Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,423

2 members and 3,421 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Super, overwhelming stinky cat poo

So, we just switched our cat over to Evo cat/kitten. He was eating the Eukanuba "equivalent" for a long time, and since we switched him, I've seen his energy levels sky rocket, literally within days. Both Chris and I were impressed and figure the $40 price tag (for 12 lbs) was worth it. He was already a psycho, but now it's like he's on speed. He is just super happy all the time.

However, it had been about a week since he was completely switched over, he came into the living room just REEKING. I couldn't believe just HOW terrible HE smelled, the litter box was worse. Going into the room with the litter box was absolutely nauseating and overwhelming. I have never in my life smelled such terrible poo odor!

Anyways, anyone have any ideas? Evo is supposed to be a great diet. He is going in for his booster shots soon anyways, so I can ask the vet, but I wanted to hear any one else's experiences.

Did I not introduce it slow enough???

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Super, overwhelming stinky cat poo

How slowly did you switch him over to his new food? Generally the time frame is over about a week and a half, but I tend to tell people to try to push it closer to 2 weeks just in case you have a sensitive kitty on your hands....

Also, what are the main ingredients in the new food? Sometimes the food itself can make the cat a little on the stinky side..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thatkindofgirl For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (04-22-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thatkindofgirl View Post
    How slowly did you switch him over to his new food? Generally the time frame is over about a week and a half, but I tend to tell people to try to push it closer to 2 weeks just in case you have a sensitive kitty on your hands....

Also, what are the main ingredients in the new food? Sometimes the food itself can make the cat a little on the stinky side..
    It was over a week I switched him over, but I'm beginning to think it just wasn't slow enough?

Well, top 5 ingredients are... (from website)

Turkey is the clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of turkey or a combination of thereof - exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, and entrails.

Turkey is an excellent source of highly digestible protein. Natura uses high-quality turkey in many of our formulations.

The turkey Natura uses is tested to be free of hormones, antibiotics and pesticides, as well as chemical preservatives such as BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin. This is an important distinction because manufacturers are not required to list substances that are present in the ingredients when they go into the pet food.

Chicken meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts of whole carcasses of chicken -- exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails.

Chicken meal is considered to be the single best source of protein in commercial pet foods. Natura uses high-quality, low ash chicken meal extensively. This ingredient is very digestible, very palatable, and very expensive.

Chicken is the clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of chicken - exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, and entrails.

Chicken is an excellent source of protein.

The chicken Natura uses is tested to be free of hormones, antibiotics and pesticides, as well as chemical preservatives such as BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin. Natura does not add these harmful ingredients, and they are not present in the ingredients we use. This is an important distinction, because manufacturers are not required to list substances that are present in the ingredients when they go into the pet food.

Herring meal is the clean, rendered (cooked down), dried ground tissue of undecomposed whole herring or herring cuttings, either or both, with or without the extraction of part of the oil.

Herring meal is a good source of Omega 3 essential fatty acids. Natura uses the whole herring including the oil from this excellent food fish in our cat and dog food products.

Chicken fat is obtained from the tissues of chickens in the commercial process of rendering or extracting.

Chicken fat is the highest of all animal sources in linoleic acid (over 23%), an important element for skin and coat health. Because Natura uses such high-quality chicken, this is a high-quality source of fat.

Thanks

I don't have any suggestions but had to say I had the same issue with my cats and Evo. I think it was just too rich for their systems to handle. What I have ended up doing that seems to be working great is 1/3 Evo and 2/3 Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet.
    Oh and the wet Evo made it 100% more stinky if that was even possible
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

6. The Following User Says Thank You to catawhat75 For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'd consult a vet about food changes.
    Just like humans, animals can sometimes have digestive systems that react differently to certain ingredients.

Like someone mentioned above, compare the ingredients list on both products.
    You say the former was an "equivalent" so hopefully you'll be able to rule out what it is that's reacting so harshly with kitty.

In the mean time, get arm and hammer odor control kitty litter and pack the litter box room with baking soda air freshener boxes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pandora For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    I'd consult a vet about food changes.
    Yea, already stated my Vet will be talked with.

Thanks

If you grind up fresh beets and add it to a dog or cats food, it will make for a solid and less smelly stool.
    Do not resuscitate

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsirkle For This Useful Post:

Ben Biscy (04-29-2009),littleindiangirl (04-22-2009)

Thanks

I think just the food change, but it could be permanent. We switched our cats food twice in the last 6 months or so to combat knock-out quality stench. I think they eat a Eukanuba naturals or something now....too lazy to get up This has the least smelly poo that we have found, and it is a decent price, so I think we are going to stick with it.

However...one of our cats wont eat it...she prefers the dog food...and of course the dogs like the cat food.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsirkle View Post
    If you grind up fresh beets and add it to a dog or cats food, it will make for a solid and less smelly stool.
    Stool is solid, just stanky!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThyTempest View Post
    I think just the food change, but it could be permanent. We switched our cats food twice in the last 6 months or so to combat knock-out quality stench. I think they eat a Eukanuba naturals or something now....too lazy to get up This has the least smelly poo that we have found, and it is a decent price, so I think we are going to stick with it.

However...one of our cats wont eat it...she prefers the dog food...and of course the dogs like the cat food.
    Yea, it was a Eukanuba naturals I think. But this food is incredibly higher in meat and protein (50%!). Where the Eukanuba still had some grains and like 30% protein. :/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast