Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,595

1 members and 1,594 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Can humidity be too high?

My 55 is extremely humid. I'm not doing anything to make it that way but the sides are getting a bit foggy. Can high humidity cause any ill effects on the snake? He seems to be loving it (all over the tank)Picking up a digital within a day or two, though.

Thanks

Re: Can humidity be too high?

yes it can cause scale rot, and infections... bacteria festers in hot humid environments.
    1.0 Ball Python: Monty
    0.1 Red Tail boa: Dixie
    0.1 Tree Boa: Carmen

Thanks

Yep especially if it's causing dripping from a lid or down the sides of the enclosure. Wet bedding equals nasty stuff.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

The bedding isn't wet, just very warm. Would it be okay to wipe down the sides and remove the lid for a bit (snake under supervision, of course!)? Temp outside of tank is the same as inside. No prob there.

Also, are these reliable as they are the only ones the pet stores around here carry?
    http://www.petco.com/product/8193/PE...Combo-Pak.aspx

Thanks

Nope they aren't. Before any of us get into big explanations and loads of typing how about you outline the specs of your enclosure. Things like...

- type of enclosure
    - dimensions
    - type of substrate
    - method of heating
    - placement in room
    - temps and humidity of the room it's in (just generally is it hot, humid, whatever)

That will help us better help you and your snake.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

wipe down the condensation and see what the humidity is at with your digital guage.

should be about 65% tops while not in shed and at most 75% in shed
    1.0 Ball Python: Monty
    0.1 Red Tail boa: Dixie
    0.1 Tree Boa: Carmen

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

we need a complete breakdown of your setup. what you are explaining simply doesn't make any sense.

For starters, when you say the substrate is very warm, that is ALARMING. you are 98 degrees. your snake is not supposed to be exposed to anything warmer then 94 degrees. if something is very warm to you, you are litterally cooking your snake.

please explain every last detail of your setup before the poor snake is dead.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

-Glass Aquarium
    -Not sure. 55 Gallons
    -Reptibark (high humidity substrate). I want to stick with this as I've tried Aspen and it was so dry. I'd rather need to bring my humidity down than up.
    -Currently the temp at substrate level is 85 (raised it 5). Thanks to you you all, I've learned an UTH is in order. Looked it up and they are 20 bucks. Not sure how to control them as I know you have to attach something else to lower their temps? Help here?
    -Out of the way area in my bedroom. Barely any sunlight. Overhead fish tank light for visibility only during the day.
    -Room heat is dry but in the tank it's a different story. Temps are the same in and out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    we need a complete breakdown of your setup. what you are explaining simply doesn't make any sense.

For starters, when you say the substrate is very warm, that is ALARMING. you are 98 degrees. your snake is not supposed to be exposed to anything warmer then 94 degrees. if something is very warm to you, you are litterally cooking your snake.

please explain every last detail of your setup before the poor snake is dead.
    Whoa, there! Calm down. Snake's body feels nice and cool and my substrate is 85.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by demonicchild View Post
    -Glass Aquarium
    -Not sure. 55 Gallons
    -Reptibark (high humidity substrate). I want to stick with this as I've tried Aspen and it was so dry. I'd rather need to bring my humidity down than up.
    -Currently the temp at substrate level is 85 (raised it 5). Thanks to you you all, I've learned an UTH is in order. Looked it up and they are 20 bucks. Not sure how to control them as I know you have to attach something else to lower their temps? Help here?
    -Out of the way area in my bedroom. Barely any sunlight. Overhead fish tank light for visibility only during the day.
    -Room heat is dry but in the tank it's a different story. Temps are the same in and out.
    Okay 55 gallon tank - what type of lid? How much ventilation/air exchange is happening?

You are actually easier to bring up humidity then try to lower it. I don't use that substrate but is it "wet" to your touch?

Check out www.reptilebasics.com for heating ideas for a tank of that size. You'll need a tstat or a rheostat to control your heat source. There's a sticky on this site about lamp dimmer rheostats that will do in a pinch (but NOT as good as a proper tstat).

If the room is dry and you have an overhead light on there should be no way you have dripping condensation in your tank (especially with a mesh lid if that's what you have). How wet is that bedding?

Quote Originally Posted by demonicchild View Post
    Whoa, there! Calm down. Snake's body feels nice and cool and my substrate is 85.
    Mike had a right to ask, I know I was going to. The way you described it sounded like it was "very warm" to your touch which would make it a lot more than the right range for your snake.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast