Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,141

2 members and 3,139 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Super, overwhelming stinky cat poo

Our cats get supplemented escaped ASF weaners...yaaaayy escaped rodents!!

But seriously...I hate these lab tanks. At first they were awesome, then we had a few escapes, no big deal, the lid wasnt on all the way, our fault. Now we have had escapes on 2 occasions just because the little buggers squeeze through bounding for freedom.....luckily the fall to the superior skills of ....

Meredith

Madison

Myrtle

Jabba aka Doody

and....Gizmo the Master Hunter
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ThyTempest For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (04-22-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

The herring probably has a lot ot do with the smell in the poo. But any rich food will smell worse. I'd suggest mixing it with another food, or adding in blended veggies perhaps?
    Cat poo is bad enough as normal, really horrid cat poo is a punishment.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Chicory root extract helps reduce the smell of the stool.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4theSNAKElady For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would switch. Evo has proven to just be too rich for most cats. Try Nature's Variety. It also has 50% protein, 23% fat. I mix the rabbit dry and the chicken dry together, half and half, and my boy is very happy. Poo is solid and small and doesn't have a "gag-a-maggot" smell, LOL.

It also has more variety of ingredients in it. You can go on their website and get a buy one get one free coupon for a bag of food. Good deal. Their 12 lb bags are generally around $30, down here anyway.

www.naturesvariety.com
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SatanicIntention For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Our cat gets nature's variety raw medallions and wet food. He's super healthy and energetic and his poo doesn't smell very much at all...

I tried him on evo when he was younger, but it seemed to be too rich for him and made for some hellaciously stinky poo that was runny too (even after a very slow transition).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to katiadarling For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Have you tried any odor eliminating litter or anything of that nature?

Or - perhaps now is a great time to invest in an automatic litter box cleaner...one the cleans the litter and sucks up all that mess into your toilet so you can flush it.

I LOOOVES my auto cleaner ... it's a cheaper one, one that doesn't do all the toilety goodness that I just mentioned - but still, it works quite well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Have you tried any odor eliminating litter or anything of that nature?

Or - perhaps now is a great time to invest in an automatic litter box cleaner...one the cleans the litter and sucks up all that mess into your toilet so you can flush it.

I LOOOVES my auto cleaner ... it's a cheaper one, one that doesn't do all the toilety goodness that I just mentioned - but still, it works quite well
    Well, I mean it's fresh step litter LOL. I seriously considered getting an auto cleaner!

But, (big butt lol) the stank follows the cat when he just gets done doing his business. Oh, it's so horrible!

Quote Originally Posted by katiadarling

Our cat gets nature's variety raw medallions and wet food. He's super healthy and energetic and his poo doesn't smell very much at all...

I tried him on evo when he was younger, but it seemed to be too rich for him and made for some hellaciously stinky poo that was runny too (even after a very slow transition).
    I would love to put him on a raw (if what you mention is raw) and wet food diet, but he doesn't like it! What a picky cat. He loves the Evo though. Sooooo frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention

I would switch. Evo has proven to just be too rich for most cats. Try Nature's Variety. It also has 50% protein, 23% fat. I mix the rabbit dry and the chicken dry together, half and half, and my boy is very happy. Poo is solid and small and doesn't have a "gag-a-maggot" smell, LOL.

It also has more variety of ingredients in it. You can go on their website and get a buy one get one free coupon for a bag of food. Good deal. Their 12 lb bags are generally around $30, down here anyway.

www.naturesvariety.com
    I want to give him two months on the Evo, just to rule out any additional system conditioning is still the main reason for stinky poo. But I had gone around reading the cat forums and it seems that most people like to mix evo with the Nature's variety or wellness as well, and that works for them.

I'll have to check out the nature's variety next time I'm there!

Thanks everybody!

Btw, I'm going to use "gag-a-maggot" from now on.
    Last edited by littleindiangirl; 04-22-2009 at 11:20 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    I would love to put him on a raw (if what you mention is raw) and wet food diet, but he doesn't like it! What a picky cat. He loves the Evo though. Sooooo frustrating.
    That's funny that he doesn't like it! My cat will eat almost ANYTHING, he's a piggy. I don't like feeding him dry food because he doesn't really chew it and from what I've read the carbs in most dry food (although obviously not evo) aren't good for cats...

Thanks

Oh yea, he mews and rubs my legs like crazy when I'm cutting meat for dinner, but when actually given a small bite, he acts like a snob and walks away.

Same thing with canned. I don't know where he picked it up, since he was a rescue though it very well could have been the shelter, but he comes running when he hears me open a can of food, but once I give it to him, he snobs that too!

Thanks

I would say stick with the Evo as it is a really good food and see if his body doesnt adjust to it. Changing of proteins and the percentage usually has a stinky effect. With the dogs we changed them to Solid Gold it was a buffalo type and they did fantastic on the food but it made them stink. We went out and got the Beano capsules. You just sprinkle a bit on the food and it helped a lot. We ended up swicthing over to a raw diet and it worked even better. Cats are harder as they are very picky. I would try your hardest to get him to eat some kind of moist food though. It really does make a big difference in kidney health later on in his life as most cats done get enough water for the kidneys to age normally. Fresh tuna or other kinds of fish is a good way to start it. Also mincing the meat you are offering helps a lot too as most cats dont like to get dirty or have to chew much. I know people who supplement with live rodents. I used to work at a cats only vet clinic and I would hear some crazy stories.
    Tina
    0.1.1 Normal Ball Pythons- Hubert and Cefira
    2.1 Pitbulls- Roscoe. Jake. Ellie
    1.0 Great Pyrenees- Kodiak
    0.0.1 Yellow Spotted Salamander- Salamander
    0.1 Marbled Salamander- Mandie

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast