Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,421

2 members and 3,419 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: A Million Bajillion Garters (HUGE DUW!)

Seriously.... Holy AWESOME collection of garters!!!!!

Do you have a website/are you breeding these in the future? I will be keeping you in mind!!!
    Alicia Holmes
    www.BerkshireBoids.com
    Enough snakes that i cant count them properly anymore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    That depends on what you mean. A blue phase Eastern is known as thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis "Florida Blue". These are simply eastern garter snakes that have taken on a blue coloration. Eastern garter snakes are not known to be blue anywhere else other than florida.

A Blue Striped garter snake, while also from florida, is an entirely separate subspecies called thamnophis sirtalis similis. Some people call these Florida blue stripes.

There is a lot of confusion regarding all of this, I know!!!
    Ive been looking FOREVER for a Blue Striped! Not just the Blues... they dont catch my fancy as much as those stripes do!!

But seriously... you just got me all caught up with the pic of your "Bluebie, female puget" Can you tell me more about these guys? Holy Gorgeous! Now i want one of THESE more than the blue striped!
    Alicia Holmes
    www.BerkshireBoids.com
    Enough snakes that i cant count them properly anymore.

Thanks

I've always been kinda against garters because of bad "smelly" experiences as a kid. But you collection is so very very beautiful!!! Your changing my mind.

Out of curiosity do you ever have issues with this defense mechanism in garters?
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

Thanks

Beautiful Pics!!!

I love the garters variable looks. Especially, the rare and going extinct San Francisco. =(
    My first snake.. memories..

I will have garters again someday..
    Joseph
    Hyper Reptilia
    "Where our reptiles come first"

Thanks

Thank you, i have seen a couple of florida blues for sale and wasnt sure if they where similis or sirtalis. Sounds quite complicated, any tips on identifying one from the other? These guys are like gold dust in the uk,its a shame not many people bother with thamnophis over here.

Thanks

Most of my future breeders are still growing up as we speak. next year, and the year following, will be big for me. I love my garter snakes to death. If by "smelly" expieriences you were referring to being musked, yes, it does happen, PARTICULARLY with the more high strung subspecies. I have to hand it to The Blue Striped Garter (similis) for being the most high strung, wiry, jumpy, bite you for any reason garter out there. If you get one of these as your first garter you probably won't like it too much. People looking to acquire a first time garter should opt for one of 4: Plains, Easterns, Checkereds, Red-Sideds or Wanderings. ( respecifully radix, sirtalis sirtalis, marcianus, parietalis and vagrans) All 5 of these get relatively large, are VERY easy to convert to eating rodents and home made-garter food, and have very relaxed personalities. Many wild caught snakes of these groups will take unscented frozen thawed rodents on the first try! I have seen it first hand!

Some of the more high strung species out there are Blue Stripes, Eastern and Western Blacknecks, Puget Sound, Oregon Red-Spotteds and any of the ribbon snakes which actually are garter snakes too. ( respectfully Similis, cyrtopsis, pickeringii, concinnus, proximus & sauritus) Many of these guys will also give you a harder time about switching over to rodent prey.

Bluebie is a blue phase puget sound garter. This subspecies of Common Garter Snake thamnophis sirtalis pickeringii has some individuals that are exceedingly blue. However, due to their really tiny range of only one place in Washington state, they are hard to come by. They have small clutches of usually between 6 and 12 young...Watch out for the guy named Bob on kingsnake, he lives in washington and gathers these snakes to sell for profit. the only babies he ever offers are from mom snakes that he captures and keeps until they birth. They are tempting but best to buy from a reputable breeder!

Now please note, that I cannot speak for all members of a species, just that generally, some species tend to be more docile and personable than others. There are exceptions to every rule!

Thanks

I actually live in that area of washington! As I said before I used to catch garters as a kid and the blue ones were always my favorite. The next time I'm out in the woods I'm gonna keep a closer eye out, I didn't realize how special they are. My grandmother lives in Pierce county and I will be out there for opening fishing season weekend... I may come home with a new baby...

What about red ones? They seemed to be as rare as the blues to me.
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

Thanks

Fantastic photo's, the male infernalis looks awesome

Thanks

Dizzy (Is never online anymore )

BPs:
    0.1 pinstripe (Brody)
    1.0 normal (Rogue)
    1.0 pastel (Valo)
    0.2 het albino (Dali & Vee Vee)
    1.1 het orange ghost (Max & Brook)
    0.4 poss. het pied (Polly, Nic, Marla & Fertility)

0.0.1 albino pacman frog
    0.0.4 fire bellied toads

1.0 bearded dragon (Bart)

0.1 the best cat in the world (Salem)
    2.0 kittens (Donny & Walter)

Thanks

wow amazing collection those blues are crazy

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast