Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,429

1 members and 3,428 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Can a hide be too humid?

It's just a plastic cereal bowl, with a hole cut into it. She loves it, but when I got her out the other day the bark was really moist. She is in shed now, so i'm not too worried about, but i caught her moving over to the hot side today, and the bark was so wet it stuck to her. Should I stick a probe in it and test the humidity? I'm not going to do any changes until she sheds, but I heard too much high humidity can give them RI. Has anyone had any other problems with this? Usually her humidity is a flat 50-55, but because of the shed i've bumped it to 70.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: Can a hide be too humid?

60% humidity is fine
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

stratus_020202 (04-03-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

If your substrate is wet, that probably isn't good.
    Can you tell us more about your setup?
    Do you mist your enclosure?
    Could she have tipped her water bowl?
    Could she have peed?
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    If your substrate is wet, that probably isn't good.
    Can you tell us more about your setup?
    Do you mist your enclosure?
    Could she have tipped her water bowl?
    Could she have peed?
    No. I don't mist. I have a 55 gal, and i tried misting, but it just doesn't work in something that big. I do have a waterfall, but it's not near her hide. And her water bowl, which both i check for spills daily. they seem fine. I do use a cup with some paper towels as a humidifier, and it does sit in the opposite corner on the same side as her hide, but i have it locked in with a branch/log thing. She could have peed, but it didn't smell. I'll see if I can't get some pictues up later. I know the tank is huge for her, but her temps and humidity are usually perfect, and she seems to be comfortable. she eats great. I might do some rearranging after her shed, its going to be cleaning time anyway. I could also use paper towels instead of the repti-bark. It would be easier to see where the wetness is coming from. Do you think I should knock her humidity down a bit?
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

You could either switch to paper towels, or just replace the substrate where it feels wet and see if that helps.
    ~Steffe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Thanks

60% humidity would work. But that wouldn't mean that there wont' be a problem if the substrate is wet. If the substrate is wet that could lead to mold(possibly causing a RI) or could cause scale rot on the snake. Neither of these are a good thing so i would be really careful with whats going on under those hides.

I can also say to stay away from the plastic bowl type and such as they dont' let condensation escape so even if the snake did pee or something that would trap that moisture under that hide. I use the logs that are made out of the hard non wood substance cause they are easy to clean and my BP loves them. It allows me to use my humidifier and not worry about trapping moisture in hides that could potientally cause problems for my snake.

Hope this helps.
    0.1.0 BP { NyXx }

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DrEwTiMe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrEwTiMe View Post
    60% humidity would work. But that wouldn't mean that there wont' be a problem if the substrate is wet. If the substrate is wet that could lead to mold(possibly causing a RI) or could cause scale rot on the snake. Neither of these are a good thing so i would be really careful with whats going on under those hides.

I can also say to stay away from the plastic bowl type and such as they dont' let condensation escape so even if the snake did pee or something that would trap that moisture under that hide. I use the logs that are made out of the hard non wood substance cause they are easy to clean and my BP loves them. It allows me to use my humidifier and not worry about trapping moisture in hides that could potientally cause problems for my snake.

Hope this helps.
    Wow. I didn't think about that. Thanks!! I'll do a little cleaning under the hide for the next few days. Then, after the shed. I'll see if I can get something better. I don't want to change anything during shed. She's a little grumpy

1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

There is nothing wrong with plastic hides. You should never have a problem with condensation.

Wood hides are pretty terrible and in fact, hard to clean. There is no way to sterillize all of the small crevices unless you stick it in the oven for a half hour.
    Not to mention those log hides provide 0 security for the snake.

Stick to plastic.

edit: wait, so you have a non-wood log hide? What is this??
    Last edited by Kaorte; 04-03-2009 at 02:25 PM.
    ~Steffe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    There is nothing wrong with plastic hides. You should never have a problem with condensation.

Wood hides are pretty terrible and in fact, hard to clean. There is no way to sterillize all of the small crevices unless you stick it in the oven for a half hour.
    Not to mention those log hides provide 0 security for the snake.

Stick to plastic.

I have seen those bowl hides trap moisture. If it is moist under there at all it will not allow the condensation to escape. Plastic is not a porous substance so if you only have a little hole where the snake can go in as well as having a actual substrate not just paper towels they are ment to hold in moisture more. That coupled with the fact that there is nowhere for the moisture to go it could absolutly pose a problem.
    I do not use the wood logs, like i said in my post i use the hard plastic kind of hid logs. Wood is a terribel thing to use as it harbors bacteria. However i use clorohexidine solution to disinfect my stuff. And those logs can be washed with ease in the sink or dishwasher. And since its a log structure it gives her plenty of security and she loves it. She prefers it to any other hide i have put in her tank.

Ill see if i can pull up the link on the internet for you. They are great to use cause it takes out all the bad points of wood while still giving all the plus points.
    Last edited by DrEwTiMe; 04-03-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: more info..
    0.1.0 BP { NyXx }

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DrEwTiMe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So, explain to me how a hard plastic log is more porous then a plastic bowl?
    ~Steffe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast