Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,276

1 members and 3,275 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Talking My snake keeps trying to Bite me??

So I just got a new Ball Python from a breeder. She's about 600g now and i take it she hasn't been handled much. What is the technique for tamming her?? She's very skiddish and trys to bite me if i put anything in the cage!

She has been in a box for the last 12 hours or so, might that be adding to her unrest.

This is my second Ball Python and my other one has always been very tame so I am new with this sort of snake who isn't people friendly.

Any advice on getting her to stop trying to eat me would be great!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: My snake keeps trying to Bite me??

First: With a new ball python, wait a week at least before any handling sessions. You can move them around a bit if you need to clean the cage and whatnot, but give a new ball python quite a bit of time to get used to a new home.

Second: bitey snakes often grow out of it. 600 grams is a bit big for a ball python to still have "hatchling" nervousness so I guess she just hasn't ever really been handled.

Best thing to do is assume you are going to get bit. Be calm, be careful. Move slowly but surely without hesitation. Wear thick leather gloves if you need to. During handling sessions, just gently pick up the snake(even if you get struck at while picking her up), and get her used to your hands/arms as just being snake furniture rather than predators trying to eat her.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

JbirdAg96 (04-22-2009)

Thanks

yeah you really just wanna leave her alone for a week and let her settle in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Also some snakes calm down greatly once you have already picked them up and they are securely gripping your arm..

The one thing to avoid is not picking her up as soon as she tries to bite you. That just reinforces a defensive response to attempts at handling.

Thanks

I also have a bitey one that I have been working with for a while now. Here are a couple of things that have helped me.

1. Before picking up, use a snake hook or something similar to lightly tap the snake to make it aware you're getting ready to pick him up. If it is in a hide, move the hide around a little before you remove it. Gives them a change to be prepared to be handled before the "claw of death" descends.

2. Always approach from behind the head. If you need to move the snake to get behind it, use a snake hook to slightly spin him to face away. If it continually presents its front to you, pick it up with a snake hook.

3. Handle in a very quiet place where there are no other distractions such as other people or pets. Also, do not set it down in your lap since that just creates another "getting picked up" situation. Once you have it out and in your hands, keep it in your hands until it goes back into its cage. Handle for 5 to 10 minutes max a couple of times a week.

4. My bitey snake doesn't like to be "looked into the eyes." He is calmer when I keep him facing away from me. He also seems to be calmer when I gently move him around as opposed to just holding him still. I gently transfer him from hand to hand unless he balls. Then I hold him still.

5. He also does much better when I keep him "stretched out" a little. It is harder for them to strike when not coiled so I gently unwind him all the time. If it wants to ball, let it but keep it unwound and not in strike position when possible.

My guy has calmed down quite a bit with the handling. He stills strikes every now and then but much less than the beginning.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Nvar; 04-22-2009 at 02:49 PM.
    1.1 Piebald BP ~Tobi & Miki~
    1.0 Spider BP ~Yoko~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nvar For This Useful Post:

JbirdAg96 (04-22-2009)

Thanks

She is most likely just stressed out from bein shipped. When I got my spider het hypos both were very nippy but after the first week they settled in their new cage I then fed them waited for them to poop then when I started handling them they were fine. So definently just leave her alone and let her settle

Registered User grim reaper in NY's Avatar
    Thanks

Alot depends on how it were handled, or IF they were even handled before you got it. Alot of times if a you get your snake from a breeder, they don't have alot of time to handle each snake individually to get it used to being handled. That's one of the joys you get to ecperience as a new snake owner.
    Patience is the key. Don't make sudden movements and if it does strike at you, just remain calm and don't jerk away. Once your snake realizes no harm will come to him by you picking him up, he should calm down considerably. Trust me, it'll be worth it in the end!
    Later,

Bri

0.1 - Pastel Ball Python
    2.0 - Normal Ball Pythons

Thanks

She just likes you
    Cold Blooded Asylum-COMING SOON to a Rack Near You

Thanks

The bitey ones seem to be the best eaters for me! LOL

Thanks

My biter's a tough one too. She isnt one to strike much, only struck a few times when I screwed up. But any touch or bump of the head be it my hand or a table, makes her jump. I use caution, but let her explore some, eventually she settles down. Just be persistent, once your snake's fed and been settled in for atleast a week you should be good to go.

"Law of the woods, eat or be eaten." - Jack London
    0.1 Adult normal - "Jemima" (Jem)
    1.0 Sub-adult spider - "Spidey"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast