Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,709

4 members and 1,705 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum
    Thanks

Feeding response

So my female, which is about 530g. and based on her size and weight when I got her back in sept. 08, I assume she is coming up to her First birthday, is refusing food offered.
    She has been eatting 2 live mice every 7 days (due to the fact that she wants nothing to do with F/T, or rats for that matter. I have tried both many times with no success)
    None of the husbandry has changed. I have not changed her enclosure, other than during cleaning. There are no signs of mites, or any other external problems from what I can see. She is hydrated, and does not appear to be going into shed.
    I guess my question is, is it normal for a female at this weight and/or age, to refuse food? She has had a great feeding response up until this point. It has been about 2 weeks since her last meal. She has not shown any signs of losing weight as of yet. Is this something I need to be worried about? Or is it just a waiting game?

Thanks for any insight on this matter.

Tony.

0.1.0 Ball Python - Cali
    0.2.0 Crested Gecko - Sparkz, Bizkuit
    http://reptilegeeks.com/BooRadleyAMG
    http://myspace.com/plasticz82

Thanks

Re: Feeding response

2 Mice a week could have been too large of a meal depending on how big of mice we're talking about. She could be playing catch up now if that was the case. Monitor weights and keep offering food on your weekly schedule. She will eat again when she is ready if all other aspects of your husbandry are correct.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Feeding response

If you have not already, I would double check her temps to make sure your heating equipment is still working properly.

Also consider what has changed near her enclosure that might be affecting her. Are you in that room more often recently? Are you using a new brand of air freshener? etc.

I have read quite a few people talk about having a snake that ate & grew up to X grams and then suddenly stopped, so you are not alone in that. You may just have to wait it out until she is ready to eat again.
    Casey