Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,651

0 members and 2,651 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

Picking up First BP in a few days

Hello there, I posted my first thread on the cat section here b/c I'm a cat lover, but soon to be a BP lover. Wanted to introduce myself, post a couple pics that I took today when I went to meet the BP, and ask a question.

My husband has been wanting a BP for the last year. I've been doing all the research (I'm a little OCD about researching new pets) and then I tell my husband what to do LOL.

We haven't picked up the BP yet b/c we aren't quite ready. Want to get temp regulated, and any problems fixed before bringing home. Hopefully Thurs will be the day. His current home isn't really what's best for him. First off, there's no basking lamp , his only source of heat is a heat rock and one log to hang out in, and no thermometer. We'll provide him with the with everything that's recommended for a BP. I've already printed and read the care sheets, and the section on how to set up a glass vivarium. Over all though, he seems healthy, active and very friendly. I'm sure he'll thrive when given the proper equipment for his needs. (say "he" not really knowing for sure)

My question is, what's the best way to transport him from his current home, to my home which is an hour away? Is the car heat enough to keep warm, or should a bring "warmie" (we use warmies when transporting sick kittens at the rescue I volunteer with - which is a tube sock filled with uncooked rice and microwaved until desired heat is reached. Stays warm for a couple hours)

Thanks

Re: Picking up First BP in a few days

I would suggest that you not use a lamp for heat, but rather a under tank heater (UTH) and a thermostat. Or a UTH with a rheostat.
    I prefer a thermostat.

For transport, I like to put the snake in a pillowcase, and Styrofoam cooler. The car heat should be enough.

Thanks

Get two hides, that are not log hides.

Get a 10g or 20g cage. If he's young and under 2ft, I would get him the 10g. (he looks like he'd be fine in a 20g).

No basking lamp, get a UTH with a thermostat. Check for burns from that heat rock when you get him.
    Car heat should be fine with a pillow case double tied, unless it's super cold.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

car heat will be enough, they transport very well at room temps(70-80) so if it is comfortable for you it is comfortable for the snake.

A VERY important note: Don't cook your snake by keeping directly in front of the heat vents. You'd be surprised at how much hotter it can be directly in front compared to the ambient car temps.

Thanks

This is a little off the OP topic but... you suggested
    No basking lamp, get a UTH with a thermostat.
    Most every set up I'm seeing has a black lamp on top of the enclosure. Are you suggesting that the lamp is unnecessary if you're using an UTH with a thermostat? I know hot rocks are a big no-no and a good gradient from side to side is a must. I AM concerned about a spot lamp creating a "hot spot" in the tank, though.

Thanks

Got it. My original plan for heat WAS (it can change though) a red bulb coming down from the top of the tank and then an additional basking lamp (but now I won't). The red bulb set up was a more appealing price than the UTH. But I can return bulb and get UTH if it's best.

I went to walmart today to find suitable hides now that I know the size of the snake. He's probably close to 3 feet long. Bought 2 plastic flower pots that seem like a good size. Not too big, a little snug. His current water bowl isn't big enough to fit his body, so I'll replace that for him.

Registered User grim reaper in NY's Avatar
    Thanks

An UTH is the best way to go. I do have a red basking light, low wattage that I do use at night but only because it gets cold at night here in NY. My temps stay steady 24/7 and I wouldn't be able to accomplish that without the UTH.
    Later,

Bri

0.1 - Pastel Ball Python
    2.0 - Normal Ball Pythons

8. The Following User Says Thank You to grim reaper in NY For This Useful Post:

The Letch (04-16-2009)