Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,195

1 members and 3,194 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

I just got back into herps, say hello to my Chinese Water Dragon!

This is just a temporary set up for him while I save to build him a nice 6'x4'x2.5' enclosure. But it's enough for a few months anyway. The custom cage Im building will have about a foot of water on the bottom and take up about 3/4 the ground space. The rest of the height he will have vines and branches and little ledges to climb on. I can't wait to get building it! He's only ate about 4 times in the 10 or so days Ive had him, but I've been messing with his cage a bit too much as well. Anyhow, now his cage is set up just the way I want it until I can get his new one built, so hopefully he'll settle in and start eating normally.

How's it look?

Thanks

Re: I just got back into herps, say hello to my Chinese Water Dragon!

Looks like he has a lot to keep him busy!

That custom enclosure you're talking about sounds phenomenal. What are you using for the bottom to ensure that it properly holds that much water?
    --Stephan.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a
    koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate,
    I will save it." --Steve Irwin (1962-2006, RIP).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mettle View Post
    Looks like he has a lot to keep him busy!

That custom enclosure you're talking about sounds phenomenal. What are you using for the bottom to ensure that it properly holds that much water?
    Yea he hardly ever sits still in there, lol. Always jumping from the highest branch into the water.

I'm not positive how I'm going to make it yet, but I'm envisioning a glass bottom sealed with aquarium silicone sealant and a wood frame around that to tie it into the rest of the cage. Basically an aquarium custom made for the enclosure. I'll build the rest of the 1/4th floor I have left to just above the water level. Probably 14 or so inches off the bottom of the cage I'll have two cabinet type doors that will open the height of the cage for easy access. I was planning on a mesh siding on all 4 sides above the water line, but I'm not positive how well that will hold humidity. The sides may end up being water proofed wood and just the doors will be screened. Lighting, heating, misting, etc will all be built into the top of the cage with safety guards around the heating elements. I think I may set up an automatic misting system while I'm at it, to stream line things. Overall I plan on spending a pretty penny and making this thing like a piece of furniture. I just hope it doesn't end up weighing a ton!
    Old time herper, first time snake owner

Thanks

Here is the custom enclosure I built for my 2 water dragons. They are doing really well.

It is just a closet under the stairs that I converted into my mini-reptile room. In this room I have 3 snakes, a beardie, and the 2 WDs. Oh, and a dubia colony...

It isn't finished yet, but functionally, it works fine.

I have a MVB (Mega-ray 100SB) that keeps the UVB and temps just right for them.
    For humidity, I have a few potted plants and keep the subrate in them very moist. The rest of the enclosure is just plywood lined with stick on tiles. It is very easy to clean and disinfect when needed.

They love to climb. Tall and lots of vines and basking spots are great. A nice quiet hide covered with leaves (fake or real) for hiding is good.

For the little one, Pheonix Worms are a great idea. They pack a punch from a nutrition perspective. I start them on that, then move to supers and dubias.

They mess up their water pretty fast. They do all their poo'ing and shedding and stuff in there. So I went with a large cat litter pan that offer plenty of room for swimming and soaking plus I can easily remove it 2 times a week (it gets nasty fast) and clean and refill it. I also have a cheap filter in it, but it just helps keep the water looking clear, but there is always big chunks of skin, poo, etc floating around...

Chad
    www.iherp.com/wafisherman

Ball Python, 2 Dumiril's Boas, Mexican Boa
    Russian Tortoise, 3 Sulcata Tortoises,
    3 E. Box Turtles and one 3-Toed Box Turtle
    Dog, Cat, Bearded Dragon
    2 Leo Geckos, Tiger Salamander, 2 Water Dragons
    Chickens, Rabbits, Ducks, Pilgram Geese
    2 Olberhasli milking goats
    7 kids and one amazing wife!

Thanks

Hello Mr. Chinese Water Dragon (What no name??)!! His temp enclosure looks really nice. Can't wait to see pics of the custom enclosure. Those from Chad look phenomenal!
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

I just designed out how I'm going to build the cage. I decided Im just going to use my 20g H for his water tank since it's already built and it'd make constructing this thing super fast and easy. So that's what the container is in the bottom. I'll have potting soil in the bottom of the cage as well with live plants growing and a way up into the water tank (and out of it). The shelf will hold soil and be used as a place to put branches that'll reach the top of the cage. The top is going to be open and about 6 inches lower so I have a place to put all the lighting and such. All the open sides will most likely end up being a fine mesh that wont tear from his claws. Then obviously the front is how I'm going to make the doors. I can't wait to get started!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Wow,

Definately keep us posted on that one - it sounds as though it will be stunning.

Are you going to build in a draining system for the tank at the bottom to make cleaning it easier?

I always wondered how the food items worked out in those types of full display tanks - do you use feeding bowls or do they just get placed in the tank as normal?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Wow,

Definately keep us posted on that one - it sounds as though it will be stunning.

Are you going to build in a draining system for the tank at the bottom to make cleaning it easier?

I always wondered how the food items worked out in those types of full display tanks - do you use feeding bowls or do they just get placed in the tank as normal?

dr del
    I think I'll just siphon all the water out for cleaning. I do that now and it's easy enough. The branches and soil I will just spot clean. As for feeding, he's already eating right out of my fingers, so I'll probably just continue doing that.

I'm going to price out Mahogany tomorrow as that is probably going to be the most water and rot resistant wood I can get. Plus it'll look really nice.

Thanks

Here's how it looks thus far

He's going to be nearly impossible to find in that place when this gets done! I'm gonna steal the above idea and hang ropes all over that place to act as vines. Also I've found a nice list of safe plants I can put in there. I'm going to fill that place with living plants to help keep the humidity up and make him feel more at home. How's it looking?

Thanks

That is going to be killer. Keep pics coming!

Keep in mind the water needs to be changed a few times per week minimum. I have a filter on mine and still need to change 2 to 4 times a week. But I do have 2 WDs in there. With the large cat litter pan I have my water it, it is just big enough that I can get it in and out full of water. Any bigger and I'd need a new plan - like the drain plug idea. But drained to where?? Right now I just take the pan to the next door bathroom and flush it. Then clean it and fill it up and put it back.

I feed mine out of a large alum pan (cheap dog bowl from Walmart). It is at least 12 inches across with 2 inch sides. Holds in the dubias and supers just fine.

Chad
    www.iherp.com/wafisherman

Ball Python, 2 Dumiril's Boas, Mexican Boa
    Russian Tortoise, 3 Sulcata Tortoises,
    3 E. Box Turtles and one 3-Toed Box Turtle
    Dog, Cat, Bearded Dragon
    2 Leo Geckos, Tiger Salamander, 2 Water Dragons
    Chickens, Rabbits, Ducks, Pilgram Geese
    2 Olberhasli milking goats
    7 kids and one amazing wife!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast