Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,432

1 members and 3,431 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Help for Baby?

Thanks

Re: Help for Baby?

You can barely see the damage to his right ear, though I need to take a clearer pic. But here's Cruiser post-mauling.

Thanks

But you have another pitbull in the house too right? Whats to say that one wont get dog aggressive and go after your other dog? Or that once he is comfortable with himself that he might play rough with you. I say Baby is a normal pitbull with normal behavior for that breed and pretty mcuh any dog (minus the dog aggression). She needs time, patience and training to be a dog anyone would like. I think that if you wont keep her you should put her down as why pass your problems on to someone else. Finding someone who is knowledgeable about the breed is hard enough but finding someone who is knowledgeable about the breed and wants another one is even more difficult. I state again this is why this breed is not for everyone and they get a bad name. This is my female pitbull who is dog aggressive but was raised around 100s of other dogs while she was a puppy. she is also the one who killed one of our boxers because of our ignorance. You can see in the picture that she is missing part of her tongue and a little bit of her ear, she was attacked by our other pitbull 3 years ago.

We were stupid and figured they would all get along and we learned the hard way. I was in love with the breed and started learning everything I could. I became more knowledgeable and seperated the dogs. They are never out together now! Then I added a third pitbull and some other different breeds to the house. All of pitbulls get seperate time and needed lots of training to be the dog that I could enjoy. I just think once you get a dog no matter how much trouble they are you owe them to try everything you can. If you (not necessarily pointing it at you but a 'you' in general) take on a dog, especially one who had issues to begin with you should do what you can to make it work for you. You cant get rid of a kid or put it down if it gets an attitude or beats up on other kids. I dont think dogs should be taken so lightly. Baby has it in her to be a good dog, she just needs help finding it. And Cruiser has it in him to be an aggressive dog. I just dont see how you can get rid of one pitbull because of issues that are common with the breed.
    Tina
    0.1.1 Normal Ball Pythons- Hubert and Cefira
    2.1 Pitbulls- Roscoe. Jake. Ellie
    1.0 Great Pyrenees- Kodiak
    0.0.1 Yellow Spotted Salamander- Salamander
    0.1 Marbled Salamander- Mandie

Thanks

You think this is easy for me?

You think I'm taking this lightly?

I'm doing it because I have to, and sadly, it's my own fault. I am not blaming Baby for what happened, or what's to come because it was my decision to take in another rescue when I knew the risk, and I made a bad one. It's not that I don't want to continue trying to help her through her problems, which more than anything else that's what hurts the most, feeling like I'm giving up on her. At this point in time I only want to do what's best, most fair to the animals I care for, which obviously wasn't the case when I brought in the other dogs... or even when I picked Baby off the road because I knew one day I'd have my Beagle back. I screwed up...

But moving forward what's the best solution? Keeping Baby and trying to work with her and cross my fingers nothing else happens? Finding Baby a new home where someone CAN work with her? Assuming one day Cruiser does get aggressive towards Hallie, do I have the ability to work a three-way quarantine and give each dog adequate attention and training, keeping in mind I don't have anyone to help? It sucks but no.

I guess I could rehome Cruiser, he'd be easier to rehome because of his temperment, though I'd need to make sure the new home was ready/able to treat his heartworms. But even if Cruiser became aggressive towards Hallie, I can't help but believe the Cruiser/Hallie situation would be easier to control then the Baby/Hallie situation. I have a friend who'se going to be watching cruiser for a few days, just to see how things go, so I guess we'll see.

It's just, there doesn't seem to be A right answer to a problem that shouldn't have even come up.

Thanks

So, relatively happy conclusion to the recent affairs involving Baby.

It took alot of work, but I managed to track down my ex-girlfriend, the one who helped me rescue Baby in the first place. I told her of the predicament and she's more than happy to take Baby. See, when we broke up there was a huge argument over who get's Baby and I managed to keep her. I havn't seen her in a year, and deleted her phone number about that time, so getting in touch with her was no easy feat.

She's about as good a home as I could hope for, atleast for the time being, as she's a vet tech and has worked with aggressive dogs on numerous occasions. I'm a little concerned as to how things will go once she goes off to Vet school givin the time constraints, but that's a year from now which gives plenty of time to work something out. Of course I'm the kinda jerk that has some strings attached as far as getting to see Baby etc, but she's willing to work with me on that... assuming I "donate" Baby's crate etc, which is fine by me. I have no more need for it.

It's kinda sad, but really it's the best option that has presented itself.

Thanks

Ben,

Glad to hear that you found a home for her! Hopefully she'll take the best possible care of her, like you obviously have thus far!
    Jason

Thanks

Thanks Jason, it's been a roller coaster ride, and although there's now a degree of seperation, thankfully it's not over yet!

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm sooo happy for you. Sounds like Baby has a chance to change and you can rest easier knowing you've done MORE than most would given the entire situation and circumstances. I'm very proud of you Ben!

iMom
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

That's awesome! I really hope it works out well for her!
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

I am sooo happy you found her a home. I didn't envy your situation at all. But I honestly think you went about it the right away. Kudos to you!
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Thanks

I didnt mean to come off harsh but your situation happens all too often and like I said it is a common issue with pitbulls. I hope you start doing some research and I know you will be cautious having Cruiser around Hallie. I wish you luck and if you ever need anything like training advice or have questions I am here. I apologize for coming off harsh but its frustrating from an outside point of view as well as me trying to share my experiences so that others may learn from them.

I am glad Baby found a good home and with someone she already knows! I hope everything works out great. And thanks for all you put into it!
    Tina
    0.1.1 Normal Ball Pythons- Hubert and Cefira
    2.1 Pitbulls- Roscoe. Jake. Ellie
    1.0 Great Pyrenees- Kodiak
    0.0.1 Yellow Spotted Salamander- Salamander
    0.1 Marbled Salamander- Mandie

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456