Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,186

1 members and 3,185 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Question on Handling and Lighting

So first off, my ball loves his hide, pretty standard. When I want to handle him, is it fine to take him out of the hide? He doesn't seem to mind when I do it, but I just wanted to make sure that's not a BIG taboo before I do it again (feeding today so the for a few days its moot). Another question is about lighting, if I have a light above the tank (screen top with foil) can I put the light directly on the screen top? Is there a danger if he stretches all the way up to the top and sniffs it with his face? I am still messing with things to get it perfect, and I was thinking of getting a light so a) I can see him at night (will prolly get two, with different bulbs so he gets a nice day/night cycle) and b)for some added temp control to the ambient air, beacuse its a little chilly, while the floor stays at a toasty 92-94 with humidity around 60%. Also, is that level of humidity too low or just right? I find it very easy to adjust the humidity level in there so lemme know if you think this is good! Thanks for the help, I'm sure he'll be thankful for any input!

Thanks

Re: Question on Handling and Lighting

Hi, hopefully I can answer most of your questions.

First off, it shouldn't be a problem getting him out of his hide. He's most likely sleeping when you do, so he might need time to wake up and he might hiss a little at being disturbed, but it's not going to stress him out as long as you're not doing it several times a day. Also, he will be more agitated if he's hiding in his hide during a shed.

The light on the screen isn't a problem, either. Many setups are like that, although it's not ideal. Balls don't usually rub their faces like other species, so I wouldn't be too concerned about him rubbing against the screen on top. Still, it might be a good idea to keep a lower watt bulb in the lamp or use a rheostat to keep it turned down as long as the temps in the bottom of the cage are good.

Finally, 60% humidity is just fine. You might want to bump it up during shedding if he has stuck sheds, but other than that you shouldn't worry.

-Lawrence