Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,390

0 members and 3,390 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Setting Up Business - Requesting Advice

So...I went through all my reptile receipts from 2008. After looking at the total year expenditure, I think it's time to talk to an accountant and examine how best to set up small business...since I plan on having my reptiles for quite some time, and hopefully will have a few offspring to sell this year. Of course, and more acquisitions to come.

I'd like some thoughts from folks who have some experience with the business end. Specifically how the business itself is structured and most importantly, the critical start-up steps that need to be taken.

It would be nice to write off some of these expenses, money which I'm going to spend anyway :-)

Please PM or email me with any advice or input. icatsme@mac.com

Thanks ever so much!
    Staci

iherp...do you?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Setting Up Business - Requesting Advice

Is breeding snakes a hobby or a business venture for you? Writing off expenses sometimes is not worth the 15-25% taxes they take from you.

Chris

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clear For This Useful Post:

Icatsme (03-08-2009)

Thanks

i would urge you to look into the livestock laws in your state and also if exotics are covered under those. alot of breeders typically are run like farms

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nixer For This Useful Post:

Icatsme (03-08-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clear View Post
    Is breeding snakes a hobby or a business venture for you? Writing off expenses sometimes is not worth the 15-25% taxes they take from you.

Chris
    Agreed.

As a hobby you can write off what you make with the expenses for that year. As a business you have to pay into social security and other minimum tax stuff as well as save records and be subject to an audit. if you dont make a living at it, it may not be worth it.

My advice, fly under the radar.

Thanks

id like to add that being a business also requires you to do sales tax. where a farming there of allows for alot but doesnt require as much as what a retail business would entail. either way neither would get you factory direct pricing on anything, but if you bought enough at one time it could

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle View Post
    Agreed.

As a hobby you can write off what you make with the expenses for that year. As a business you have to pay into social security and other minimum tax stuff as well as save records and be subject to an audit. if you dont make a living at it, it may not be worth it.

My advice, fly under the radar.
    It's come to my attention that some may have misconstrued my meaning when I said, "under the radar" as hiding income from the government.

That was not my intention whatsoever.

Whenever one has concerns about taxes one should speak to a CPA.
    That is what I have done. I have my own business, not breeding snakes, and my accountant has told me my snake hobby is just that a hobby and not subject to the same tax scrutiny as my real business. Just like if I made cupcakes for a bake sale or had a garage sale, these are obviously not businesses.

My comment "flying under the radar" meant keep it as a hobby, which it is until the time it is becomes an an actual business, thus on the radar. In other words dont classify it as something it is not.

I am in no way an accountant but do pay one and thought I would share some advice that was given to me.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programing
    Last edited by West Coast Jungle; 03-19-2009 at 08:09 PM.

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle View Post
    Agreed.

As a hobby you can write off what you make with the expenses for that year.
    Can you explain this part a little more in detail? Like an example? Thanks!
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iCandiBallPythons View Post
    Can you explain this part a little more in detail? Like an example? Thanks!
    If you spent $5,000 on your hobby the most you can write off is $5,000 against $5,000 of sales so basically its a wash. You can never show a loss, thus no tax advantage. Ends up being a big 0 on your return and not really changing much. Thats why hobbies are not under the scrutiny of a business.

A business is different, even if your business is negative(showing a loss) you still owe a minimum business/self employment tax, have to pay into social security and be responsible for keeping accounting records for several years because you could be subject to an audit.

This is not the case with a hobby so why would you call your hobby a business.

Now once again I am not an accountant.

So please dont do your taxes based on some thread you read on the internet. Everyones tax situation is different. There are sole proprietors, partnerships, LLC's and many other variables, business taxes are way more complicated than I could ever explain and I am no expert. I am just going by what I have been told by my accountant/tax preparer from my particular situation.

Please refer to a CPA when preparing you income taxes, making any investment or business decision.

Last edited by West Coast Jungle; 03-20-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Forgot to say $5,000 of sales in my example

11. The Following User Says Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

iCandiBallPythons (03-22-2009)

Thanks

Go talk to an accountant and don't listen to advice given on a forum. You can take a loss on your personal taxes from a loss in your business.

This is the wrong place to seek such advice. Talking to an accountant and the advice given would be well worth the fee for the hour.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
    Go talk to an accountant and don't listen to advice given on a forum. You can take a loss on your personal taxes from a loss in your business.

This is the wrong place to seek such advice. Talking to an accountant and the advice given would be well worth the fee for the hour.
    I completely disagree with you. Why not come to a forum that is littered with breeders who are running a business successfully and pick their brain?

Maybe someone has shed some light on a topic which the OP may have overlooked....I have already seen one example in this thread.

We are here to help....please dont tell the posters what advice to take, and not to take. In the end, it is up to the OP whether or not they want to take the advice of an individual.
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast