Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,206

2 members and 3,204 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Super, overwhelming stinky cat poo

Hey Connie, ever been to a zoo and close up to the bigger cats? After cleaning enclosures at our zoo, tiger poo is very comparable to what our domestic cats' poo smells like when they're on a high quality, high meat diet.

Some of the canned food I've used have made horrific poo. I will never use science diet canned again, ever. BLEH. Made his poo green and smell just awful.

Baron just gets the canned for the calories, since he has the metabolism of about 3 cats, haha. He's really been liking the Newman's Own, Sheba(nice high quality), Blue Buffalo Wilderness chicken/turkey, friskies selects, fancy feast selects, etc. I try to have a variety laying around.

I will try to find you the recipe that Rebekah(baron's breeder) uses for her ground chicken raw diet. It's a bit different than some of the published ones.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SatanicIntention For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (05-01-2009)

Thanks

Personally, i feed my two Blue Buffalo spa selects or wilderness, whichever is on sale when i'm shopping (i buy the 15 pound bags, they last a while). They get supplemented with wet food (i buy proplan) they really dont eat a lot of wet food, if i give them too much they leave it in the bowl. I do add warm water, or wet food into their kibble to change it up a few times a week and to make sure they're getting the water they need.

I don't notice extra stinky poo with the BB, but some cats wont eat it because it dosen't have a lot of the crap added that gives lower quality foods their attractive flavor.

With my cats, and the BB, i can switch around the flavor and type without any consequence so I can give them something new (new flavor) that is good for them, and they eat heartily. I wish i could free feed them, but one of them doesnt understand the concept.

Blue goes for about 26.00 for the 15 pound bag around here, sometimes i can get it for 21 i think. depending on the sales. What i like about it is taht i can go to petsmart to get it, not a specialty food store.

Thanks

I am not understanding why people are saying the Evo is too rich either. It is like a raw diet in kibble form. There is nothing else added other than the meat products. So how is more rich than a chicken raw diet?

A couple people have swicthed their cats over by offering the minced/ground meat a couple times a day and not offering anything else. By the end of day 2 your cat will be more interested in the raw food because it doesnt have the option of the kibble. Then you have to be concerned that if you want to do a combo diet of kibble and raw that they may hold out for only kibble if they like that more.
    Tina
    0.1.1 Normal Ball Pythons- Hubert and Cefira
    2.1 Pitbulls- Roscoe. Jake. Ellie
    1.0 Great Pyrenees- Kodiak
    0.0.1 Yellow Spotted Salamander- Salamander
    0.1 Marbled Salamander- Mandie

Thanks

I just go by what quite a few people who have been doing this for 20+ years have said. NV doesn't seem to have the effects that EVO does. I don't know why, they both have 50% protein and 23% fat, just NV has alot more ingredients and tapioca as the one teensy carb(no allergy reactions with tapioca known).

Wellness also seems to be very rich, but I'm sure it all depends on the cat.

I guess I just have a weird cat. He will eat anything and everything, like a dang dog. He got some raw salmon the other day and ate the whole thing, skin and all.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Oh! I just thought about this yesterday, but we've been stink free for almost two weeks now. Unless he's going when we don't know it, I think his digestion is finally all groovy.

Thanks

Awesome! (I'm jealous! )
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

Well, we gave it the old college try! My cats 12lb bag of EVO was finished last night.

I admit the smell did improve some, but I also have a feeling he started using the toilet in the middle of the day when we are not home. I was really convinced his body got used to it after a few months of use, but once in a while, we would smell his stink floating from his litter pan, so I have to admit defeat.

Trying to get him over to wet food has been a battle. I've been reading and using methods described on catinfo.org, and it seems right now the major problem is getting him used to the wet texture. He does not like EVO wet, wellness wet, but he does eat the Fancy Feast wet?? I buy the small portion cans that contian the least amount of carbs, some still have rice and wheat in them, I avoid those ones. No fishy stuff either.

So, in the mean time, I am going to pick up some Nature's Variety on the recommendation from Becky and others, and see if he likes their canned food, (do they have canned?).

I just have to say, EVO did wonders for his fur, his energy and build, but caused such distatrous poo odor, that I would not recommend it to others unless their cat happens to not have the same issue. This is coming from a snake owner here, I am used to stink, but this is just the worst I can barely handle.

Thanks

We just switched to Taste of the Wild from Natural Balance. Poo was stinky and soft on the NB. Good luck Connie! I know what a pain this is
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks

I've used the EVO canned with good results. NV has alot of good canned food, as does Wellness. None of these have caused any difference in poo smell-age.

If you want to try raw stuff, get a cornish hen. Cut it up into quarters and let him go at it. Baron loves the cornish hens and they're perfect size for one cat.

For a good meal, you want one boney piece such as a thigh or drumstick or two wings(thigh preferably, normal size chicken), necks are good, 1-2 egg YOLKS(NO whites), 1 liver, 1-2 gizzards, a half a gelcap of Vitamin E(good for skin and heart), and a sprinkling of either Missing Link supplement or (I'm sorry, I'm having a brain fart) another one that I use. I leave dry NV out all the time, it's a mix of 50/50 Chicken and Rabbit. Baron gets half a can or sometimes a whole can(5oz) of wet food, generally NV, EVO, Wellness or whatever I have on hand at the moment. I use L-Lysine, half a tablet, if Baron will be going to a show. Helps the immune system function better in times of stress.

I'll get the name of the supplement I use when I get home and PM it to you. They really like the stuff. Looks like ground up jerky, haha.
    --Becky--

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catawhat75 View Post
    I don't have any suggestions but had to say I had the same issue with my cats and Evo. I think it was just too rich for their systems to handle. What I have ended up doing that seems to be working great is 1/3 Evo and 2/3 Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet.
    Oh and the wet Evo made it 100% more stinky if that was even possible
    My cat got super stinky also plus I read that Evo is not so good for older cats .So now they eat Natural balance L.I.D. Canned and the smell is no longer able to make me run out of the litterbox room with my nose plugged . This happened with blue buffalo wilderness dry also .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast