Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,344

3 members and 2,341 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Why Are Ball Pythons Beginner Species?

Hi,

I never really got by these snakes are classified as beginner species. My sister got her first snake nearly two years ago. It was a corn snake and she didn't really know how to take care of it -- still giving her crap for that.

The baby was set up in a 40 gallon terrarium, a small heat pad, and nice furnishings. I think the only reason that snake was healthy is that it was always burrowing in the substrate we gave it, and there was plenty of it.

Nothing was measuring temperatures in that cage... thank God corn snakes are low maintenance snakes that are extremely forgiving.

Why do we recommend snakes that need a cool spot no lower than 75*? Honestly, how many households in the United States have temperatures like that? Most newbies don't know anything about thermostats, proper cage furnishings, etc. I've heard of so many "My Ball Python won't eat" threads it's not even funny.

Anyone care to explain?

Thanks,
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DutchHerp For This Useful Post:

scutechute (08-26-2009)

Thanks

Re: Why Are Ball Pythons Beginner Species?

I think it has a lot to do with their temperament. The puppy dog tame aspect of most ball pythons is probably a big plus with beginners.

I have no experience keeping other reptiles besides bps, but as a beginner it was definitely a challenge getting things right. However I think anyone that is a person truly "responsible" about keeping a live animal could do what they needed to without much difficulty. The main problem I see is the availability of proper information in places like petstores. People often invest a good amount of money based on the wrong advice from pet store people only to have us tell them they need x,y,z.

I think thats the hardest part of bps as a beginner all the conflicting information you receive and somehow being able to wade through it to come out with your own way of doing things that work.

Edit: I mean once you get the temps and humidity dialed in its pretty much easy.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

They seem to be pretty hardy too. My 4 year old handles both of my snakes and while his favorite is the corn snake (I think due to the size) the ball is the one he LOVES to watch. If a 4 year old can handle the animals, they are hardy in my book. But then again, he was taught at a very YOUNG age to be gentle as we used to have a guinea pig, who was NOT hardy.

BP's can also be tempermental, meaning the first 2 weeks we had Jake, he did not eat. Freaked me out a bit, so I came on here, got some great advice, and now he's eating great.

Once I figured out how to handle, feed, temp guide, and keep the humidity up, he has been easy to pie.
    Jake the Snake Normal Ball Python
    Ira Albino Corn Snake
    Zeke Anerythristic Corn Snake

Thanks

Any person that is truly "responsibly" is not every person willing to buy a snake.

I mean, you can keep corn snakes (maybe even kingsnakes too) without heat in a room that's around 75*. BPs really need those temperatures right, and to me that's not what a "beginner species" is all about. Hell, my JCP is just as difficult to set up than those Ball Pythons, but thank god those aren't as common in the pet trade.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaP View Post
    They seem to be pretty hardy too. My 4 year old handles both of my snakes and while his favorite is the corn snake (I think due to the size) the ball is the one he LOVES to watch. If a 4 year old can handle the animals, they are hardy in my book. But then again, he was taught at a very YOUNG age to be gentle as we used to have a guinea pig, who was NOT hardy.

BP's can also be tempermental, meaning the first 2 weeks we had Jake, he did not eat. Freaked me out a bit, so I came on here, got some great advice, and now he's eating great.

Once I figured out how to handle, feed, temp guide, and keep the humidity up, he has been easy to pie.
    Hence my point... most newbies don't know/care for this.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I think Rich hit it on the head. Temperament all the way. And although it may be hard to get things right at first, once set up they are probably about the easiest pet in the world to keep. All the work is in the rodents.

And, regardless of all our hand wringing and fretting with exact husbandry numbers, in the end, BP's are quite bullet proof. Just ask Bruce!!!

I have rescue BP's who have suffered abuses that no other animal could have survived.

Thanks

They are inexpensive, small, good temperament, common, and durable. Yes they are stressed out easily and will go off feed easily, but they can last how long without eating?

Generally, people assume 'get a heat pad' and the snake is fine. Many do survive this way and somehow eat and grow. They won't be as stress free, but they survive.
    For example, my 'rescue' male had zero heat sources, hardly ever had his cage cleaned, a huge dried out water bowl, and was fed a mouse once a month or so. After 2 years of that, he's still 900g and healthy as could be.

Some people's snakes get by in similar conditions to ours, but still do fine. For example, one of my best friends keeps his ball in a 40g breeder, a branch and large hide, on aspen, with a huge water bowl and two heat lamps. Is the heat as efficient? No, but his temperatures are correct, and the large water bowl keeps the humidity up. He feeds her once a week and she's now eating live small rats fine.
    I won't interlude until an issue occurs. For now, there is none.

We want ours to thrive, not survive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    I think Rich hit it on the head. Temperament all the way. And although it may be hard to get things right at first, once set up they are probably about the easiest pet in the world to keep. All the work is in the rodents.

And, regardless of all our hand wringing and fretting with exact husbandry numbers, in the end, BP's are quite bullet proof. Just ask Bruce!!!

I have rescue BP's who have suffered abuses that no other animal could have survived.
    Temperament in my opinion is not a valid reason. Most colubrids in the pet trade have great attitudes.

Easiest pet to keep I disagree with also... back to the husbandry issues.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

Thanks

There will always be people that don't invest enough time or knowledge into keeping a live animal. Does that make the animal any harder or easier to keep healthy and happy, not IMO. Its all about the time and energy people are willing to put into it. Saying that all newbies don't have a clue is pretty much a stereotype like any other.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Temperament in my opinion is not a valid reason. Most colubrids in the pet trade have great attitudes.

Easiest pet to keep I disagree with also... back to the husbandry issues.
    When I'm helping friends get over their fear of snakes, I don't give them a cornsnake. That would be honestly stupid of me.

They're not as easy to handle, and to be honest, I've had more 'hungry' colubrids try to eat my hand then ball pythons. They move faster, while balls are easy for the beginner to hold. How hard is it to hold a snake rolled up into a tight ball and isn't moving compared to a skinnier fast and slithery cornsnake?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast