Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,780

0 members and 1,780 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Watering System Resevoirs

How did you put the whole in your reservoir for the connector. I imagine it has to be a nearly perfect (if not perfect) circle in order to get a good seal. Also, what do you do to fill your reservoirs.
    We used a big drill.

I don't know if it is the norm to just remove the line from the barb and use the shut-off, or if that process repeated over and over will eventually damage the tubing, in which case you either use something else to fill it in place, or keep taking off the connector, which I think would lead to similar problems.
    Not sure what you mean? You fill the reservoir with a bucket of water, or a really long hose.

Thanks

Gotcha...I figured that would be the case.

Any ideas on how to get the hole in a potential reservoir without a drill...perhaps with a soldering iron or a sturdy utility knife? I can get to a drill, but it would potentially be a big hassle. Also, if a drill really is the only way, do you know the measurement to use for the RBI tank connector?
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThyTempest View Post
    Gotcha...I figured that would be the case.

Any ideas on how to get the hole in a potential reservoir without a drill...perhaps with a soldering iron or a sturdy utility knife? I can get to a drill, but it would potentially be a big hassle. Also, if a drill really is the only way, do you know the measurement to use for the RBI tank connector?
    That'd be a question for Chris, I have no idea about what size, or what else to use.

The tub we had surprisingly had a little circle just about the right size and in the right place where we put the connector.

Thanks

i use a step drill bit it doesnt leave burs

Thanks

Found everything I needed to finish off the supply list for the watering system today. It took a lot of searching (2 Meijers, Walmart, Home Depot and Target) before I found the tub. The 1x4's were cut from an 8foot 1x4 from Home Depot's scratch bin. 49 cent's because it had too much orange paint on the ends. Perfectly straight and I still have quite a bit left over for something else...I dunno. Voila. Thanks to everyone for all the tips and advice along the way. I can't wait to be free of water bottles.

-Austin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

When you borrow the drill, ask if they have a unibit (sp). It's a cone shaped drill bit
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. Our stuff to get going should be here Thursday.

I think this is my last question...

How did you put the whole in your reservoir for the connector. I imagine it has to be a nearly perfect (if not perfect) circle in order to get a good seal. Also, what do you do to fill your reservoirs. I don't know if it is the norm to just remove the line from the barb and use the shut-off, or if that process repeated over and over will eventually damage the tubing, in which case you either use something else to fill it in place, or keep taking off the connector, which I think would lead to similar problems.
    When you order the connector from RBI, it will come with instructions and tell you what size drill bit to buy inorder to drill the correct size hole in the bucket.
    To fill your bucket, either use a hose or use old water gallon jugs....I would not keep removing the tubing...
    ****Best Advise*** Buy extra supplies, sippers and tubing.....Sippers clog and its easier to replace right away (then its no rush to fix the old one) and rats will get out (no matter how careful you are, it'll happen) . When they get out they chew water lines. Much easier to replace water lines when you have 20ft or so sitting around, instead of waiting a few days for a shipment to come in.....

Thanks

Found everything I needed to finish off the supply list for the watering system today. It took a lot of searching (2 Meijers, Walmart, Home Depot and Target) before I found the tub. The 1x4's were cut from an 8foot 1x4 from Home Depot's scratch bin. 49 cent's because it had too much orange paint on the ends. Perfectly straight and I still have quite a bit left over for something else...I dunno. Voila. Thanks to everyone for all the tips and advice along the way. I can't wait to be free of water bottles.

Thats the exact same tub we have! Good job finding it.

Thanks

I only spent 2 hours driving around town checking every place that sells anything sterilite to find it....then I go back to the Meijer(for groceries this time) I had been to earlier in the day looking for a tub, and they had since stocked this. Couldn't have been 2 hours earlier, noooo that would have made my life far too easy. Pfft....I hate my life.
    -Austin

Thanks

Just finished installing the watering system. What a pain in the ass without a drill. My uncle was kind enough to give me his old drill...and now I know why. Both of the batteries hold a charge for about 6 seconds (literally) of usuable torque, then its back on the charger for at least an hour before you get your 6 seconds back. I used my first good spurt of energy from the drill to start the "ring" and at least get the pilot drilled in the reservoir. After that, I just used the spade bit by hand until the plastic would pop out. No drill makes securing the clamps a pain too...I had to use an awl for pilot holes, and of course the only flat head screwdriver I had was on my leatherman...not the easiest to work with.

I checked all the valves, and all of them seem to be set perfectly already, but I will keep an eye on them over the next few days. Thanks to Rich at RBI for all the gear.

Oh--by far the biggest annoyance with this system is the valve clips. They are soooo stiff it was hard to get the valves in the hardware cloth. My fingers are raw. None of our rats have tried it out yet, but one of them has been sitting under it staring at it for a couple of minutes now.

Best thing about it...I can hear myself think without the "clack clack clack!" of the ratties taking a drink break. Not having to fill a ton of bottles is great too.

I know we all thrive on pics, even ones as lame as this, but here you go. Thanks to everyone for the tips on good reservoirs, I am happy with the result.

STUPID PHOTOBUCKET!!! ARG! I hate photobucket...it never does what I say anymore.
    Finally.
    Last edited by ThyTempest; 03-15-2009 at 06:17 PM.
    -Austin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast