Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,563

0 members and 2,563 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

my new cage is almost done...

well I finally got my cage for the most part done, its 3'x2'x16"... still contemplating what I'm going to use for the vents, I have three 2.5" vent holes so far thinking of putting three more on the other side. I want to make it look clean so I'm still looking for some sort of vent to insert in the holes. I'm planning on using flexxwatt / thermostat for heating but I'm unsure of how to place it in the cage, I imagine it being put on top of the wood cant be good, everything Ive read says it needs ventilation. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, its not the best but considering its only the second time ever ever worked with wood I don't think it turned out bad so far.

The cage is coated in 2 coats of walnut polyshade and 3 coats of polyurethane gloss. Also what silicone do I use? I cant find anything that says non-toxic!!
    Last edited by dr del; 03-23-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks

Re: my new cage is almost done...

beautiful job!! Isn't it 100% silicone that you're supposed to be able to use? Don't quote, search I know that other builders have listed the silicone they used. Well, quick search brings up aquarium silicone. Don't know if that's the only one or not though.
    Last edited by grammie; 03-23-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks

Those vent holes look like you cut them with a standard hole saw drill bit...am i correct? heres an idea that I used many moons ago, when i built this gigantic burm, boa, whatever the hell else i could fit in there...go to radio shack....get some speaker covers..they sell 4"-12" metal circles with bunch of holes in them, the type you see on the ceiling. OR they also sell plastic square(with rounded corners) that are quite nice looking and they dont cost much at all...with the plastic you can mount the bracket to the wood, then snap the plastic cover on to it....they work quite well..
    -George Blake
    OuijaBoid - Raleigh, NC

Thanks

yep it was a 2.5" hole saw. ll be stopping by radio shack tomorrow to see what i can dig up. then just need to seal it and install the light and the flexwatt and ill be good to go. BTW thanks a ton.

Thanks

Ok ive searched and searched on the topic of which silicone to use. I've come to the conclusion the only thing i KNOW for sure isn't harmful to my BP is aquarium sealant. Thus the problem, I want white. I cant seem to find any brand names that are non-toxic. I've seen people mention GE Silicone II and DAP Kitchen and Bath, but nothing on their site says non-toxic. The DAP brand does say low VOC though and is suitable for incidental food exposure.

The second thing five came across is using Flexwatt inside the cage, I've read that with it covered with a piece of glass or the sorts you wont be able to achieve the proper temperature gradient which is something i would like to stay away from. Any insight to this? I was planning on using 12" of flexwat with glass over top resting on 1/4" standoffs to allow air circulation under the flexwatt with some ventilation holes and a reflective backing to allow most of the heat to reflect into the cage.

Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks

Regular silicon will be just fine. Just let it fully cure. I've used it with no ill effects. Plus if you get the kind that is has the germicide in it, it will help prevent bacteria and what not growing on it.

As for flexwatt, its fine to use in the cage, you should be able to get a good gradient with it. If you don't with one piece, then put two pieces in, and have them regulated by two different t-stats. One for warm and one for cool. If you do use flexwatt, just make sure that its 100% sealed from moisture. I seal the connections with silicone, then cover the entire piece with acrylic/plexiglass/glass and seal the edges with silicone so that if water/urates get on it, you don't risk electrocution.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

I only use HOT GLUE to seal my cages. it holds well and dries instantly with no smell and or toxins.