Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,258

2 members and 3,256 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

egg hatch times.... cutting... ect.

I have eggs that are a week old now. So far, so good. they pretty much look the same as they did when they were hatched, and i candled them last night and they all had LOTS of beautiful veins.

So, How long does it take on average for a ball python egg to hatch if kept at 87.5 - 88 degrees?

I know I have seen lots of people on here that cut their eggs when it is time. Why do you cut the eggs? Is it better to do or not to do? please explain in detail.

Also, is my understanding correct on this? as soon as baby snake is all the way out of the egg, you pull him out of incubator and set up in the hatchling rack. You provide water and correct temps and leave it alone until it sheds. Once it sheds you start offering food. Does that all sound right?

Thanks in advance!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: egg hatch times.... cutting... ect.

I believe a lot of people cut at about 50-55 Days.

Thanks

I think I read in the VPI book one legit reason why people cut open the eggs. Some do it early out of wanting to see what they got in the egg. But for those that wait until the slit's were in the egg from the snake, was to create an air bubble for the snake to retreat into to avoid drowning while they absorb their yolk.

It made sense to me, but people still do lose snakes in eggs that go to full term, and it could be either drowning ( a good reason to cut a window), or cutting and getting a vein because it was too early... or the snake popping out of the egg before he absorbs his yolk because there was a door open....

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I incubate at 88.5 - 89 and cut at day 52

I cut because I can

Yes cutting has it's risks if not done properly. Yes you can lose an hatchling if not done properly so you better know what you are doing and proceed with caution when doing it.

It is really a matter of personal choice and like everything else has to do with making an informed decision.

In the event something goes wrong and I lose an hatching I am one of those people that does not want to think "what if I had cut the egg 2 or 3 days ago, could I have saved this hatchling's life?", so instead I cut at day 52 (VERY carefully)
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Kenj620 (02-14-2014),se7en (08-09-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Incubation temps of 89-91 make 52 days enough time for the snake to develop and cutting can be performed safely at this time.
    As for your question about setting up, when the snake emerges and leaves the shell on it's own it can be safely cleaned up, popped to determine sex and set up in it's own enclosure. Keep in mind (since you did not mention it) that you will want to make sure you use paper towel as a substrate and keep it damp until the snake sheds.
    After that it becomes like any other snake in your collection, good luck with the first few feedings.
    I cut because I am impatient and to suit my schedule to ensure I am available to take care of the hatchlings.
    -Steven

Thanks

We incubated at 89-90 degrees last year and cut on day 53 or 54 if memory serves (lost all my records when the computer failed ). I like to use either those blue shop papertowels or Viva brand paper towels for the new hatchlings. Dampen those down and they still stay strong and don't shred up when the snakes moves around. We offer them a small hide and a water dish and leave them be until they shed. Then about 4 days after that first shed we offer them their first meal.

Mike you are just not going to believe how a new hatchlings feels. It's like touching living silk. Almost no friction on your fingertips at all at first.

We left the hatchlings in the hatching box until they all exited their eggs. A breeder once told me that the movement of the hatchlings already out of the eggs stimulates the others to exit their eggs so his advice was to leave them be until they are all out of all their eggs.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I go 88.5 and by 55 days I usually see the first pip. I'm not a cutter, I rather wait till there out and about. Now I have cut an egg when others have already come out but otherwise I leave them be.
    Everyone one has their own way, whatever helps you sleep at night

Thanks

I cut 'em on day 55 at 89f. I have seen eggs cut with razor blades that bled like crazy. Scary looking. All the babies were fine. It seems like nicking a vein is not really a big deal.
    Cutting to early would be bad. Waiting till the first one pips, then cutting the rest is what quite a few people do.

Thanks

I cut at day 55 and my temp is 90 inside the egg box. I cut because years ago my first clutch of Burm. eggs had 2 babies drown in the egg. Sucks when that happens.

Thanks

One of Mike's Q hasn't been responded and I'm very interested in the answer. When they start to pip and absorbing the last of the yolk, do you leave them in the incubator? How long dois it takes for them to absorb it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast