one, only with a 3ft+ rapidly growing boa. And its not like a properly set up 20L will be cheap either...

For multiple animals a rack setup is the way to go anyways. Tanks are probably the worst. I have 1 tank and I will never house a snake in one again after I move her out into the new rack I just built.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBoa View Post
    Then you should not be getting a boa until you can afford to properly take care of it. The snake could outgrow the 20L in less than a year and then you'll be back to square one, only with a 3ft+ rapidly growing boa. And its not like a properly set up 20L will be cheap either...

For multiple animals a rack setup is the way to go anyways. Tanks are probably the worst. I have 1 tank and I will never house a snake in one again after I move her out into the new rack I just built.
    My intent would not be to settle for a 20-gallon tank throughout its entire lifespan. Simply, I was told by the breeder that this size would suffice for up to a year and then afterwards, I would need to obviously pursue something larger.

However, if there is something better than what I have in mind, then I would rather pursue that, especially since I'd have multiple snakes. Could you refer me to a link that explains a rack setup?

Thanks

There are a bunch of things you can base off in the DIY and Caging forums. However here is an article which has a sort of walk through included.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=50959

Cheers,
    Colin

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i would feed every 2 weeks your boas will grow healthier and live longer and they wont get as big as fast
    Reptiles make life tolerable.
    Jeremiah Elleman[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FO

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jere000 For This Useful Post:

JimiSnakes (05-09-2009)

Thanks

A 20 long glass tank will work just fine for the first year of a boa's life or even an appropriatly sized plastic tub. But be prepared to invest in a larger enclosure after your boa out grows this. My boa is at this stage and I am ordering him a 4'LX2'W15''T Animal Plastic terrarium. Here's a link to their website.
    http://animalplastics.com/
    Those cages I think are worth investing in. They'll cost you a bit more than a glass tank, but are much better for housing snakes. Here's another helpful link on BCI care.
    http://www.vpi.com/publications/boa_constrictor
    I love my boa and I think they make excellent pets. If you decide to invest in one i suggest you do all the research you can first and then look for a reputable breeder.
    1.1ballpythons(normal)-Arwen, Montague
    1.0ballpython(pastel)-Shan Longshanks
    0.1ballpython(spider)-Pippa Willow
    1.0redtailboa-Inigo
    0.1redtailboa(salmon)-Imogen
    1.0redbloodpython-Fergis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast