Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,045

2 members and 3,043 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,551
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pet Store Hater

Thanks

Pet Store Hater

Hey guys,

I'm gonna rant a little bit.

I go to a place called Char's Reptile Store (Houstonians, don't EVER go there) to maybe pick up some cypress mulch (I obviously decided not to).

First thing I spot is a few Ball Pythons in cages with half logs... lovely, they're all in the middle of the enclosure, not hiding.

Next I come across a beautiful JCP. The animal is super skinny and has some stuck shed. The worst part is, the back end of the snake is swollen and red, and still has shed on it. It looks like a bad infection along with scale rot.

I walk by a Leucistic Texas Rat snake which is chilling in his water bowl. Oh, you guessed it, there's a nice little tick on him. I mention it to the store owner, who says "That's not a tick. We don't have mites or ticks in our place. It's even offensive that you ask."

I assure them that it is a tick, but no, it's just a bug in the substrate (liar liar pants on fire).

Next she starts telling me that aspen is bad for snakes, and then goes on to tell me that racks are horrible.

For those of you that have racks, you guys are "puppy-mill breeders", according the the store owner and the "herp community."

I mention all of you that successfully keep your snakes in racks, along with Brian Barczyk, BHB.

But no, she's right, I'm wrong. Racks are bad.

She's right because her snakes have horrible enclosures (including burned flexwatt), ticks, nasty infections, poop, and stuck sheds. Brian Barczyk is wrong because he has breeding, feeding, and shedding snakes in CLEAN enclosures.

I hate pet stores.

Join me?
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

Re: Pet Store Hater

bump.

Would contacting the SPCA have any effect? That JCP seemed to be a in a pretty bad state.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

Animal Planet has a Houston edition of "Animal Cops". There is someone there that checks on these things in the Houston area but I don't know the name of the agency.
    Do not resuscitate

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dsirkle For This Useful Post:

DutchHerp (03-21-2009)

Thanks

I deal with a place here in Mo. called Brothers Pets. They are basically the same way. I have contacted every agency I could and everyone blows it off and says "not our jurisdiction" I am really sick of it and nothing I can do. But hey if you want mite infested burms at 40 bucks with a 10 gallon tank, they are a great place to go. Or if you want a dead tarantula laying in its water bowl dead and covered in maggots, they are awesome. Hey and according to them you can house a corn, a ball, and a boa all in the same cage...because they are.

4.9 Balls, 6.7 Corns, 1.1 Black Milk Snakes, 0.0.1 Sand boa, 0.1 BCI, 2.0 Dogs, 1.0 Child, 0.0.? Fish

Thanks

I know how you feel. We have a pet store here in town (I even hate giving them the credit to be called a "pet" store) that has a sign outside. Occasionally when it says "ball pythons $25" I soooooo want to run over and stick another sign beside his.....

"get em quick before they die!"
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Is it legal to put up a sign next to the store saying something of the lines of

"Don't buy from these guys!" ?
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

Thanks

Alright I contacted the SPCA... they should check up on them within 48 hrs. I'll keep you guys updated.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

Thanks

How did it go, Matt? Any news?
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Is it legal to put up a sign next to the store saying something of the lines of

"Don't buy from these guys!" ?
    Probably. It would either be on their property or property owned by the city so likely you couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Alright I contacted the SPCA... they should check up on them within 48 hrs. I'll keep you guys updated.
    Follow-up and make sure they did go. Please let us know how it all turned out.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Well... I got a call from the Pasadena police department, but they claimed they never contacted me. I'll contact the SPCA later and ask 'em how it went.

I'll keep you guys updated.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast