Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,059

0 members and 2,059 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    Thanks

Thinking about breeding?

Ok so my reptile collection has grown alot over the past two years and Im not expecting it to slow down at all. Im spending hundreds of dollars a month buying feeders and I have thought about breeding for a while now. BUt I do have some questions?????

1. If I set up a building outside would I be able to put the racks in there and the rats breed?

Reason being having alot of rats can not smell good also I am EXTREMELY allergic to rats! My wife would be the main one rasing the rats by the way.

My main concern is me putting all the time effort and money into this and the rats not breeding. I have thought about just sticking with wholesale and not worry about the hassle of having to take care of a rat colony but the bill is gettting bigger each month and also im rasing snakes to breed and so that means babys mouths to feed.

2. Do freedom breeder or ars rat racks work good? I cant build a birdhouse so I have to buy everything lol.

Thanks for any help!
    Danny

Thanks

Re: Thinking about breeding?

As long as temps are no lower than 60, and no higher than 85 or so, an outdoor building would be fine. One thing to take precautions against is wild animals getting into your colony. Traps are an easy way to keep an eye on this, and try to make the building animal-proof.

Don't worry about them not breeding. Get your stock from someone you trust, not just a petstore if at all possible.

I don't have any experience with commercial racks, but I am sure any of them would work excellently, they are just not worth the money in my opinion. I really suggest you build your own, just take your time, measure twice and cut once. Follow the DIY's online to the t, and I don't think you will have any problems. We use this rack for breeding and birthing http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/rat_rack/ratrack.shtml, but as our collection expands we will be building this for a birthing rack. http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/rat...ing_rack.shtml

They do take a lot of time, so if wholesale is working out for you, maybe it would be better to stick with it. We really like having the rats as pets as well as feeders, and it is very inconvenient for us to get, let alone pay for local feeders. Our collection isnt big enough, and the feeder size is too varied to really make f/t bulk viable.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks

I've bred rats (both regular ones and ASF's) for awhile now. There are days I think about tossing the whole collection on f/t just because of the workload of the rodents but then I compare monthly costs and most importantly, losing my control on the quality of the feeders, and I go back to cleaning rat cages.

Best thing, do not start out if you can avoid it with pet store rats. If you do have to do that, be VERY picky about what pet store you buy them from. Try to buy them on different weeks or from different stores to get a broader genetic base. Avoid high white rats so you don't end up with megacolon issues in the colony. I have a lot of high whites but they've been bred here for generations so I know what I'm working with.

Pick rats like you'd pick a healthy puppy or kitten. Clean eyes, ears, nose, butt - that sort of thing. Hair should be sleek and smooth to the body, not fluffed up all the time. No scabs on feet. No red discharge from eyes or nose. No fleas or other nastiest in the coat including scabs (often from either overcrowding and fighting or from a protein reaction from being fed the wrong food).

You're feeding some big snakes. I'd also be breeding meat rabbits.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I am already in the process of breeding rabbits lol. But we have two sources here for rabbits and I get those alot cheaper then i do my rats. I want to breed but at the same time I dont want to lol

Thanks

Raising rats is work x time, smell, and frustration.

It does make it worthwhile money wise. On average, each rat I produce as a feeder costs me .43 cents.

But, on the other hand I have to agree completely with Jo. If you can, buy from a someone with a good rat colony. Avoid high white rats, and make sure they are healthy, young (just weaned is preferrable), and free of parasites.

Rats don't do well with high temps. I have a significant slowing down in production during the summer. Here it gets well into high 80's 90's, and there is the risk of heat stroke/ exposure. When it gets that hot, I make sure I have a high velocity fan running on the rats, sometimes I will mist them down if it's really hot.

Rats prefer to be kept in temps that you and I like. Between 65-75 if possible. They can tolerate lower temps, but be careful about high temps. It's easy to lose rats that way.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

I birth somewhere between 150 and 250 rats a month. Now that small potatoes compared to others I realize. However, I can tell ya the key to rat breeding is being clean. Changing the soiled bedding and keeping fresh water and fresh food, ventilation and air circulation is a major part. Not only does it help keep them cool but it helps them get fresh air and in turn you don't get that stale pee smell you get sometimes with rats.

If they are kept in a rack for any length of time hair, dust, dander, little food bit's will start to just collect everywhere, Shop vac's are a huge help to keeping the tracks of the rack clean and free for debris. This also lends to healthy rats as they aren't living in a dust caked environment.

I house my rats in home made racks, with 90 breeders per rack. When I hear people talk about the "SMELL"...a couple of things enter my mind that can help with that
    1: your ventilation and air circulation isn't right (keep the air moving over the rack)
    2: your not using enough bedding to absorb 7 days of rat pee. (they tromp it down, nest in it ect. In a 7" tub I give at least 4-5" of pine shavings)
    3: you have to many in a tub (you can house 8 small rats or 4 jumbos but not both)

Now granted on cleaning day there is a slight smell, is it over powering? No.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThyTempest View Post
    As long as temps are no lower than 60, and no higher than 85 or so, an outdoor building would be fine.
    I breed my rats in my garage, and it gets much colder and hotter than 60 and 85. I do run a heater when it gets below freezing, and open the garage door when it gets hot out. They breed and produce all year for me.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Raising rodents is a lot of work, but IMO its worth it. You know what quality feeder your pets are getting.

I have a barn outside that I insulated and put a small space heater in there, I have the temp set to 62F and it stays a steady temp in there and the rats are producing great!