Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,475

3 members and 3,472 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Reptile Thermostat Question

Would I need two thermostats, because i would need to heat my cold side to 80ish because my room is only 72 and then i know i would need one for the hot side to get it to 90ish, but would i need one for the cold side or can i just use one had set 2 different temps?? How does that work, because i want to get the herpstat II but if i can get away with one insted of two that would be nice!!! ( they are soooo pricy) i just bought two Repti-Temp 500R and waiting to hook them up because i still have flex tape coming. So do i really need 2 .
    0.1 Normal BP

Thanks

Re: Reptile Thermostat Question

I'm thinking of experimenting with one and insulating one side somehow. I'll let you know how it works if you don't beat me to it.
    Evan
    0.0.1 Sinaloan Milk Snake (Vegas)
    0.0.1 Colombian Boa Constrictor (Ticuna)
    Feel free to correct me on my grammar.

Thanks

Having my hot side at 92 makes my cold side 81-84 depending on room temp. But I will say that having two thermostats is good in the slight case that one fails you have a backup and your nice pets shouldn't even get burned.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    Would I need two thermostats, because i would need to heat my cold side to 80ish because my room is only 72 and then i know i would need one for the hot side to get it to 90ish, but would i need one for the cold side or can i just use one had set 2 different temps?? How does that work, because i want to get the herpstat II but if i can get away with one insted of two that would be nice!!! ( they are soooo pricy) i just bought two Repti-Temp 500R and waiting to hook them up because i still have flex tape coming. So do i really need 2 .
    I would need to know more about your set up to give you an individualized recommendation.

from my experiences, generally if you are using a fish tank 2 will definately help. If you are using tubs you can get away with one by adding some insulation and putting the ventilation holes in the proper location, but you may have to play with it and I would lean more in the direction of a heating element that covers 40% to 50% of the bottom of the tub rather than the standard 1/3 of the bottom of the tub.

Thanks

I wouldn't waste the money, I mean its deff nice to have another one, but really not important. I have 2 BP's on the same thermostat, keeping the hot end at like 87-92 at all times. I dont know how cold your house is, but as long as you can keep the room there in at like 75, your golden. The ambient temp is not that critical IMO. I haven't been doing this that long, but have experimented a lot with this, and have not had ONE single problem keeping the ambient temps in the 70's. Just make sure there in the mid to upper 70's and your good.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dsmalex97 For This Useful Post:

southb (03-16-2009)

Thanks

Please do not post the same thread in multiple forums. Just choose the one that you think it fits best in and post it there.

I'll just repost my response here to merge the two...

Well it's going to be hard to tell if you need two. It will depend on where in your room you cage is kept, how much sun it gets and a multitude of other factors. In short, you just won't know if you'll need two thermostats until you set up your warm side and measure temps. You may not need a second one if you can insulate your cage. As for those Repti Temp 500R, is that the thermometer or thermostat? I wouldn't recommend either. A simple accurite indoor/outdoor thermometer is cheaper, and I definitely would use one of their thermostats. I prefer the more expensive HerpStat, Helix or even the Ranco.

I'd say set up the enclosure with one thermostat and see if you can manage the temps without a second one. If you can't, then I'd go for the second one.

I hope that is some help.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

More about my setup... i have a 40 gallon breeder tank, i am going to put a heat pad on 2/3 of the cage and set it to 80ish, and another one on 1/3 of the cage and set it to 90ish. i have two termometers, one on both sides, and i will tape the probes to the bottom on the tank dirctly on the heat tape, i have a humidity gauge that reads 26 but i am getting eco earth and forest bedding and mixing it together to raise the humidity, i also have a 75 watt basking bulb... i have to have the cold side heated because by room is on an outside wall and the temp in my room is 72, So is this good???

As for those Repti Temp 500R, is that the thermometer or thermostat? I wouldn't recommend either. A simple accurite indoor/outdoor thermometer is cheaper, and I definitely would use one of their thermostats. I prefer the more expensive HerpStat, Helix or even the Ranco.
    My thermostat has two plugins on it but it will have the same temp set on both heat pads, do you know what im saying???

and with the herpstats and helixs, can you set two different temps???
    0.1 Normal BP

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

It sounds as though your heatpads are going to be different sizes (and therefore probably wattages ) so no they would be unlikely to be the same temps when connected straight to the same thermostat. That could make it difficult to get things right however.

You could, however, connect the cooler side heatmat through a rheostat and then connected to the thermostat. It will take a fair bit of tweaking and adjusting then waiting to see how it works out before you could be happy it was set up right though.

I would second tigerlilly's suggestion of insulating the tank first to see how much difference that makes.

You can get herpstats that can control different heaters to different temperatures if you can afford them. I don't know if they make helix's that do the same I'm afraid.

I am always a little squeamish about having the entire bottom of any enclosure covered with a heating element just in case anything goes wrong - perhaps anyone else could chime in on this?

Oh and definately don't tape anything inside the tank unless you are using low tack painters tape - the risk of injury if the snake gets stuck to regular tape just isn't worth the small amount of effort needed to find another method.

You would be better leaving the probes mobile rather than fixing them as you can then check the temps inside the hides on top of the substrate as well without having to buy anything else or tear up the setup.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (03-16-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I also have a heat gun that i will use to get temps in the hides. and i was going to tape the probes to the outside of the tank. not in side of the tank. and the heat pads are heatwatt flex tape so they would have the same watts jsut different sizes
    0.1 Normal BP

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Ah, sorry I misread that, The probe you tape to the heatpad outside of the tank is the thermostat probe - there is no benefit in having thermometer probes there as they would only be second guessing the thermostat probe accuracy.

The thermostat reading isn't really all that critical as long as it holds steady and creates the right temperatures inside the tank where the animal is.

Keep the thermometer probes free and move them around inside the tank to make sure everything is corrct and turn the thermostat up or down until it is - if the thermostat has to be set to 98f to get the temps in the warm side to 93f then it really doesn't matter at all.

Just remember to measure the temp under the substrate too to make sure it doesn't get to a dangerous level and adjust the dept/ type of substrate until it is fixed if it does.

Also I have to correct your wattage point on the flexwatt - they are the same wattage per foot. So if one is longer or shorter then it has a different total wattage as a heater.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast