Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,177

1 members and 3,176 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Wanting to get a BCI pretty soon

I'm getting into a much larger place soon and I want to get a larger snake to display and also one that is more interactive than a BP. Don't get me wrong, I love BPs and am for sure getting at least 3-4 morphs soon too but as a pet I hear BCIs are much better since they don't sit in their hides all day. What I would like to do is get a nice inexpensive female that is het for something(probably albino) in case I ever DO want to breed them but she'll be a pet first and foremost.

I've read the care sheets, housing requirements and all that and am confident I won't have any problems caring for one and I definitely want to raise one up from a hatchling. I love the way BCIs look and if everything I keep hearing is true I'm sure I'd enjoy having one immensly. I just want to make sure I'm not looking at this through rose colored glasses or anything. Plus it would be really cool when someone comes over to pull a 9 foot girl out of her tank and be like "here's my little girl!". Would not want a 17 ft. retic or burm though lol...

Thanks

Re: Wanting to get a BCI pretty soon

Well since you have a ball python, I too have confidence in you. My boa is still a little guy, but I haven't had much difference husbandry wise (although my husbandry basics might be higher than others)...serisouly the only real difference between the two is the boa likes to be handled more often.

I would def. recommend JimiSnakes, I know there are many other breeders out there, but his service and feedback is realllllly good and from what I have seen and judging from my snake he def has the cleanest boas (without the peppering).

My advice is just do it...get paypal ready do it and don't look back.

!| ~ JP ~ |!
    Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Ball Python: Samuel L. Jackson
    1.0 Pastel Red-Tail Boa: Twitch

Thanks

Well we do have a 9 foot female BCI in the house and we do love having her. Granted we adopted her as an adult but she was so well cared for and socialized that she's a dream to handle. You do have to be smart though with a snake that powerful. You forget for one minute that this is a creature of pure muscle and instinct, you can get schooled. Just remember to respect what she is and what she isn't.

We have Tequila housed in a custom enclosure we created from a solid walled interior closet in our livingroom. It allows her over 6 x 3.5 of floor space and 9 vertical feet of climbing height. She has a natural barked tree in there to assist her in climbing to her basking shelf which is just over 5 feet off the floor. However, she can reach that shelf without using her tree. It's pretty amazing to watch a snake that large basically stand on her tail, then do a chin up that would make a marine jealous.

Best advice, get your female from a great breeder especially if you are investing in a het (Jimi would be my first pick too). Get her young and raise her right. Socialize but don't over stress. Plan for her future so she won't end up another big snake without a home. Jamie Glass was kind enough to take Tequila in when she became in need and then fostered her for years until we adopted her from him but a lot of these bigger snakes are VERY hard to place at maturity.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I've heard good things about Jimi too. I dunno I might not even get a het since the bulk of my investment is going to be in BP morphs. Still, I'll probably get one from him with all the great feedback I keep hearing.

Thanks

I love my BPs immensley, but my BCI is a lot more fun, lol! I just love him, he is almost a year old and is showing a distinct personality already. He is very curious and attentive, and very deliberate with his actions. And they are just gorgeous! Even the normals! I can't wait for the little guy to get bigger. I definantly suggest starting out with a hatchling. They grow like weeds and it is very rewarding to see them get steadily bigger and bigger.
    1.1ballpythons(normal)-Arwen, Montague
    1.0ballpython(pastel)-Shan Longshanks
    0.1ballpython(spider)-Pippa Willow
    1.0redtailboa-Inigo
    0.1redtailboa(salmon)-Imogen
    1.0redbloodpython-Fergis

Thanks

Not to hijack your thread but heck, I love boas. Some pictures to tempt you.

My hubby, Mike, and a rescue named Rauri (now renamed Sonja and living in Texas).....

She sure loved hockey!.....

My teenage kids with Tequila, the 9 foot female....

My son with a determined Rauri. She was trying to get from his body into our Christmas tree LOL

How can you not love a Boa face (Deigo a snake we boarded last year)....

Tequila climbing her tree up to her basking platform....

Oh I like this bed! For size reference, that's a 9 foot snake on a king size bed.

Tequila hanging out with my best friend Sherrie (who has never handled a large snake but was totally into it). For size reference that couch is about 8 feet end to end.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post

My hubby, Mike, and a rescue named Rauri (now renamed Sonja and living in Texas).....

She sure loved hockey!.....

My teenage kids with Tequila, the 9 foot female....

My son with a determined Rauri. She was trying to get from his body into our Christmas tree LOL

How can you not love a Boa face (Deigo a snake we boarded last year)....

Tequila climbing her tree up to her basking platform....

Oh I like this bed! For size reference, that's a 9 foot snake on a king size bed.

Tequila hanging out with my best friend Sherrie (who has never handled a large snake but was totally into it). For size reference that couch is about 8 feet end to end.
    I hate you so hard right now...

But in a good way!

Thanks

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

Seriously though, as much as I love our ball pythons and am totally dedicated to our breeding plans for them - well the house would be empty feeling without a boa or two in it. They really do make wonderful companion type snakes if you understand them and if you handle them with respect, consistency and firm guidance (never let a boa be in charge LOL).

Too bad you didn't live close though. I'm always looking for somebody to come crawl into Tequila's huge home and muck out her Great Dane size feces.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post

Nice pics...can't wait for mine to get there few more years

!| ~ JP ~ |!
    Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Ball Python: Samuel L. Jackson
    1.0 Pastel Red-Tail Boa: Twitch

Thanks

Ok one last question and I know this is noob. In the event that I don't get into base housing I DO have a 20L tank that will shoehorn into a location in where I am now so I'm just wondering if that would be ok for a year or is that just wishful thinking for a boa?

I will NOT do anything to compromise the health of an animal just because I couldn't wait for a year, if it came down to it I'd wait rather than get one now and not have room when the animal needed it, this is why I ask. And no, there is no question that I'll be moving in a year, that is set in stone because that's when I get out of the Air Force.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast