Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,422

2 members and 3,420 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

What kind of rat is this?

I picked up a young rat from my breeder friend the other day to keep my hairless company and make sure she was warm, but I was just wondering what "morph" she is. Her mother is a Seal Point Siamese. She has a light tan spot the same color as her head in the middle of her back as well, but the rest of her body is that light color. She also has fairly dark red eyes but due to the bad quality of the pictures, its hard to tell. Thanks!

~Alli

Thanks

Re: What kind of rat is this?

How old is she? She could be a mismarked beige bareback or she could still be a siamese going through a molt. Smeezers start out colored and then kind of molt out the color from their bodies till they are left with their points.

If these are pet rats, a really good forum is http://www.goosemoose.com/component/...118/forum,rat/.
    There is a discussion going on there right now about a rat that everyone though was a mismarked beige variberk but after it molted, turned out to be a lovely siamese. (that is a PET forum only, do not mention the word 'feeder' if you post anything)

And congrats! She's adorable.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cobweb2000 For This Useful Post:

aaramire (03-24-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cobweb2000 View Post
    How old is she? She could be a mismarked beige bareback or she could still be a siamese going through a molt. Smeezers start out colored and then kind of molt out the color from their bodies till they are left with their points.

If these are pet rats, a really good forum is http://www.goosemoose.com/component/...118/forum,rat/.
    There is a discussion going on there right now about a rat that everyone though was a mismarked beige variberk but after it molted, turned out to be a lovely siamese. (that is a PET forum only, do not mention the word 'feeder' if you post anything)

And congrats! She's adorable.
    She is young, my best guess is about 4 weeks. I didnt realize that Siamese molted out, thats very interesting. I will have to keep my eye on her and see! Yes both of my girls are pets Thanks for the great info I will check them out!
    ~Alli

Thanks

She is a siamese bareback with a head spot. I have a strong majority of siamese in my colony, can't really ID them wrong!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to littleindiangirl For This Useful Post:

aaramire (03-24-2009)

Thanks

I knew you would come through for me Connie!! Is she still considered a bareback even if shes got that spot of brown on her back? I wasnt able to get pics of it. Thanks
    ~Alli

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aaramire View Post
    I knew you would come through for me Connie!! Is she still considered a bareback even if shes got that spot of brown on her back? I wasnt able to get pics of it. Thanks
    To be honest, I still consider them bare backs, even though it may be technically considered a mismarked hooded or something or other. Either way, bareback, hooded, they are just modifiers of the hooded gene.

Ya know after looking at the last pic... it looks like she is more capped than anything. Barebacks color goes as far back as the arm pits, but if her's stops at the neck, then I have to change it to her being a capped siamese.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    To be honest, I still consider them bare backs, even though it may be technically considered a mismarked hooded or something or other. Either way, bareback, hooded, they are just modifiers of the hooded gene.

Ya know after looking at the last pic... it looks like she is more capped than anything. Barebacks color goes as far back as the arm pits, but if her's stops at the neck, then I have to change it to her being a capped siamese.
    Yeah the color is just on her head and stops at the neck, then a little circle of color in the middle of her back, and a little color on the tail as well.
    ~Alli

Thanks

It's a wild rat that has rabies. your just going to have to send her over to be with my crew LOL! She's cute!
    Too many pets to list!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rebeccabecca For This Useful Post:

aaramire (04-12-2009)