Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,191

1 members and 3,190 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Is this a good trade

Honestly not sure what the going rate would be for an adult/year old. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I've only ever bought babies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

If it's just a plain patternless, I'd definately say NO. I've seen them go for $30. Now ball pythons on the otherhand, PETCO sells normal babies for $79.I'd say they should kick some money and the gecko....then it's a deal.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Nope its a 10 gallon tank and a heatwave UTH. Im sure if price is added up itll be close to even trade.

IF i go with the gecko ill be sure to post Better pictures.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

If it's just a plain patternless, I'd definately say NO. I've seen them go for $30. Now ball pythons on the otherhand, PETCO sells normal babies for $79.I'd say they should kick some money and the gecko....then it's a deal.
    thats retail as they need to cover overhead.

My guy is a normal 100% Het albino by BHB and hes got them on his site as 08s for $100

Thanks

If all they're feeding is canned mealworms that gecko is not getting a complete diet at all. Live are far more nutritious for sure and if it will eat gutloaded crickets and/or silkworms all the better.

I don't know what a male het albino goes for where you are, but if it's really only about $100 then it seems like a fair trade to me. And if you got the snake for free you're not really losing out on anything, right? The gecko comes with a set-up, which is nice. But be aware that the 10 gallon will not be a suitable tank to house the gecko for life. It definitely should be in something bigger.

How much do you know about leopard geckos and their care? It's a good idea to be up on that before taking on a new animal.
    --Stephan.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a
    koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate,
    I will save it." --Steve Irwin (1962-2006, RIP).

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

from reading im pretty sure on how to care for them.

I know to give them a moist box for shedding. and keep them 90 on hot side and upper 70s for cool side.

feed babies everyday and adults every other day crickets that were fed 24 hours before feeding and or meal worms. Can feed wax and super worms as treats as their not healthy all the time and addicting.

i was gonna consider moving the gecko out of the 10 gallon and into a 28qt tub which is plenty room for an adult.

also give hides all over the enclosure with small water dishes as they like it dry when not shedding.

hows that sound

Thanks

Sounds better than the 10 gallon tank its currently in.

One thing as an aside. I always question selling/trading an animal to someone if I know their current animals aren't in the best of set-ups. Like this leo should probably be in a larger enclosure. How good of care are they going to be taking of the ball python you're trading them? Food for thought...
    --Stephan.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a
    koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate,
    I will save it." --Steve Irwin (1962-2006, RIP).

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I hear ya but i still have to see the gecko and see how big she is. but from the pictures she dont look anything over 6-8 inches but yea ill will be moving her out of the ten gallon to a tub for sure. i always believe lizards seem to like the extra space more.

They did show me basic care for ball pythons as they care for a BP already. i was sorta testing them here and there with out them knowing it and so far so good on the answers.

Thanks

Hey. I'm actually the person with the patternless leopard gecko.

First off I feed my Akuha live meal worms. NOT CANNED! They are gut-loaded and gets crickets twice a week. It was actually a very experienced leopard gecko owner who I talked to on here who gave me the ok on only feeding her meal worms. He said it would be perfectly fine. Besides she's not a good hunter when I do give her the crickets.

Second about the whole 10 gallon tank, I told the guy in the email that I went to get her a 28 quart tub today from Walmart. It was a couple of pet stores who told me a 10 gallon was suitable for her. Until I came on here and learned otherwise. That's why I love this site.

Third. I obviously know you got your snake for free. I didn't get Akuha for free. I paid $65 for her. Not including the tank, basically brand new UTH, brand new calcium powder, 500 LIVE mealworms, hides, crickets and 28 quart container. The trade was going to include all of this! It wasn't about the money I just thought I would offer my leo for a new ball python because we wanted what each other had.

I'm not trying to sound like a jack ass, I just felt like I was kind of being attacked a little. I'm a very good pet owner. I LOVE all my animals to death and would do anything for them

Thanks

IMO the gecko in the picture does not look full grown yet.
    A 10 gallon is fine for one gecko, but if you want to set it up in a bigger enclosure (not huge) they do enjoy space to roam. But they do need at least 2 hides on each end ( of course).

As far as how fair the trade is, I think the bp is worth more, but if you do not have any plans to breed, then it is completely up to you. Leos are a pleasure to care for, and are very low maintenance.

If you DO end up taking the leo, try feeding it live worms and crickets etc. (saw that u mentioned a CAN of worms) and also, I am not sure how recent that picture is, but the white tips on its toes looks like left over shed that got stuck on its toes, if left on too long, the skin will tighten on the tips and eventually cut off the circulation to its toes. Just something to look out for.

PS. Sorry for getting WAY ahead of myself with the tips on leos before you even decided to get it

Jamie
    Jamie (jrosen123)

" It's a herp thing... You wouldn't understand"

0.1.7 Leopard Geckos (Jerry, Jagger, Joey, Little, Tiny, Bert, Ernie, Pepay (male))
    0.0.1 Albino Leopard Gecko (Blind) (Ray (Charles))
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python (Kaluah Pantalones (Pants))
    0.3.0 Cats (Spike, Gracie, Tasha)
    0.1.0 Dog (Miah)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast