Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,404

3 members and 3,401 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Feeding problem (maybe).

Hey BP.net! This is my first time posting but have been reading thread after thread learning all i can to have a healthy & happy BP. Well i got my first Ball about a month and half ago and he is Great, i love the little guy and cant wait to get more. Here is the thing, it probably is not a big deal but i thought i should just get input. I have been feeding about every 5-7 days and have had no problems at all, but today was feeding day and my little guy struck and balled him up but could not seem to position the mouse the right way to get him down, he was trying to eat him sideways. After a while he just gave up. Soo i tried again with another mouse and he had the same problem. Could this be and issue or am i just worrying to much? Also im feeding F/T.

Thanks for any help!

David.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: Feeding problem (maybe).

How long did you wait before removing the prey item? Usually I just leave it in there and they figure it out. You could always try re-offering the prey item on tongs.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

If she is a baby then it may be just some slight confusion. If you leave the prey in she should come back to it eventually in a few hours. I have had several try to eat sideways they give up but come back the same day usually. If she doesn't take it within 24 hours you should remove it and dispose of it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to snakedork For This Useful Post:

NeGum (03-04-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakedork View Post
    If she is a baby then it may be just some slight confusion. If you leave the prey in she should come back to it eventually in a few hours. I have had several try to eat sideways they give up but come back the same day usually. If she doesn't take it within 24 hours you should remove it and dispose of it.
    Wow, 24 hours? i take him out the tank and put into a different tub while feeding. I let him sit there for about 2 hours and he just lost interest so i just tossed the mouse. How long so you think i should wait before trying to re feed?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeGum View Post
    Wow, 24 hours? i take him out the tank and put into a different tub while feeding. I let him sit there for about 2 hours and he just lost interest so i just tossed the mouse. How long so you think i should wait before trying to re feed?
    I would try feeding in his normal enclosure. If he gives up on the food, heat it back up and re-offer it. I would give it two tries and then toss the mouse.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

I'll give it a shot and see how it goes!

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

agreed. feed it in the enclosure. If you want to remove it in the future for whatever reason that is up to you... but i would leave it in the enclosure till you get it back on track.

Don't try to feed it again for one full week. Very frustrating because nobody ever listens to this advice... trust me. wait a full week (7 days) before trying again. it will NOT starve.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Mike is totally right. If you wait the week she will definately be hungry. It will help to keep her from getting discouraged. Use the hunger of your snake to your advantage. Some times but rarely they will thrill kill. Kill the mouse to just keep it from disturbing them. When I say rarely its maybe happened to me 2 or 3 times in over 9 years.

Thanks

Try to heat up the upper body of the mouse more than the rest.

I achieve this buy placing the F/T mouse in a bag and placing it in the hottest water from the tap, head first into a cup.
    Enzi - 0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    Sparky - 1.0 Adult dog (mixed breed)
    2.0 Silver dollar fish

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

They do get confused sometimes. Remember, no Ball Python ever launched a Space Shuttle. 99 times out of 100, they will figure it out if you give them enough time. I think all of mine have done this several times over...especially my Normal, but he's a little special, if you know what I mean.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like