Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,180

1 members and 3,179 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is it?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: What is it?

Hi,

Thank you.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Try looking at the snake in the picture.

It's NOT a black rat.
    try a trip to the carolinas. that IS a black rat snake.

sorry wilomn, you're wrong this time buddy

Thanks

Baby racers go through on ontogenetic shift. They start out with a blotched pattern before transitioning into their solid adult colors. Anyone claiming it is a black rat has obviously never seen a baby racer.

And what does him being from California have to do with his ability to ID snakes?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Biscy View Post
    try a trip to the carolinas. that IS a black rat snake.

sorry wilomn, you're wrong this time buddy
    SonnyJim, I ain't the mistaken one here.

I've kept and bred black rats. I have yet to see one other than the one YOU posted here.

But you go right on ASSuming you're right.

It won't be the first time someone has made that error.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SerpentesCiconii View Post
    Baby racers go through on ontogenetic shift. They start out with a blotched pattern before transitioning into their solid adult colors. Anyone claiming it is a black rat has obviously never seen a baby racer.

And what does him being from California have to do with his ability to ID snakes?
    how about the locale? the fact that they are common where they are indigenous? i've seen literally thousands of rats and racers, babies and adults.

racers, both blue and black have red patterned markings as babies. rats are black/blueish and silver/white.

want to try again?

Thanks

SonnyJim, I ain't the mistaken one here.

I've kept and bred black rats. I have yet to see one other than the one YOU posted here.

But you go right on ASSuming you're right.

It won't be the first time someone has made that error.
    tell you what sir; i have babies right now. i'll take a picture of a baby black rat from my collection for your comparison.

and i don't assume, i just know when i'm right and not egotistical enough to think that applies 100% of the time...

Thanks

Arrogance, sweet, sweet arrogance....

I'm pretty sure that Nashville is someplace in Tennessee.

According to guys who should know, http://www.tennsnakes.org/, the black rat doesn't even occur in that state.

IF you would look at the eye in the first picture and then at the eye of whatever you're calling a black ratsnake I bet a smart observant guy like you will have NO difference seeing THE difference. Count a few scales too, that might give you another indication that things may not be as you think they are.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

kinda didn't mean for this to become a heated debate...just curiosity...either way I let the snake go the next day in my back yard. Hopefully it hasn't drown in all the rain we have been having.
    Steffen, pronounced with f's, not v's
    1.0 Normal BP, Oakley; 0.1 Normal BP, Hissy Fit; 1.0 Savannah Monitor, Abraxas, RIP 2-1-09; 0.0.1 Pacman Frog, Twoey; 1.0 BCI/BCC Cross, Quetzalcoatl "Q"; 0.0.1 Crestie - Flametail; 0.0.1 Crestie - Nuala; 0.1 Emp Scorpion - Black Arachnia; 0.1 ATB - Cortana; 0.0.1 Savvy - Lohe; 0.1 Colombian RTB, Queen Zida; 1.0 Common Boa; 0.0.1 Beardie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Little B-Py View Post
    kinda didn't mean for this to become a heated debate...just curiosity...either way I let the snake go the next day in my back yard. Hopefully it hasn't drown in all the rain we have been having.
    No worries. It's just a game we boys sometimes play.

Be nice to have an actual challenge every once in a while though....
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Arrogance, sweet, sweet arrogance....

I'm pretty sure that Nashville is someplace in Tennessee.

According to guys who should know, http://www.tennsnakes.org/, the black rat doesn't even occur in that state.

IF you would look at the eye in the first picture and then at the eye of whatever you're calling a black ratsnake I bet a smart observant guy like you will have NO difference seeing THE difference. Count a few scales too, that might give you another indication that things may not be as you think they are.
    what is this link?

black rats are the MOST seen snake in north and south carolina. the locals (aka, the ignorants) call them "black snakes". any snake that is black is a black snake.... so i can see how someone who would reference a Tennessee site/chart as the "all southeastern nonvenomous snakes" would have similar thoughts.

similar, yes. but not quite; color is the number one give away. five minutes on a yahoo search will show you what i'm talking about. don't check one site, check many and see comparisons from different states, esp sc and ga.

you'll find that rat snakes are VERY common in the area (red, yellow, black), much less than the black/blue racer, which is found more north, ie nc, tn, va.... we've got the racers too, but you don't see them very often. you're more likely to stumble upon a coachwhip than a racer.

but yeah; check the coloration of baby vs. baby. then go to counting scales and posting links.

and to the other poster, yeah; all in good fun . i like arguing with wilomn, it's entertaining and great stress relief.
    Last edited by Ben Biscy; 05-04-2009 at 11:58 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast