Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,491

1 members and 3,490 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help for Baby?

Thanks

Re: Help for Baby?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    Goosman don't confuse training with temperment. I have the worlds biggest love sponge and he is very very well trained. However, I also saw him take down a full grown turkey from mid-flight and rip it in half.
    Yea I understand. Which is why I have doubts that one could really change that aspect about her. But she's cone so far with training to change how she interacts with the world around her with positive results. Now after a year and a half of work she's finally really playing, I wonder if there's now a way to put a check on how rough she gets without making her think I'm punishing her for playing at all.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

out of curiosity, what is your response when she gets too rough when playing?

Thanks

That's a good idea. Lets start a thread about dog training! Nothing like a hot topic to keep the forum going.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gooseman View Post
    Yea I understand. Which is why I have doubts that one could really change that aspect about her. But she's cone so far with training to change how she interacts with the world around her with positive results. Now after a year and a half of work she's finally really playing, I wonder if there's now a way to put a check on how rough she gets without making her think I'm punishing her for playing at all.
    She is a pitbull through and through . That intense concentration on killing the toy is always going to be strong with her.

I think instead of reinforcing her natural drive to kill and shred and tug on a rope toy, put her energy towards retrieving or other doggy stuff, (even though she may not give a rats arse if you throw something and expect her to retrieve it. )

I believe if she uses her energy in other activities daily, and it's made explicitly clear about the attitude of a pit bull, she would be able to be rehomed with an experienced and willing pit owner.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katiadarling View Post
    I think you're missing the point. I think it's great for him to use the techniques if they work for him and he can do so safely. I don't think it's good for people with no dog training experience to try to use his techniques at the risk of them getting bitten. As littleindiangirl said, there are many different training styles. My recommendation would be that people only use physical dominance based training styles under the close guidance of a trainer.

I don't feel the need to watch his show and I think I have a very good grasp of his training techniques. Obviously they work for him... I just don't think they should be tried by someone who is a novice at training.

As for your last comment, I would guess that his show only airs the success stories. Sadly, not all dogs can be rehabilitated.
    I have to disagree once more. I have never seen him aggressively confront a dog in the red zone. In fact, he points out to most owners that this is the wrong way to confront a riled up and aggressive animal.

Maybe you consider all confrontation as aggressive. (which, from the looks of this thread, I do have to seriously consider true).

Confronting an animal is not an attack, and he has never done that with a dog. He aims to be calm and assertive. Calm, you aren't adding fuel to the fire. This involves body language, tone of voice and movements. Cesar strongly advises that giving the wrong energy to the situation only makes it worse.

When you confront an already freaked dog, being aggressive is only going to make the situation worse and he goes on to explain this to the humans that think it's the only way to get the animal back is by being more aggressive than the dog, like a "fight" of who can be the worst.

Things you have come here with as "proof", I have honest to God never seen him do or teach other's to do (such as confronting a dog aggressively), which leads me to believe you really haven't watched.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littleindiangirl For This Useful Post:

recycling goddess (04-22-2009),Spaniard (04-22-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    She is a pitbull through and through . That intense concentration on killing the toy is always going to be strong with her.

I think instead of reinforcing her natural drive to kill and shred and tug on a rope toy, put her energy towards retrieving or other doggy stuff, (even though she may not give a rats arse if you throw something and expect her to retrieve it. )

I believe if she uses her energy in other activities daily, and it's made explicitly clear about the attitude of a pit bull, she would be able to be rehomed with an experienced and willing pit owner.

I agree 100%. I don't have Pit Bulls, but I have had 2 American Eskimos, a breed lovingly known as 'face biters' by vets, groomers, etc., and my success with them was to always let them know who the leader of the pack is (by making them sit before being fed, taken for walks, allowed to play with a toy, etc), by spending time with them through play sessions and grooming sessions, and by tiring the heck out of them through really long walks. They both (one now lives with my ex) can be around other dogs, cats, and children.

From what I've read on this thread, it seems Baby has hope. But I would recommend someone w/o children or other pets, who is familiar with strong breeds like Pit Bulls, Rotties, etc., maybe even worked with abused dogs before, and who has time to work with her & let her expend a lot of energy.

I do wish you the best of luck because it is a terrible situation that you are in.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MuzeBallPythons View Post
    I agree 100%. I don't have Pit Bulls, but I have had 2 American Eskimos,
    LOL, @ "I have had 2 American Eskimos". First thing to pop into my mind was a little Eskimo boy in an igloo.

I've always heard that breed is always gogo a-go-go.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have to disagree once more. I have never seen him aggressively confront a dog in the red zone. In fact, he points out to most owners that this is the wrong way to confront a riled up and aggressive animal.
    There are ways to confront a dog aggressively without being physical.

The bottom line is that my understanding of dog behavior and training are different than your understanding and so agreeing to disagree is the best that will come out of this.

Thanks

LOL, @ "I have had 2 American Eskimos". First thing to pop into my mind was a little Eskimo boy in an igloo.

I've always heard that breed is always gogo a-go-go.

Haha...I always get weird looks from people when I say that.

Go-go-go is absolutely correct. The older boy (with my ex) is pretty calm, but he's also close to being in his teens (not sure exactly since he's a rescue), but the girl is going to be 7 this year & she is non-stop. She has way more energy than our soon-to-be 2 yr old Chihuahua. She tires him out in a few minutes!
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Assertive is not aggressive.
    Caesar is a good people trainer, and I've never seen him become aggressive with any dog ever. And I understand the difference between physical and non. He's not aggresive, he's in charge.

Scattering treats when a dog is behaving "aroused" or aggressive, or out of control is only going to train the dog that good things happen when they get into that state.

Someone like Caesar would be the only case I would see as appropriate for a home, since as stated before.. a new home with no small children or pets is NOT safe, because a friend can come over with kids, or a neighbor's pet can be nearby.

Dogs don't "play" so rough that they remove half an ear. That's aggression. When you're worried that she'll grab you accidentally and do damage, that's a aggression issue. It's not the same as a dog that just jumps on and attacks someone(some pet). But it is still aggression. She has a instinct to grab and kill that is stimulated when she grabs something, especially something living.

You have a dog with aggressive issues, and calling it "arousal" or saying it's a play issue will not change the fact. I would call Caesar's place up and see what they tell you. They might be able to point you to a trainer closer to you that is able to deal with "red zone" dogs. You can't intimidate her out of it, and you can't love her out it, you can only deal with the honest truth of her nature, and hopefully deal with it in a safe manner.
    Good luck.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast