Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,446

1 members and 3,445 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Feeding while shedding? (plus a tub question)

Hey all. My ball is going through his first shed with me. I noticed today after feeding that his eyes were getting milky blue. I assume 5 days from now he will be around the "clearing up" phase of the process and I was wondering whether it's okay to feed at this time, or if I should wait until the shed is complete.

Also, I decided to move him into a tub (I'll definitely wait until the shed is complete though) and had a question about the setup:

Thermostat probe... in between the UTH and the plastic (the adhesive layer), or taped to the exterior of the pad? I have another probe inside to place against the inner plastic to measure that temperature. Also, for shedding, should I place something inside like a piece of driftwood so that he can rub against it, or is it enough to just rub against the plastic on the edges? Finally, I have that model 1755 sterilite 32qt tub and when the latches are engaged, it's still far too easy to lift up the edges of the tub. Any suggestions on how to prevent escapes through these sides?

Thanks!!!

Thanks

Re: Feeding while shedding? (plus a tub question)

I don't know much about the tubs, as i have yet to get one. But as far as the shed goes, i would offer him the food but i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't take it. That's just me though, there are loads more better informed than me, i'm just telling you what i did and worked for me and my ball.

Thanks

soem will eat and some won't eat during shed, offer like said just don't get upset if the bp turns it nose up at the food while shedding . as for the tub I am not sure as to the type od tub I use 34 -40 quart tubs and hte side seem to be liftable if the snake really wants to get out. I say if you got the room about the tub ( if you are using a rack) either slide a 2x4 along the top to hel phold down the lids or if a single tub a red brick should work. not the best looknig thingk but I know some people get covers for bricks to make look nicer. I need ot make an opening for the 2x4 for my tubs cause I do have one that tries ot get out ever so often and it a pain playing hid and seek with young corns. (won't be a problem once she get larger and the lid opennig too small.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Thanks

I have the same exact tub for my adult male, and I know what you mean about it being easy to lift up on the sides!

I went to home depot and got these little silver and green clamps for about .40 cents each and clamped the lid to the tub in the middle of the sides.

They look like the clamps you attach to your battery to jump start your car but really tiny. Can't be more than an inch long. So far they've worked perfectly and he hasn't escaped!

I will have to agree that I offer my BPs food while in shed, some will take it some won't. No big deal if they don't. I am however very careful to watch them, because I'm afraid they're more likely to get bit during this time. I figure with their eyes being cloudy they probably can't see the rodent as well and with the high likelyhood of them being disinterested... It just seems dangerous to me... So if you drop a live food item into the tank and let it run around, I would keep an extra sharp eye on it during a shed. If you hold the food with hemostats or if it's frozen/thawed then there should be nothing at all to worry about.

Good luck!

Dizzy (Is never online anymore )

BPs:
    0.1 pinstripe (Brody)
    1.0 normal (Rogue)
    1.0 pastel (Valo)
    0.2 het albino (Dali & Vee Vee)
    1.1 het orange ghost (Max & Brook)
    0.4 poss. het pied (Polly, Nic, Marla & Fertility)

0.0.1 albino pacman frog
    0.0.4 fire bellied toads

1.0 bearded dragon (Bart)

0.1 the best cat in the world (Salem)
    2.0 kittens (Donny & Walter)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dizzy For This Useful Post:

cshouston (03-15-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    I have the same exact tub for my adult male, and I know what you mean about it being easy to lift up on the sides!

I went to home depot and got these little silver and green clamps for about .40 cents each and clamped the lid to the tub in the middle of the sides.

They look like the clamps you attach to your battery to jump start your car but really tiny. Can't be more than an inch long. So far they've worked perfectly and he hasn't escaped!

I will have to agree that I offer my BPs food while in shed, some will take it some won't. No big deal if they don't. I am however very careful to watch them, because I'm afraid they're more likely to get bit during this time. I figure with their eyes being cloudy they probably can't see the rodent as well and with the high likelyhood of them being disinterested... It just seems dangerous to me... So if you drop a live food item into the tank and let it run around, I would keep an extra sharp eye on it during a shed. If you hold the food with hemostats or if it's frozen/thawed then there should be nothing at all to worry about.

Good luck!
    Awesome, thanks. I'll pick some of those up tomorrow! He eats f/t, so no worries, I'll definitely offer him the prey in five days though and see what happens.

Thanks

To keep the tub secure, cage ties/locks work well, but a cheaper alternative is a nice bungie cord or just something heavy on top.

As for the probe placement, I am not sure on a stand alone tub. On most rack systems you place the probe directly on the flexwatt (the side that would touch the tub), but I don't think making a lump somewhere inbetween the tub and the UTH is a good idea, so maybe place it on the exterior side of the flexwatt. Placement does not matter a whole lot as long as the user accounts for it---ie , make sure you check the actual temp IN the tub.

Also, if you have the tub all set, I think you should move him now. humidity will keep up better, and you will have a lower risk for a bad shed. I don't think a driftwood peice or something rough is really necessary, but not a bad idea. I originally offered my bp a driftwood log in my attempts to keep her tub at least semi-natural looking, and have since abandoned it for the extra cleaning requirements. She does fine just rubbing on the aspen and the edges of her hides.

Now to the big question. Feeding. If you don't know whether or not your snake is an "I'll eat through the shed cycle" snake, then I would offer food. If they take it, great, do it again next time. If not, keep trying through a couple more shed cycle feedings and if she never takes, discontinue offering food you know she will refuse. This is just my rule of thumb and there is nothing wrong with always offering during shed or never offering during a shed, just my preference.

Edit: My ball python is already a picky eater, so I never offer food during shed anymore. Also, if the eyes are still really opaque, it may be best to wait until they clear to feed, or just wait until the next feeding day. Our boas will eat no matter what, our corns will not eat while their eyes are cloudy, and our bp just came off a fast that started in October.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThyTempest For This Useful Post:

cshouston (03-15-2009)