Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,350

4 members and 3,346 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Can't figure it out?

I have a female BP normal. I've had for over 3 years. humidity 50%-55%, temps warm side 85-87 cool side 80-81 . Hides on both sides. In the winter she sometimes goes off feed 3 weeks because of the cold weather. I live in south Alabama and it's been pretty nice lately outside. I can't get her to eat for the last 6 weeks! AHHH! Can't see any health issues, not shedding, has defacated about 3 weeks ago, no new stress for her. She usually eats a med-small rat every 2 weeks. I tried a frozen thawed last night and shook it in front of her hide. She came out looked like she wanted to hit it and then went back inside and just stuck her head out. ????????? thanks mitch

Thanks

Re: Can't figure it out?

Sometimes pythons just go off feed honestly. Its not unheard of for them to go much longer periods of time without eating. But I can make the suggestions that were made to me. First: Try and get your temperatures up a few degrees. I also have found the greatest success feeding late in the night. ( around 11 or 12 pm ). Another suggestion is after you thaw your rodent ( I personally feed live though ), leave it in the room for a bit before you try and feed. Might tempt your lovely into being more hungry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PythonJiuJitsu For This Useful Post:

mak2266 (04-05-2009)

Thanks

I'm not much of an expert, but she could be reaching sexual maturity, and this is the end of breeding season. They will usually go off feed in the hopes of a handsome man coming by I wouldn't worry too much, she should be back in no time. Some people have had their snakes go for 4 to 6 months without eating. She is very capable of handling it. Just watch her weight, and if it starts to drop dangerously get her to the vet. If she seems healthy all you can do is offer and keep waiting.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stratus_020202 For This Useful Post:

mak2266 (04-05-2009)

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I just like to see her eat, I guess. She never went this long before. I usually feed live but tried F/T rat just to see if she would react to it. Thanks mitch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Some BP's just won't take f/t unless you practice tough love they maybe will eventually take the f/t. pre scent you room, after thawing use a blow dryer to really warm up the rat (especially head area), feed at night, if Bp doesn't strike & coil, leave rat in take and check back in an hour if not leave in enclosure overnight. (if rat still there the next morning toss out rat), wait a week & try again.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Could we see some pictures of your enclosure?
    Also how big is it?