Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,376

3 members and 3,373 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

question about my snake and her hides

I got indica (my snake) yesterday, and she has not used her hides yet at all. I was wondering if this is bad or if this is normal that she hasnt used them right away.

here is a picture of her tub

http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/k...kbetter001.jpg

she pushed the hide that is on the uth over(the right side) and just sits on the uth. my cool side is 77degrees and my warm side is 89 degrees currently.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: question about my snake and her hides

The warm side needs to be 92-94
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

I would give her a while to settle in. She probably just isn't used to her new enclosure yet. BTW, she is beautiful.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

i know the temps are suposed to be 92 but i am having alot of trouble regulating the temps. i have to mess with the t-stat alot or else sometimes it goes hot and sometimes goes cold. i dont know what thats all about

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by First_Phantom View Post
    i know the temps are suposed to be 92 but i am having alot of trouble regulating the temps. i have to mess with the t-stat alot or else sometimes it goes hot and sometimes goes cold. i dont know what thats all about
    It looks like the probe is taped to the bottom of the enclosure? Or sitting on the paper towel?

The probe should be somewhere she can't urinate on it, and somewhere fastened securely. I recommend taping it directly to the heat tape, outside the enclosure for safety reasons. If she bumps it off that heat tape currently, it will get very very hot. Not to mention your temps may be fluctuating now as she lays on it/ bumps it.

JonV

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nevohraalnavnoj For This Useful Post:

First_Phantom (03-09-2009),Toronto Python Gurus (03-09-2009)

Thanks

awesome. i did as u said and taped the probe to the UTH under the tub. thanks for the advice

Thanks

Your welcome. A temp gun (www.tempgun.com) is always a great investment. Keep that thermostat at such a temp so it's 89-92 on her belly in the tub (that's measured in the tub, not necessary on the thermostat).

Getting your ambient temps up/consistent may be another step, depending on the temperatures in your room. Many times those UTH don't do much for the ambient temps.

JonV

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Thermostat probe goes on the OUTSIDE of the tub right on the UTH. The Accurite probe goes on the INSIDE of the tub, under the substrate and right on top of the UTH.

That should help you to get the right temps.

She isn't using her hides yet because she is still stressed from the move. Give her a little while to settle in and she will start using her hides.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

i actually have 2 accurites and no probe for my t-stat. my t-stat is actually a lamp light dimmer but i was told they work the same. I have the probe for the cool side on the inside of my tub on the wall and the probe to measre my warm side i put underneath the tub right on the UTH. so far the temps seem to be more stable.

i do not really use substrate just paper towels. but like nevohraalnavnoj said she might urinate on the probe since i have paper towels only so im guessing putting the probe on the heater isnt a bad idea.

right now its been at a quite stable 90-92degrees.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by First_Phantom View Post
    i actually have 2 accurites and no probe for my t-stat. my t-stat is actually a lamp light dimmer but i was told they work the same. I have the probe for the cool side on the inside of my tub on the wall and the probe to measre my warm side i put underneath the tub right on the UTH. so far the temps seem to be more stable.

i do not really use substrate just paper towels. but like nevohraalnavnoj said she might urinate on the probe since i have paper towels only so im guessing putting the probe on the heater isnt a bad idea.

right now its been at a quite stable 90-92degrees.
    You don't need two accurites. The indoor temperature will measure your ambient and cool side temp and the probe (outside temp) will measure your hot side temp. Put the entire unit on the cool side. Put the probe right on the plastic over the UTH underneath the paper towels. It doesn't matter if she pees on it really. They are water tight. It is the THERMOSTAT probe that you should worry about, but since you don't have one, it doesn't matter.

A light dimmer does not work the same as a Thermostat. As you can already tell, maintaining a steady temperature with a dimmer is pretty hard unless your room temperature doesn't fluctuate much. I would seriously consider getting a thermostat. It will make your life infinitely easier and make a safer environment for your snake.
    ~Steffe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

First_Phantom (03-09-2009)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast