Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,320

3 members and 3,317 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Super, overwhelming stinky cat poo

Hm, I have a kitty like this too. Both kittens have been on the same food (Natural Balance http://www.naturalbalance.net/catformulas/UltCat.html ) since I got them, and one of the kittens (almost a year old) always stinks the place up. It's not like that at all with my other cat. You can tell from the other room who is in the litter box....and then the stink follows him! It's not a food change issue or anything, as they have been on a mix of the wet and dry versions of that food since Oct. at least. I'm at a loss, and my cat stinks! Let me know if you get your kitty to stop stinking!!
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pitbulls4me View Post
    I would say stick with the Evo as it is a really good food and see if his body doesnt adjust to it. Changing of proteins and the percentage usually has a stinky effect. With the dogs we changed them to Solid Gold it was a buffalo type and they did fantastic on the food but it made them stink. We went out and got the Beano capsules. You just sprinkle a bit on the food and it helped a lot. We ended up swicthing over to a raw diet and it worked even better. Cats are harder as they are very picky. I would try your hardest to get him to eat some kind of moist food though. It really does make a big difference in kidney health later on in his life as most cats done get enough water for the kidneys to age normally. Fresh tuna or other kinds of fish is a good way to start it. Also mincing the meat you are offering helps a lot too as most cats dont like to get dirty or have to chew much. I know people who supplement with live rodents. I used to work at a cats only vet clinic and I would hear some crazy stories.
    Thanks, we've talked with our vet and she recommend keeping him on it for at least 4 more months.

We are working to get him off of dry kibble, but he loves it sooo much, it's pretty difficult.

I actually thought about how easy it would be to toss him a dead rat, but I think the mess would be too much!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tweets_4611 View Post
    Hm, I have a kitty like this too. Both kittens have been on the same food (Natural Balance http://www.naturalbalance.net/catformulas/UltCat.html ) since I got them, and one of the kittens (almost a year old) always stinks the place up. It's not like that at all with my other cat. You can tell from the other room who is in the litter box....and then the stink follows him! It's not a food change issue or anything, as they have been on a mix of the wet and dry versions of that food since Oct. at least. I'm at a loss, and my cat stinks! Let me know if you get your kitty to stop stinking!!
    I don't know about the ingredients with Natural balance, but if it has any veggie matter, they may have issues with it. Try switching to a diet without any veggies for 4 months (my vet recommends at least that long) and see how it goes.

It may end up being your cat is like mine and the stink gets worse!!!

But I am really devoted to working with him to get him to a at least partial raw / wet diet. He is only a year and half old, but he is already snubbing any wet food, so it will be some time.

Pretty much following the advice of this site: http://www.catinfo.org and www.catnutrition.org

Thanks

Baron's breeder has been feeding a supplemented ground raw diet(chicken and other varieties such as emu, turkey, rabbit, etc) along with whole pieces including bones(poultry mainly) as well as a high quality kibble, so as to make it a complete diet, for 15 years. She has never had a cat get urinary calculi or bladder infections. Even she doesn't recommend Evo or Wellness though. Too rich The canned Wellness and Evo is okay though.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

It's good to hear that the Evo and such can be too rich. I was feeling a little bad that I couldn't really afford to feed the cats the *really* high quality foods, but knowing that they aren't always the best option does make me feel a bit better.
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

A good kitty food is one that doesn't have many or any carbs, such as plant and grain matter. Iams indoor can be a good food if you're on a budget. Do not get Royal Canin, full of crapola and has been making cats vomit/diarrhea/close to death in some cases.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness is a decent food too. Petsmart has it.

I know the foods may seem more expensive, but comparing the cost to how little they have to eat, it's actually cheaper than the less expensive brands. Higher quality equals less fecal matter, less health problems, more lean muscle mass and happy kittehs
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

I'm happy to hear of others' experiences with EVO before I bring my kitty home and doom us all to uber-smelly stankbombs in the litter box. I was considering the EVO, but after hearing so many people mention extra stink and the richness of it I may just look elsewhere or try the blend as mentioned. I would like to stick with the least amount of grain possible.

Does anyone have experience with Orijen? That one's also high on my list of foods I'd like to try.
    `*`

Thanks

Have you gotten the kitty's poo tested for parasites? Sometimes this can lead to very stinky poo. It might be a good idea to get done just in case.
    ~Alli

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadera View Post

Does anyone have experience with Orijen? That one's also high on my list of foods I'd like to try.
    Don't know if this helps, but I've read about Orijen when I was searching for stinky kitty poo, and it seems from the few I read that people like it.

Quote Originally Posted by aaramire View Post
    Have you gotten the kitty's poo tested for parasites? Sometimes this can lead to very stinky poo. It might be a good idea to get done just in case.
    Yes, twice, he's clean. The switch was the direct influence of his stinky poop.

The vet told me that she likes to keep cats on a new diet for at least 4 months before giving up, just to make sure that his system is completely used to it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    A good kitty food is one that doesn't have many or any carbs, such as plant and grain matter. Iams indoor can be a good food if you're on a budget. Do not get Royal Canin, full of crapola and has been making cats vomit/diarrhea/close to death in some cases.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness is a decent food too. Petsmart has it.

I know the foods may seem more expensive, but comparing the cost to how little they have to eat, it's actually cheaper than the less expensive brands. Higher quality equals less fecal matter, less health problems, more lean muscle mass and happy kittehs
    My cat hated Blue Buffalo. It's a very fishy smelling food too.

Thanks

On the same topic, what exactly is too "rich" about Evo?

I see it mentioned a lot with people who turn to it, and they mention, "It's too rich for my cat". What does that mean, what specifically is too rich?

Too rich in protien? Meat? Fat? Calories? Just wondering, because if a kibble is too rich, then wouldn't a raw ground diet be too rich as well?

If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it.

I mean, his activity is much improved, his fur is super silky /no dandruff, he loves the food, his stool is not too soft, but not too firm and smaller (he eats almost half of what he used to, about 1/3 cup daily, IF that)...

It's just a stink! LOL

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast