Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,524

1 members and 3,523 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Should I be concerned?

I've had my python for about a month and a half. I handle him roughly once a day for 15 or so minutes. I've tried to feed him live mice the first two weeks (once a week), and then tried a frozen mouse and he didn't take it. I haven't changed anything in the enclosure until today. I just took everything out and stirred up the substrate. Everything is back the way is was. It was kinda funny though because when I was doing it, he seemed really interested. I only tried live the first couple of times because that's what he was used to (I adopted him). I know that the previous owner fed him rats and mice, so should I try a rat instead of a mouse? Last time he took prey was 2.16. I wasn't too concerned right away, but now, since it's getting into April, I figured he'd start to get on a regular feeding schedule. I have him in a 55 gal tank. The temps fluctuate slightly on the warm end. Usually it's around 91, but sometimes dips down to 87. Does anything think that slight fluctuation would cause him to be stressed? It doesn't happen very often and the humidity is always between 45-55%. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Should I be concerned?

i would try to use live to get him on a solid scedual first then make the transition slowly to F/T your probably not getting his intrest in the food item.

i wouldnt worry about that temperature fluctuation. its not that severe. its not the best thing in theworld but i dont think thats your issue.
    1.0 Ball Python: Monty
    0.1 Red Tail boa: Dixie
    0.1 Tree Boa: Carmen

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I see 2 possible problems. 1) I would not handle him everyday, that can stress them out. 2) 55gal tank is way to big for a bp. May need to think about backing up to a 20-30gal tank.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    I see 2 possible problems. 1) I would not handle him everyday, that can stress them out. 2) 55gal tank is way to big for a bp. May need to think about backing up to a 20-30gal tank.
    I agree. I would suggest not handling him until he has eaten a few times.

Also is the 55gal the tank he came with or was he in a different one with his previous owner?
    Terence Moore