Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,304

2 members and 3,302 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defensive BP

Thanks

Defensive BP

I got a young BP shipped to me that was pretty worked-up when I received him. I've had him a number of weeks now and done all the stuff you're generally supposed to do to calm him down (Didn't handle for a week and then only take him out for 10 minutes or so a couple times each week). He's in a tub, in a quiet area, and is eating well but still very defensive when I go to handle him.

Anyone have any additional tricks they use to calm down a defensive/striking BP? Does it help to not handle him for a long period, say, three-four weeks or do I need to just work through this?
    1.1 Piebald BP ~Tobi & Miki~
    1.0 Spider BP ~Yoko~

Thanks

Re: Defensive BP

how is he defensive? mine still hides his head if i move fast or reach in to grab him after lifting his hide off. they will never loose the nature reaction to protect there head.
    1.0 Ball Python: Monty
    0.1 Red Tail boa: Dixie
    0.1 Tree Boa: Carmen

Thanks

He's striking. When I open his tub just to check if it needs cleaning, etc. he goes into a strike position. I have two hides in his tub and he uses both. He will also come out into the open part of the tub. He just doesn't like to be handled.
    1.0 Spider BP ~Yoko~

Thanks

well only thing i can say is maybe it will get better with time thats all u can do really. some tho uncommon, dont gro out of this.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nvar View Post
    I got a young BP shipped to me that was pretty worked-up when I received him. I've had him a number of weeks now and done all the stuff you're generally supposed to do to calm him down (Didn't handle for a week and then only take him out for 10 minutes or so a couple times each week). He's in a tub, in a quiet area, and is eating well but still very defensive when I go to handle him.

Anyone have any additional tricks they use to calm down a defensive/striking BP? Does it help to not handle him for a long period, say, three-four weeks or do I need to just work through this?
    How is he once you've picked him up?

Young snakes are often very defensive - it comes with being near the bottom of the food chain. It's not uncommon when they're small..........

Different snakes react differently to handling. You've used all the tricks. He'll calm down in his own time. I would handle him minimally until he shows some signs of calming down.

When you do attempt handle him, make sure you don't show him that his behavior will be rewarded by aborting the handling session.

Thanks

and remember a bite surprises you morethen it hurts.

Thanks

When I actually handle him, he seems to be shy but does not strike. He strikes when I set him down in my lap or anywhere else and then try to pick him up again. Perhaps I should keep him in my hands the entire time for our short handling sessions.
    1.0 Spider BP ~Yoko~

Thanks

Another trick for biters is to use a wash cloth to cover the head. This prevents bites, and scares the animal less as he can't see "the giant bird of death" coming his way.

I do this with all of our testy animals, large and small (large animals get a towel instead of washcloth).

Thanks

I will try that. Maybe I need to make a hood like they use on birds of prey (LOL). I already rejected the idea of a muzzle.
    1.0 Spider BP ~Yoko~

Thanks

If it is a defensive strike (quick strike, no coil and VERY quick recoil back to the original position) its a behavior that should be conditioned out. There is the occassional BP that is a snappy little bugger its entire life. Posters above me are correct though. Try a gental head tap with a snake hook if you have one, the washcloth idea seems good just make sure he dosent strike at it and get his teeth caught. (He'll spit it out eventually if he does).

Get some gloves. They have incredibly small teeth and the bites really arent too terrible. Gloves will let him learn that striking dosen't mean he gets put down. Keep handling sessions short and positive and hopefully you will see an improvement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast