Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,969

0 members and 2,969 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

Traveling 14 hrs or more

I just found out we are probably moving this summer. Right now, it looks like we are moving at least 14 hours away. How can we safely transport our snake? We might also have to stay in a hotel overnight.If we don't move this summer we will definitely be moving in December. Will we have to do anything different if we are moving in the winter instead? Thank you for any help!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: Traveling 14 hrs or more

Driving is just fine. Put the snake in a pillowcase, and then in a ventilated box.

keep temps between 65 and high 80s. Watch out for direct car heating/air conditioning making temps too extreme.

If possible have the permanent home set-up with temps and humidity stabalized before you move.

Most hotels don't allow animals but you can probably sneak your snake in, it's not like they bark or anything. Don't leave your snake in a car unattended, temps can fluctuate quickly without someone around monitoring.

It's late and I'm a little fuzzy headed but that's a start for you. Ball pythons are hardy and tolerate less than ideal temperatures for a day or two with little issue. Just imagine all the stress that they go through being shipped through the mail.

Thanks

Just make sure your snake has not been fed within a day or so of moving and that it is well hydrated before you pack it's home up. We've moved with multiple snakes and they do fine. Make sure it's home is the last thing on the truck so it's first off and you can set it up quickly once you arrive.

You might want to pick up one of these.....

You can find them just about anywhere (dollar store, WalMart, etc.) Just add in some holes for ventilation. This one pictured has a lot of holes since I hold live prey in it on feeding night around here. Bag the snake, put it in the container and you're set. Make sure the container isn't left in the car unattended or that it gets too hot or too cold. Once you're in the new place just let the snake settle in a few days to a week before you offer it food and you should be all set.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thanks for the help! Even though I probably won't be taking her with us now. We found out the post we are moving to doesn't allow snakes anymore. So unless hubby can get an exception we have to give her up.

Thanks

When you say "post" are you refering to a military post.

Thanks

Yes, they privatized Fort Leavenworth a few years ago. When they did, they put pet restrictions in place. We didn't have any pets when we were there last time, so I didn't know about the new restrictions when we bought Daisy.

Thanks

Well thats a bunch of crap

Thanks

That's what I said! Good news is, hubby is really good at getting his way, so hopefully he can talk them into an exception. I'm half tempted to sneak her in if we don't, but I don't know what kind of trouble he would get in if they found her.

Thanks

I would be pissed if I found out someplace I was going to didnt allow reptiles, they just expect you to leave them behind and give them away. Well I hope everything works out for you