Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,150

3 members and 3,147 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

HELP - Is it possible to convert from ASF back to normal rats?

Here's the deal guys, I need your opinion and help. I have recently purchased a female ball python that will apparently only eat ASF rats and mice. My question is, is there any possible way that I can convert her back to feeding on normal rats? I heard it's extremely hard and some say it's not possible at all. I need everyone's help and opinion on this issue. Any help will much greatly appreciated

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: HELP - Is it possible to convert from ASF back to normal rats?

I do not have personal experience, but I've heard a lot of people say their BPs will switch back & forth between ASFs & regular rats, or that they got a stubborn eater started on ASFs and then switched to regular rats. So it doesn't sound anything close to impossible.

I also believe that many finicky feeder issues can be resolved with a little "tough love". So you might try only offering regular rats for a while. If she takes it, great. If not, she doesn't eat until you offer again the next week. Probably she'll get hungry enough to eat it pretty soon. I would only try this if you are sure everything is spot on with your husbandry and the snake is healthy.
    Casey

Thanks

Have you even tried yet? On your normal feeding day offer her a similarly sized rat and see what happens. If that doesn't work then try again the next week and pre-scent the rat with mouse or ASF bedding. Keep trying for 3 or 4 weeks, she should be good for that time if she doesn't eat(provided she's a good weight now). Failing that, what is the big deal on just keeping her on ASFs? If you feed f/t you can just order a bunch online and keep her on the ASFs.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottyDsntKnow For This Useful Post:

muddoc (03-20-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

I was going to give the simple answer. Yes. However, Scotty gave a very informative response, and one that I thing will bring the desired results.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

It really depends on the individual personality of the snake, I've got some that will eat whatever I put in front of them and some that are more finicky. All you can do is try. ScottyDsntKnow gave some good tips on trying to switch. Also you can try waving an ASF in front of her face and then before she can strike swap it out for a regular rat. Time of day also seems to make a difference, I've had more luck getting reluctant feeders to feed in the evenings rather then in the mornings.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

BPs have a reputation for being picky eaters, but there are plenty that are not. I hesitate to say the majority are good eaters that can readily switch between live and f/t and rats and asfs and mice all the time, but many are perfectly willing to do so. Might as well give it a shot.

Thanks

Alright sounds like it's legit advice. I'm going to wait a week and let them two alone since I just traded my albino boa for them. Cross fingers that they will eat next week for me. Just hard to get use to because my baby boa is a monster. Chases after her rats, my old ball pythons were picky also.
    -Tinson

Thanks

Yeah guys, it was feeding day for me today! I tried feeding the girl that was on ASF rats with a normal one, no luck. After thawing that rat it was bleeding too, still didn't trigger her feeding response, I guess I'll try agian next week. She is in shed, I'm thinking that might have impacted the result a little bit. But on the other hand my spider is a beast! He ate one rat down, the other rat that was for my pastel, he sprung out of his hide and took that one too! Reason why was the one for my spider was a tad small which I thought wouldn't harm to give him another one.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Gosh it seems like she's been in shed forever. I want to see a pic when she's done!

One refusal when she is in shed is not really a bad sign. I guess there is even a possibility that having exposed her to the regular rats will make her more likely to accept it next time.

Spiders do have a reputation of being good feeders.
    Casey