Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,433

2 members and 3,431 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Sick/burned ball?

Hey all,

So I am the owner of a 5 yr old Ball named Jake. He presently resides 6 hours away from me with a friend at college. She took him after I graduated while I live at home. My parents didnt like jake escaping all the time. Anyway, so while on spring break, jake escaped and disappeared in her room. She found him no problem but when she did, she noticed a wrinkly patch of scales about 4 inches in length on jakes tail section. Additionally she said it seemed like their was blood under the surface. Here are a couple of Pics...

So there is really no telling what he climbed on or where he went in his escapade, he could have gone on a radiator or other damaging heat source.

Everything has been removed from his terrarium and replaced with sterile hides and papertowel. Also, the area has been cleaned with warm water. My friend says he seems a little better since she returned (sunday) and emptied the tank.

What do you guys think? I know I need to take him to a herp, but is this the start of scale rot, or is it a burn from over-exposure? All opinions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Op

Thanks

Re: Sick/burned ball?

that does look like a burn. but it also looks like its getting infected.

you should start treating it with some anti bacterial ointment that does not have pain killers in it.

expect her to loose some scales. as they will fall off the damaged area as it heals.
    1.0 Ball Python: Monty
    0.1 Red Tail boa: Dixie
    0.1 Tree Boa: Carmen

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

go to walgreens or pharmacy and buy a bottle of betadine and polysporin. Its expensive but does the job. those dont look that bad and with 2-3 times a day cleaning it should heal up in 2-3 sheds.

Thanks

Sounds like a trip to the vet is in order, since you'll be hard pressed to find a reptile Vet here that will diagnose and treat your animal online. Keeping them on paper towel is a start.

Why is the enclosure not secure? If this is a known common problem, what have you done to remedy the situation? I would hate to hear that your ball python escapes again, and something worse were to happen because you neglected to ensure the cage was properly secured when closed.

Giving us a very detailed description of your enclosure can help us give you ideas on how to make sure the snake does not escape, and that all of it's needs are being met husbandry wise.

Here is a link to this forums care sheet, please review to make sure you are providing correct husbandry.
    http://ball-pythons.net/modules/Sect...warticle&id=59

And here are links to find reptile vets in your area that can see your ball python.

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/#vetlist

http://www.arav.org