Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,420

2 members and 3,418 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Diabetic Cats

Thanks

Diabetic Cats

Last night I came home from work to find my 13 y/o cat (Hercules) pretty much blind and delirious roaming the house constantly sniffing anything he could find. He was completely unresponsive to anything going on around him so we rushed him to the ER. Turns out his blood sugar was very low. Good thing is they have him stabilized and as of this morning he regained all of his eyesight and blood sugar returned to normal levels. They're now weaning him off of the dextrose drip while monitoring his levels.

We'd been giving him a pill (glipizide) for about 2 years now which helped to regulate his diabetes quite well. We decided not to give him insulin because my g/f and I were both in college and rarely home at the time to be able to administer the shots.

The situation is a little different now so I was looking for some feedback from anyone with a diabetic cat on administering insulin. I have a follow up appointment with my vet on Tues but I was just wondering what your experiences have been. Are there any concerns or issues I should be aware of or ask my vet about?

What kind of diet do you have your diabetic cat on?

Any feedback is welcome!

Thanks,
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Diabetic Cats

I had a diabetic cat and gave her insulin shots 2 x a day. It was uneventful for the cat and for me. She got lots of loving after each shot and never was concerned about them.

I had her on a diet the vet recommended (the Science Diet) but today I'd follow this site if I still had her:

http://www.catinfo.org/felinediabetes.htm

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

Spaniard (04-29-2009)

Thanks

Thanks Robin, I just picked him up 20 minutes ago and he's doing much better. He ran to his litter box first thing he got in the door hehe

I'm definitely going to read the link you provided. Have the follow up appointment on Tuesday and will be discussing the best option for kitty with the vet then.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Not that it has to do with diabetic cats, but it does have to do with diet.

I just saw my vet today for my cats rabies shot. He got a fecal done and yes, his poop is still extremely stinky. She had mentioned that his fur was incredibly soft and plush. We told her that we switched his diet a few weeks ago and we saw an immediate change in energy, he was already a psycho, but he is even more energetic now, and his fur is very soft too.

She said she has a lot of patients that are in love with the Wellness brand and Innova for their cats, and she told us to keep him on the diet for 4 more months, if his poo doesn't stink less by then, then perhaps we should review different diets for him.

The point I'm making is I am very happy with the Evo we are feeding him, however it IS super low in carbs and very high in protein, so feed cautiously to an older kitty if you were to. See what your vet says, I'm sure they have many patients who made the switch.

Good luck with the kitteh.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to littleindiangirl For This Useful Post:

Spaniard (04-29-2009)

Thanks

Thank Connie,

He's on prescription dry and wet food now. If you think your cat is stinky you should see or rather smell my guy sometimes.

I'm going to the store tomorrow to do some serious browsing. I'll make sure to check out the Evo.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Thank Connie,

He's on prescription dry and wet food now. If you think your cat is stinky you should see or rather smell my guy sometimes.

I'm going to the store tomorrow to do some serious browsing. I'll make sure to check out the Evo.
    Well the stink is certainly new for us! Our vet said it's normal and that his body is adjusting, so I'm REALLY hoping he transitions.

Thanks

Nature's Variety and a ground raw/supplemented diet would likely snap him out of the diabetic condition

Get him off of the prescription crap. It's just full of fillers and carbs(sugars).
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SatanicIntention For This Useful Post:

Spaniard (04-30-2009)

Thanks

Hey Becky,

I was just checking out the Nature's Variety, there's a few places in my area that carry it. What nature's variety were you recommending, the raw frozen, or the canned/dry (Instinct / Prairie).

I don't mind preparing a mix myself but was hesitant going to raw because his entire life he's never eaten raw food and I didn't know if he would get sick. What would you recommend as a ground raw/supplemented diet?

I want to bombard my vet with questions when I see him so I appreciate all the help.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

I have had quite a few customers (i work in a nataural pet feed store) come in who had diabetic cats, and did research on the best diet. I never thought to ask why, but many had dicovered that the HALO brand Wholesome turkey formula was at the top of the list.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 4theSNAKElady For This Useful Post:

Spaniard (05-01-2009)