Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,188

1 members and 1,187 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,581
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I just found a loop-hole ish thing in HR 669

It states that to be put on the Preliminary Approved List it must be:
    •Not likely to be harmful to the United State’s economy, environment or other animals’ or human health
    OR
    • May be harmful “but already are so widespread in the United States that it is clear to the Secretary that any import prohibitions or restrictions would have no practical utility for the United States.”

I feel that most of the herps we keep are already very very widespread, I know that some people keep herps that are rare. I'm still mad at the bill overall but the second bullet point may let us still keep a lot of herps that we already have.

source: http://www.pijac.org/files/public/US_HR_669.pdf
    Last edited by temec; 04-07-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: added source
    1.0.0 ball python (normal)
    0.1.0 BCI RTB

Thanks

Re: I just found a loop-hole ish thing in HR 669

Ultimately the best thing we can do is stop this bill before it gets passed!

Thanks

agreed.. but if it is passed The best we can do is fight for getting on the approved list
    1.0.0 ball python (normal)
    0.1.0 BCI RTB

Thanks

Do you know the animals already on the approved list?
    1.0.0 pastel ball python: morpheus
    1.2.0 leopard geckos: wolverine: phoenix: mystique
    0.0.1 yellow-nape amazon parrot: meeko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by temec View Post
    •Not likely to be harmful to the United State’s economy, environment or other animals’ or human health
    OR
    • May be harmful “but already are so widespread in the United States that it is clear to the Secretary that any import prohibitions or restrictions would have no practical utility for the United States.”

I feel that most of the herps we keep are already very very widespread, I know that some people keep herps that are rare. I'm still mad at the bill overall but the second bullet point may let us still keep a lot of herps that we already have.

whos to say if this passes you can even get an animal off of the list or that since the person incharge of this list isnt an elected official is not crooked and put things on there in exchange for a later position.

Thanks

ill tell you one thing, if it passes and you live in florida, don't be surpired if all boas and pythons get on the list!!!

and if this passes, it will be a gateway bill for others to follow. such as S373 which bans transport of pythons and boas across any state line.....bye bye reptile shows such as daytona!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas339 View Post
    ill tell you one thing, if it passes and you live in florida, don't be surpired if all boas and pythons get on the list!!!

and if this passes, it will be a gateway bill for others to follow. such as S373 which bans transport of pythons and boas across any state line.....bye bye reptile shows such as daytona!
    this is not a state by state list. this is one ban for the entire country!
    this bill does ban transport of the listed species!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

OR

H.R. 669 does not define what "Not likely to be harmful to the United State’s economy, environment or other animals’ or human health" or what "already are so widespread in the United States that it is clear to the Secretary that any import prohibitions or restrictions would have no practical utility for the United States" actually means instead leaving those definitions to the appointed (not elected) officials in an already under staffed and under funded US Fish and Wildlife service. Fish and Wildlife does not support pet ownership in the United States ... only United States natural resources.

What may seem like an easy out to reasonable people in favor of keeping parakeets, hamsters, angle fish, and reptiles as pets is a very vague and very powerful tool to people with a different agenda.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

agreed.. but if it is passed The best we can do is fight for getting on the approved list
    The way H.R. 669 is written, organizations trying to get animals on the approved list will likely need millions of dollars and years of time in order to fund and wait for a scientific analysis to be conducted. It's a system specifically designed by anti-pet animal rights groups to be included in H.R. 669 to make it completely cost prohibitive for small grass roots organizations to have any effect at all on H.R. 669.

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keepzrollin View Post
    Do you know the animals already on the approved list?
    none. Once HR 669 is passed, US Fish and Wildlife will have 36 months to evaluate thousands upon thousands of species to determine if they should make it on to the approved list or not ... anything not evaluated by the end of the 36 months is automatically not approved. The really bad news is that USF&W doesn't have the money or the man power to evaluate even a fraction of those animals in that time.

-adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast