Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,407

3 members and 3,404 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is there a maximum enclosure size?

I am planning on building an aenclosure for my BP for her to spend the rest of her life in and i was going to make it 4x2x2. Is this too big, too small, could it be bigger? Is there a maximum enclosure size for a bp? what about a 5x2x2?

Thanks

Re: Is there a maximum enclosure size?

you are going to get a few diff answers here. some are going to say use a tub from size 6qt to a 41, others will say 10 or 20 gal tank max. but the only thing that you have to think about is the health and welfare of your snake. if you can make a 70 or 100 gal tank feel safe and provide the right heat and humidity and dont mind the extra work then its fine. but if you dont want the extra work then smaller is better.

i have mine in cages from a 28qt to a 70 gal and i have to say they all eat great but my 70 is alot harder to care for the tubs are easy enough i just have my 9 yr old do it.
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks

well if a 9 year old can handle it i guess i can. lol Anyone else?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I suppose the largest enclosure would be if you put a fence around Africa.

Seriously though, In my opinion 5X2X2 or even 4X2x2 would be quite large. Your snake would likely not ever use the whole thing and may even feel a little intimidated by so much space (depending on how many hide boxes you supply) Of course your snake may surprise you and be very active in such a large area. It really depends a lot on the individual personality of the snake.

Realistically, 3' X 1.5' X 1' should be more then enough room for your snake with floor space being a more important consideration then height. Ball pythons are primarily terrestrial and won't care that much about height, though I'm sure someone will mention that they keep theirs in a 6 foot tall cage and it loves to climb (again this has more to do with individual personality of the snake and is not really the norm). Those larger sizes would work nicely for a boa though.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

My viv is 48x18x18 i have a juvi BP and shes loves it !!! i couldnt see her being kept in a tub

BPnet Veteran Exotic Ectotherms's Avatar
    Thanks

I keep mine in a 48"L x 18"D x 20"H custom Animal Plastics enclosure. I think it is ok as long as you are able to maintain appropriate temps and humidity and you well decorate the enclosure (translation: no big empty floor spaces). My bp couldn't be happier in his cage and eats great every week.

He likes the extra head room too, as he likes to climb to get closer to the radiant heat panel at times.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

If you are going to make a big enclosure, make sure there is more floor space than height. The extra height is pretty useless for BP's. I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping a BP in a large enclosure, its just usually large aquariums are ridiculously tall, and that height is completely necessary.

The only things there are to worry about with a large enclosure are
    1. The snake being stressed out from being in such a big space.
    2. Maintaining proper temps in humidity with so much space.

That being said, the largest I would ever go is 36x18x12.
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brownec_870 View Post
    Is there a maximum enclosure size for a bp?
    Western Africa.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks

My response to this question is always the same. if you use all of the space properly, by filling it with places to hide and climb and swim and do snakey things... there is NEVER too large of an enclosure. What I mean by that is a lot of people worry about the snake being stressed because of a large area. If you provide tons of low lying hiding places and make the entire area a secure place for your snake to be, he will be very pleased! The world is their enclosure in the wild! If you are able to provide a larger-than-absolutely-needed space, why not?!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aSnakeLovinBabe For This Useful Post:

Ed Chisholm (04-07-2009),Exotic Ectotherms (04-07-2009)

Thanks

I have only been a BP owner for a couple of years, and have only one snake, but after reading a lot of these threads (all VERY helpful), I find there is a pattern. I find that the answers all come from people who really love BP's, but may have different perspectives. It seems that there are those who have a lot of snakes and use enclosures like tubs and racks, there are those who have a few snakes and treat them as family members/pets with a display type enclosure (I am guilty as charged) and then there are those who do both (aSnakeLovinBabe, wow what a collection!!!). It is cool to read all the responses and get re-assured that I am providing the best possible care for my BP. I thank all of you who are so patient with us rookies. I have a large enclosure, and have included all the "necessities" as well as a some extras (a tree branch, fake tree). I would like to think that my BP is very happy in her home.
    You want me to share a cage with what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast