Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,431

2 members and 3,429 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Caught 13 fish today, but need advice.

I caught a baby largemouth, tons of sunnies, and a HUGE crappie!! Whoo hoo! The lake by my house is awesome for fishing, and a friend of mine showed me (pictorally) how to fillet these types of fish. I've never kept anything I caught,but I would like to try for once, so I went to my local Wal MArt and picked up the free NJ freshwater fishing giude, with all the size limits, regulations, identifications, etc,. Most of the fish I've been catching are pretty good size, and the sunnies have been FAT! When I was a kid, my best friend's dad would make little breaded sunny fillets, that would melt in your mouth! So, I have a couple questions: first, what do I do with the fish from the time I catch him until I get him home to "cut and gut"? I was thinking about a bucket, but I got these "stringers" for .25 from Walmart for stringing fish.(how do they work?) Also, do I fillet him alive? ...I don't know if I can handle that. Also, what do I bread or batter them with? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Re: Caught 13 fish today, but need advice.

stringers are for hooking the fish through the gills and mouth to keep them hanging off your boat and they stay alive till your ready to leave the water.

And as for filleting them, what i do is take the fish and then smack them in the head with the fillet knife which stuns them long enough to fillet them. Dont be alarmed when after you done filleting them that their still flopping as fish feel no pain.

Start the fillet under the gill then work your way back to the tail. If good enough even on bass you can get boneless.

Begins getting trickier when you get to walley and musky as their harder to knock out.

IF not comfortable hitting them put them in a cooler and leave them along with no water for 30-60 mins then fillet them asap and cook or freeze the meat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4theSNAKElady View Post
    I caught a baby largemouth, tons of sunnies, and a HUGE crappie!! Whoo hoo! The lake by my house is awesome for fishing, and a friend of mine showed me (pictorally) how to fillet these types of fish. I've never kept anything I caught,but I would like to try for once, so I went to my local Wal MArt and picked up the free NJ freshwater fishing giude, with all the size limits, regulations, identifications, etc,. Most of the fish I've been catching are pretty good size, and the sunnies have been FAT! When I was a kid, my best friend's dad would make little breaded sunny fillets, that would melt in your mouth! So, I have a couple questions: first, what do I do with the fish from the time I catch him until I get him home to "cut and gut"? I was thinking about a bucket, but I got these "stringers" for .25 from Walmart for stringing fish.(how do they work?) Also, do I fillet him alive? ...I don't know if I can handle that. Also, what do I bread or batter them with? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
    Well a bucket should do fine...you dont have to fillet him alive just slice its head off and that should do...LOL!!!...also i only fry my fish...

Banned
    Thanks

If your in nj I'd worry more about the waters your fishing in first. Before asking how to prepare the fish. Ask around and do some research before taking that first bite!

Thanks

I usually just pop them in a cooler while I'm fishing and then filet when I get back. Don't skimp on a knife ... a good filet knife can make a huge difference. It took some practice but I get it boneless just about every time. Also make sure that you know the water the fish came from is clean.
    0.1.0 RTB (Kona)
    0.1.0 RTB Anery 66% PH Albino
    1.0.0 RTB Hypo Het Anery 50% PH Albino
    1.0.0 BP (King Julian)
    0.1.0 BRB (Tiki)

Andrew Geibel

Thanks

As stated above make sure to get a good sharp fillet knife, if its too short or dull then the fillets will be harder to cut and mess up. Also with the stringer there should be a metal end and a hoop on the other take the first fish put it through the gills and out the mouth then put the metal piece through the hoop. i personally just stun the fish and throw them in a cooler as i finish fishing. for filleting also liek said above just stun them and fillet them, at most you will see a little nerve twitch while you fillet, but its not bad. and yeah if your not too keen on filleting fish stunned or alive, just let them sit out of the water for abt 30 minutes. As far as cooking, my friend cooks fish good , i never cook it lol. he uses the microwave!! puts the clean fillets on a plate with lemon pepper , pepper and butter and cooks it in the micro! i had it on the grill for the first time the same way 2 weeks ago and it was great, its always fun to catch a fish and have it on the grill within 5 minutes gotta live striper fishing! If you would like tips on filleting and stuff, check out youtube!! youtube teaches many good things good luck and have fun!

1.0 BCI <Emery>
    0.1 Hypo Het Moonglow BCI <Willow>
    0.1 Ball Python <Shroomy>

Thanks

I forgot to mention cooking. I always grill under relatively low heat and make a sort of tray for it out of aluminum foil. Also if you own or have access to one, a smoker can be absolutely great on fish like salmon.
    0.1.0 RTB (Kona)
    0.1.0 RTB Anery 66% PH Albino
    1.0.0 RTB Hypo Het Anery 50% PH Albino
    1.0.0 BP (King Julian)
    0.1.0 BRB (Tiki)

Andrew Geibel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGeibel View Post
    I forgot to mention cooking. I always grill under relatively low heat and make a sort of tray for it out of aluminum foil. Also if you own or have access to one, a smoker can be absolutely great on fish like salmon.
    x2 on the smoker my gpa uses my smoker for fish allll the time

1.0 BCI <Emery>
    0.1 Hypo Het Moonglow BCI <Willow>
    0.1 Ball Python <Shroomy>

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

you dont even have to filet them if you don't want to. de-scale it, cut off the head, pull out the guts, then batter and fry the whole fish. the meat pulls off the bone really easy and you get more meat than if you filet them.

Thanks

i wouldnt eat fish from jersey unless you are like in the mountains or something. everyone knows new jersey has crazy polluted water and to catch and release well thats if your near where i am. but descale gut cut off head soak in lemon juice and pepper corn wrap in tinfoil and bbq and enjoy
    1.1 Normal Ball, 1.0 Db Het Pied Hypo,
    1.1 100% Het Pied, 0.1 Super Pastel, 1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel Yellow Belly, 0.2 Yellow Belly, 0.1 Red tail boa
    0.0.1 Grey band king snake, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
    Miss my Ferret alot wish i didn't have to give her up
    1.1 het red axanthic, 1.0 albino, 1.0 black pastel
    1.0 woma, 1.0 pinstripe, 0.1 pastel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast