Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,405

5 members and 2,400 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My wc gravid

Thanks

My wc gravid

i would be very appreciative of helpful answers, please no import bashing. thank you! so i bought a supposed "wc gravid" and she had what i thought to be a pre lay shed 38 days ago, now i see her belly is all pink when i come home today...now my question is if she sheds again is she not gravid?? or do they get a pink belly before laying eggs? Id be really ticked if she ends up not being pregnant, since i asked the guy are they guaranteed to be gravid and he said yes guaranteed to be gravid but no guarantee on the amount of eggs....so did he create a loophole for himself by adding the no guarantee in the amount of eggs so could he be like it was gravid...with 0 eggs...or something. Man this was only supposed to be a one sentence thing...

Thanks

Re: My wc gravid

All I can say is that if its gravid with 0 eggs, its not gravid. 1 egg, yes. 0 eggs, no.

Steve

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hoo-t For This Useful Post:

azpythons (03-16-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoo-t View Post
    All I can say is that if its gravid with 0 eggs, its not gravid. 1 egg, yes. 0 eggs, no.

Steve
    thats what i was thinking. but i know these days you can get away with a lot of stuff with the right word choice. i think im just growing too impatient.

Thanks

Well since there's no "pregnancy" test for snakes that I know of it's basically an educated guess. He may have palpitated and felt eggs, he may have ultrasounded the snake (not likely but some big guys do have a machine) but nobody can guarantee a good egg outcome as far as I am concerned. She may well lay nothing but slugs or she may lay a whole clutch of perfect eggs. When you buy a gravid WC it makes the dice roll of breeding all that more chancey.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Well since there's no "pregnancy" test for snakes that I know of it's basically an educated guess. He may have palpitated and felt eggs, he may have ultrasounded the snake (not likely but some big guys do have a machine) but nobody can guarantee a good egg outcome as far as I am concerned. She may well lay nothing but slugs or she may lay a whole clutch of perfect eggs. When you buy a gravid WC it makes the dice roll of breeding all that more chancey.
    yes i understand that but i have a email where he says i guarantee theyll be gravid...so if she ends up not being gravid, i could get my money back and keep my wonderful snake? maybe get him to send me few nice hatchlings of what they kept??

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azpythons View Post
    yes i understand that but i have a email where he says i guarantee theyll be gravid...so if she ends up not being gravid, i could get my money back and keep my wonderful snake? maybe get him to send me few nice hatchlings of what they kept??
    I seriously doubt you are going to get your money back and keep the snake if she's not gravid. Sounds like this deal wasn't made in full good faith if you're looking for loopholes already. But, since this isn't the BOI, I won't go any further down that road.

Chances of her dropping all slugs is something to concider. WC gravid females go through a lot of stress in a short breeding season. Not the optimal environment for egg production.

If your real desire is for hatchlings, why not just buy a few bags of CH babies?
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

frankykeno (03-16-2009),ThyTempest (03-16-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azpythons View Post
    Seriously, are you interested in raising healthy hatchlings or just getting the most you can get for nothing? What exactly did this seller guarantee? What exactly did this seller specify if the snake turns out to not be gravid? Not what you assume or think you might get out of him....exactly what his guarantee said. Feel free to post a copy of this email guarantee if you like with personal information blacked out.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

i wouldn't expect much from these clutches. i have seen these WC clutches and they just aren't good. the most of the eggs are bad. due to the stress of being shipped from africa and then being shipped to you, the eggs haven't really had a good place to develop inside of the females body.

don't get your hopes up on this! you may only get one good egg out of her. but one is better than none!

good luck!

Thanks

Having ended up with a couple of these females after they've laid their clutches I really feel I have to say something on that subject (not bashing, just a comment really).

Az I hope you do have experience with getting a WC adult properly settled into captivity. WC adults, especially ones that come in gravid, can be highly stressed snakes. They can and will go on extremely long hunger strikes, can often have parasite loads both externally and internally and often are not in great physical shape due to shipping, overhandling and whatever rigors of living wild they survived prior to becoming gravid.

I hope you are ready for what may come for this female. She's not just a way to eggs. She needs and deserves a lot of work to allow her to live and thrive in captivity after she lays that clutch. Some do well, many do not and I've personally seen the results of the ones that don't do well and aren't made a priority in a collection.
    ~~Joanna~~

12. The Following User Says Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (03-16-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

She may give you eggs yet, but if she does not lay, then you could RETURN THE SNAKE FOR A REFUND, according to the guarentee you quoted. The snake must have egg(s) in order to qualify as gravid, so if she does not at least lay one slug.. then you got a non-gravid, which means you could get your money back BY RETURNING THE SNAKE.

I'm not sure why you feel you would be entitled to keep the snake, get your money back, and get some of his hatchlings?
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (03-16-2009)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast