Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,280

1 members and 3,279 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Say the bill is passed...

Quote Originally Posted by t-Roy View Post
    Somehow I just don't see this bill making it.. Let's not fear this bill. Everything will be ok is my prediction..

This came out of nowhere. And easy come easy go.
    I have to tell you, until about a week and a half ago, I felt the exact same way. But since then I've gotten involved with the effort against this bill and every day I speak with Washington D.C. lawyers, political lobbyists, and various national pet association board members (for birds, fish, and small mammals) and I am scared. The people that I speak with are scared and they do this for a living. I know it's easy to sit in your home and look at what's going on and think "oh, that will never happen" ... but nothing can be further from the truth. It can and will unless we do something about it.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icygirl View Post
    Mods I am not promoting illegal activity... But I suspect, as another poster here mentioned, that if this bill passes, an underground market for herps and feeders WILL develop...

I mean, for example, there's a law in Massachusetts (possibly everywhere in U.S.? not sure) that you aren't allowed to sell turtles under a certain size. When I worked at Petco a couple years ago, you have no idea how many times people asked me questions about their tiny baby turtles; often the turtles were purchased as gifts . I've also talked to many people since having that job that own baby turtles. Not sure where the heck they are getting them, but clearly the law isn't working or isn't being enforced...
    Yes its in every state because parents would buy their kids these putting them in small accessible tanks and little kids would play with them and a lot of them would stick them in their mouths leading to salmonella. Im not sure how so many were in Massachusetts but if you go to Florida you can find them all over the place.

I actually saved a quarter sized turtle from three kids who were trying to kill it... im trying to adopt it out ( I say adopt because if you cant afford $20 you cant afford the $100's it cost to raise it) and ive already been reported to the Ga DNR for trying to find it a home. What can I do, give it away? Thats still illegal.

Which brings me to a great point, im in the same ordeal as I would be if I wanted to rid of my snakes if the bill passed. Now, all you have to say to buy a little turtle legaly is that you want it for a school project and that would be a legal reason to sell it, but it wont be the case with the snakes.

Im stuck with this turtle that I cannot afford until hes either four inches big or I find someone who can take on the care a turtle needs.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dracovolans View Post
    I was talking today with a friend about this and he told me somenthing:

The president Obama said something about he will not pass any bill or will not do anything that would hurt the economy and even more if it is something that is making money like this industry is.

I don't know if this is true or how exactly was said, just heared about it today.
    You mean a politician said something and then went back on it? NO WAY!!! (I'm so not going to comment further on this particular point as it would be better suited to the QT)

Somehow I just don't see this bill making it.. Let's not fear this bill. Everything will be ok is my prediction..

Not asking you to fear this, but you SHOULD take it very serious. Just hoping for the best, is how this stuff gets passed. At the very least go and send a email to your state representative. Doing nothing is the same as supporting the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by icygirl View Post
    Mods I am not promoting illegal activity... But I suspect, as another poster here mentioned, that if this bill passes, an underground market for herps and feeders WILL develop...

I mean, for example, there's a law in Massachusetts (possibly everywhere in U.S.? not sure) that you aren't allowed to sell turtles under a certain size. When I worked at Petco a couple years ago, you have no idea how many times people asked me questions about their tiny baby turtles; often the turtles were purchased as gifts . I've also talked to many people since having that job that own baby turtles. Not sure where the heck they are getting them, but clearly the law isn't working or isn't being enforced...
    While it's true that is a very real possibilty, the promoting and discussing of illegal activities is against the rules of this site. The warning is given to warn that further discussion of a 'black market' would likely result in infractions being handed out.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Maybe this should be moved to the QT room? I mean, what do you do if you have a $4000 dollar snake and in a year your out of food to feed it ( saying you cant get any mice legally or illegally and thats all it eats)... you don't want to loose the money but you don't want it to die. What can/do you do?

EDIT: Im not trying to premote anything illegal, if this is passed this will be a problem and really almost the whole forum will have to shut down because there wont be any breeding threads feeder threads or anything other than just keeping them. And with no new members asking questions about their new snakes... what will happen to the forum?
    Last edited by Beardedragon; 04-12-2009 at 09:31 PM.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

there you go. Even better!
    It absolutely stuns me that someone on a forum that is targeted at reptile keepers would so casually dismiss this bill as nothing to fear.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell people who choose not to vote. You have NO right to complain when your rights are taken away from you if this bill passes, if you've chosen not to take any action, or tell others not to worry about this bill.

Thanks

Ive sent my letters and I email everyday and call everyday. Ive put posts on myspace and doen everything I could think of. All I know is no matter what happens my animals will always be with me and always be taken care of no matter what I have to do in the process!

SAY NO TO HR669

Registered User grim reaper in NY's Avatar
    Thanks

By not letting us feed our pets the rats they need to survive, they are, in effect, euthanizing these pets, just while they are in our care. it's a slow, INHUMANE way of killing these pets and that, in and of itself, goes against everything this stupid bill is trying to enforce. Now, where are the animal rights activists when it comes to this issue? Starving animals or prosecuting those who are trying to care for their pets is illegal, no matter how you slice it. I will NOT neglect my animals because of this law, IF it is even passed. They can throw me in prison and toss away the key because that's what it will take to keep me from caring for my pets.
    Later,

Bri

0.1 - Pastel Ball Python
    2.0 - Normal Ball Pythons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Would you go out of your way - and consciously break the law - in order to ensure the well being of your animals?

In other words, lets say breeding mice and rats is now illegal. But - you need to feed your snakes. Would you still breed mice an rats despite a written law saying you can't do it?

Quite drastic - but this is all "what if"..

Yes.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aSnakeLovinBabe For This Useful Post:

DutchHerp (04-12-2009),nixer (04-12-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    And im 100% confident it wont, but lets not argue about that... Today I was telling a friend about it and he asked me a good question, what would I do if I could no longer care for my current animals, or if I had to move to a different state? Now that isnt a problem now, but does the bill include no breeding rodents ( I know asfs are on the list?) but what about rats and mice?

What would BHB do with it all of its animals( Just an example, just the big breeder that comes to my mind with alot of animals) their main purpose is to breed and sell so I doubt they could keep their thousands of animals as pets? I know they wouldnt kill or let them go oblisously but they couldn't sell them?

Just wondering- Matt
    This should answer all your questions hope it Help.....

YouTube - Pets in Peril (politicians gone wild) HR669

Thanks

IF this bill passes im going on strike and create a big uproar in my city!
    1.0.0 ball python (normal)
    0.1.0 BCI RTB

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast