Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,092

0 members and 2,092 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,561
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    Thanks

Interesting new Mojave Behavior???

I'm pretty sure this is an ok behavior but just wanted to pass on to you all to make sure my thinking is ok. The only reason I am bringing this up for conversation because it is new for him.

I opened up his rack tub about 2 weeks ago and smack dab in the middle of his water bowl there he is taking a bath. Just sitten there chillen out. He stayed there for about 2 hours and then off to his hide. Consistently now I will find him in his water dish in the evenins. Usually for about 1-2 hour time frames. The water dish is towards the front of the tub cool side.

I have monitored for RI, no visual issues, no abnormal breathing, close inspection for mites daily and with tub cleaning. He is eating as well as he always has, went thru a perfect shed, no change in handling tolerance. He is the exact same bp as before but now he likes taking a bath nightly.

Now as a new bp owner I am probably over-reacting but with all the information I have read in prep for ball python ownership and now having them I have read that soaking can be a sign for mites?

Anyways husbandry is 50% humidity when not in shed.....70-80 % during his sheds, 92-93 warm side 80-83 front of tub in the rack, back half warm side is newspaper for better temp control, and front half of tub is aspen.

No worries? Or keep an eye on him? I am thinking this is just a choice of his for temp regulation.
    Thanks for your thoughts
    Troy Van Orman/Kysenia www.prairielandpythons.com(daily blog and updates!)tavopt@prairierehab.com

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Interesting new Mojave Behavior???

I wouldn't worry at all. Sounds like you are right on top of things. I like to keep humidity around 60%.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenn For This Useful Post:

Kysenia (04-15-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Some BP's just love laying in their bowls I've got 2 that are always in them
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

Kysenia (04-15-2009)

Thanks

My normal female does the same thing usually 3 to 4 times a week. I thought the same as you when this first started a couple years ago. Went to vet...fine. All temps were correct and so on. I believe if you husbandry is up to par, you should have no worries.
    ~Brian Sutton~

1.1 100% Het Albino
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Pastel