Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,431

1 members and 3,430 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Heating Troubles

Ok i have heat tape on the bottom of my 40 gallon breeder tank. I taped it down with packaging tape... im going to buy foil tape tonight to see if that helps. But i have my thermostat set for 96 and the temp on the surface of the bedding is 88 about i dont want to make it any higher just incase her burrows. I am using newspaper with a THIN layer of aspen bedding over it. I have two thermostats hooked up to two different heat tapes. my room temp is 72 so thats why i have two heat tape elements. So what can i do to get the temp to 92 on the hot side and 82 on the cold side. by the way on my cold side it is set for 90 and is at 82. i cranked it up so much because if she does burrow then it wouldnt hurt her with that temp! So can you give me suggestions, would a space heater in the room help boost the temp???
    0.1 Normal BP

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: Heating Troubles

You should measure your temps right above the glass inside the encolsure. Just keep turning up the thermostat until it hits 92*. She will move the substrate around if she needs to get warmer.
    ~Steffe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ok i have to thermostat probe taped directly to the bottom of the tank, and i have both thermometers taped directly to the top of the glass. the ambient heat is about 72 should i get a space heater to boost that temp???
    0.1 Normal BP

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

can anyone help????? PLEASE
    0.1 Normal BP

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Have you tried using a CHE?
    If you are having humidity problems, I would use a space heater.
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Why have you got the thermostat probe inside the tank? I am a definate fan of having it on the heat source under the tank - far less chance of it being messed about with by the snake peeing or sitting on it (and no, there are no missing letters in that last word ).

Your posts don't jibe so can we get a bit of clarification of the temps at various places?

What is the temp under the substrate at the warm end and what are the temps on the surface of the substrate at the warm end?

Same for the cool end if you can.

It reads from your first post that the substrate you have chosen is creating a temperature difference of 8 degrees - if that's true then the best advice I can give you is change the substrate. As it is you are using two substrates - try it with just one of the two materials and see if that makes a difference.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Derek, no comments on the tape??
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DutchHerp For This Useful Post:

dr del (03-31-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I thought the tape was holding the UTH to the bottom of the tank so should be outside already shouldnt it?

Or is the UTH inside?

**edit**

OK just saw the bit I missed about the thermostat probe being taped down inside.

NO TAPE inside the enclosure unless it is low tack painters tape that won't stick to the animal hard enough to be a problem.

**end edit**

And don't wind me up young man or you will find yourself with a baboons butt as an avatar.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Derek, some would argue it goes great with my personality.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ok let me clarify...
    hot side under the substrate = 99
    hot side on top of substrate = 92
    cool side under the substrate = 88
    cool side on top of substrate = 82

the temps are good now, but if she burrows she will get burnt, she has never burrowed YET... also the UTH is on the outside under the tank attached by packaging tape, i am going to get foil tape to secure it more.

You said no tape... but is under the newspaper and aspen bedding... how else can i secure it???

Would a Space heater help will ambiant temp??? the ambiant temp now is 72 so it needs to get higher. will it also help with humidity... i have a humidifier going now and it is helping a bit!!!

This should clarify things a bit more!!!
    0.1 Normal BP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast